Slim Fast - yes or no?

Options
So ive been struggling recently wih sticking to a good eating routine and keep finding myself giving in to temptation. Therefor, even though im exercising alot, im not actually losing anything.

A friend suggested i try slim fast for a month as my kick start as if i see good results it might help motivate me to work harder.

Has anyone tried it? Have you had good or bad results from it?

Id love some honest answers. If its the worst idea please say! If you have any other suggestions on how to kick start things then please let me know. I feel like i have come to a standstill!

Replies

• RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    No. Sorry I can't think of a better answer. No. Just...no.
  • LearnFromTheRed
    LearnFromTheRed Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    You need to start logging and stop giving into temptation before trying something like that, I fear. Then you'll find you don't actually need anything like that!
  • AJinBirmingham
    Options
    I've not tried SlimFast, but I occasionally eat a Zone Meal Replacement bar instead of real food when I'm too busy to stop.

It's not ideal, but it's better than junk.

Using meal replacements as a kick start on a temporary basis won't harm you and it might work. I don't think I could do it, but I wish you every success if you try.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    What is a "Kick Start"?
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I would say no. I'm okay with them for a kick start on a diet, but not for the whole diet - unless you only have 5 pounds to lose or something. For someone with a moderate or large amount of weight to lose - they need to address the habits and issues that got them to that weight. Not to mention, however you lost the weight is also how you will keep it off. Can you do slimfast the rest of your life and be good with that?

I personally don't do well on them. I drink one for breakfast - good to go. One for lunch - and BOOM I'm starving before supper. A tiny cookie snack bar in between does not satisfy me. Just enough to anger the appetite monster. Then I have reactive hypoglycemic episode from too much carb and not enough fat/protein with it. So for me - no, never again. I can tolerate Atkins shakes and bars a little better, but there again, I wouldn't choose that for a lifetime either.
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    What is a "Kick Start"?

Just a way to "break" your routine and get the weight dropping. I don't think anyone should do these for more than a week or so. It's not learning to eat right, it's just getting things going the right way. Not for the long term.
  • lcfairbairn74
    lcfairbairn74 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    My advice would be to stay away from Slim Fast. I tried it (before I came to my senses :wink: ) and it damaged my gastro-intestinal system really badly. It's also packed full of sugar which results in huge sugar highs and crashes. Honestly, all you need is a calorie deficit. The one tool that helped me immensely is pre-planning. If you pre-plan your day (or week) in advance, you take away the urge to reach for something when you are hungry without thinking about it. Try and put some snacks in your diary too if you find that too long between meals causes the type of hunger which means you make poorer choices :smile:
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    What is a "Kick Start"?

Just a way to "break" your routine and get the weight dropping. I don't think anyone should do these for more than a week or so. It's not learning to eat right, it's just getting things going the right way. Not for the long term.

If it isn't something that you should do long term, why do it for even a week?
  • blah2989
    blah2989 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Have you tried drinking 8oz of water before eating? I dont care for slimfast, honestly. I personally felt like I needed to eat more than one light meal. The shakes never held me and I ended up gaining a few pounds instead of losing.
  • AndyRogan
    AndyRogan Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I try to plan out all 3 meals for the day, then know exactly how many calories I have left for the day.
    If I fancy a treat, I make sure that I have enough calories, and then have a friend also using mfp to decide whether its a good idea and suggest alternatives.

Its always hard at the start but is harder if you try to do it alone
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    So ive been struggling recently wih sticking to a good eating routine and keep finding myself giving in to temptation. Therefor, even though im exercising alot, im not actually losing anything.

A friend suggested i try slim fast for a month as my kick start as if i see good results it might help motivate me to work harder.

Id love some honest answers. If its the worst idea please say! If you have any other suggestions on how to kick start things then please let me know. I feel like i have come to a standstill!

As your diary is open I took a little peek, bad me I know!!

But you do not log your food, your diary is empty? For the last 5 days that I checked, maybe you logged before that?

What I am trying to say is maybe you should try to log and go with the whole MFP thing that you have registered with to see if it works for you before going with the diet shakes?
  • Simone_King
    Simone_King Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I do a slimfast every once and while. However, I don't that, mostly, as a snack to keep my cals. Not for a meal.

It depends on what you want. It won't hurt to put it apart of your diet.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    No.

Slim Fast is not a lifestyle
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    No. I keep Atkins shakes around but I don't use them regularly....just once in a while when I don't have time for breakfast and I have to take my meds.
  • krifitzp
    krifitzp Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I agree that the following the whole SlimFast program is not a good idea, but I actually really like the shakes as a tool. When I'm running late in the mornings or starving in the afternoon, I like to grab one. There probably are far better options, but in my opinion, these taste good and fill me up for a few hours.
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    Nope.

A simple caloric deficit.
  • sozisraw
    sozisraw Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Big NO! Ive tried it a few times, never kept the weight off and even later in life didn't lose a thing!
  • mmshurtliff
    mmshurtliff Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have a really hard time not giving into temptations and in order for me to do well on a diet I have to reward myself. Like for instance, I told myself that after 6 days of eating what I should, I went to a party and ate whatever I wanted. Once in a while, a treat won't kill you. Make goals and reward yourself once you make them. Also, look at pinterest for tons of healthy recipes that are DELICIOUS! your taste buds won't even know that it's diet food! As for the slim fast, stay away if you can!
  • TipTopMMR
    TipTopMMR Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with everything below. There's no quick fix; you just gotta do the work. The work gets easier, but it's still work.

But you do not log your food, your diary is empty? For the last 5 days that I checked, maybe you logged before that?

What I am trying to say is maybe you should try to log and go with the whole MFP thing that you have registered with to see if it works for you before going with the diet shakes?
  • DragonSquatter
    DragonSquatter Posts: 957 Member
    Options

^ This.

OP: don't expect results you didn't earn. Put the work in.