No.
  • waipepe
    waipepe Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    NO
  • mia0606
    mia0606 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    NO! I've heard so many bad things about it! Especially that it contains metals and other crap! Don't put that stuff into your system. Eating CLEAN and working out is the best way to go! Watch your diet in general! Remember, it's not JUST about the calories, it's the KIND of food you are putting into your body!
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    NO! I've heard so many bad things about it! Especially that it contains metals and other crap! Don't put that stuff into your system. Eating CLEAN and working out is the best way to go! Watch your diet in general! Remember, it's not JUST about the calories, it's the KIND of food you are putting into your body!

... metals like... iron? Yeah - steer clear of it. Anemia is the new black.
  • PaulJRaymond
    PaulJRaymond Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Rather than chemicals, why not create your own smoothies, where you can control the sugar involved. A banana, skimmed milk and a handful of strawberries/raspeberries/peaches are all you need. If you also want to think about meal replacement with good healthy meals, I recommend looking at these web sites for recipes for smoothies and juices. Lots of people having real success, although I can't commit to it 24/7, I have fruit/vegetable juice for breakfast and lunch and it works well.

http://www.rebootwithjoe.com/
    http://www.juicemaster.com/

Water is a chemical, and that juicing nonsense makes no more sense than slimfast.

I'm disappointed to discover we are from the same country, I expect more, from the whole of the UK.

Ok, you are entitled to your opinion. Watch this and explain the flaw to me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuJrfYG7oh8

If you think this regime is akin to slimfast - with its preservatives etc - then I will be very surprised. Am I officially the only disappointing person in the UK?
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Rather than chemicals, why not create your own smoothies, where you can control the sugar involved. A banana, skimmed milk and a handful of strawberries/raspeberries/peaches are all you need. If you also want to think about meal replacement with good healthy meals, I recommend looking at these web sites for recipes for smoothies and juices. Lots of people having real success, although I can't commit to it 24/7, I have fruit/vegetable juice for breakfast and lunch and it works well.

http://www.rebootwithjoe.com/
    http://www.juicemaster.com/

Water is a chemical, and that juicing nonsense makes no more sense than slimfast.

I'm disappointed to discover we are from the same country, I expect more, from the whole of the UK.

Ok, you are entitled to your opinion. Watch this and explain the flaw to me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuJrfYG7oh8

If you think this regime is akin to slimfast - with its preservatives etc - then I will be very surprised. Am I officially the only disappointing person in the UK?

In summary, the guy is a complete fruit cake.

Please, if you or anyone you know has anything wrong with them, go and see a fully qualified NHS doctor that you and I have already paid for.
  • PaulJRaymond
    Options
    Was hoping for a more detailed reason why it doesn't work, but being a fruitcake will have to do.
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    Was hoping for a more detailed reason why it doesn't work, but being a fruitcake will have to do.

Both the guy in your video http://www.jaykordich.com/warranty/ and Joe the Juicer are juicer salesmen, no more, no less. The feature length advert where Joe travels the country selling juicers and giving out samples is nothing more than an advert.
    It's all just completely fabricated nonsense in order to convince people that they need a juicer, when the fibre they got from eating the complete food items would to them far more benefit.
    All of the extra vitamins you get in your body through juicing is just making your pee more nutritious.

I'm still waiting for an update from the British Dietetic Association to address the new fad being caused by Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead reaching channel 5. They seem to be taking forever.
  • IronSmasher
    Options
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    Here's the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics on your fruit cake

http://www.eatright.org/Media/content.aspx?id=10484#.UhOU-5IsmSo
  • beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I tried them. They didn't really work for me. What worked is watching what I eat and going to the gym and tracking with MFP. It takes a couple weeks to get into a solid routine.
  • merlewalton
    merlewalton Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I use slim fast and so far I've lost 15 pounds in 3 weeks.

It's the same as anything else you have to use it right. I buy the cans of mix and I mix it in with Skim milk in shaker bottles. I usually have 4 to 5 a day and then if I need more calories I eat something like a can of chunky beef soup.

I'm not sure why there are so many slim fast haters out there. The shakes taste good, the way I make them, and they keep me full for 2-3 hours. In 1 cup of skim milk with 1 scoop of shake mix there is about 200 calories. so 5 is around 1000 calories and then a can of soup is about 250ish calories so it keeps me around 1250 to 1300 calories (some times I use 1 1/2 cups of skim milk). It keeps my body out of starvation mode, because I eat so often it keeps my metabolism going, and I run for exercise (I've run 4 5k's in 3 weeks and I've only been running 3 weeks.). I've gone from 241 to 225.

So for those people who are saying "No" or "Slim fast is crap". They don't know what their talking about or doing. Feel free to msg me on here and we can talk about it. I think it's a great product but you can't use just any way.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    No.
  • cmath81
    cmath81 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    NNNNNNOOOOOOOO to slim fast, please.
    Ingredients:
    FAT FREE MILK, WATER, SUGAR, COCOA (PROCESSED WITH ALKALI), CANOLA OIL, MILK PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, FRUCTOSE, GUM ARABIC, CELLULOSE GEL, MONO AND DIGLYCERIDES, HYDROGENATED SOYBEAN OIL, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, POTASSIUM PHOSPHATE, MALTODEXTRIN, SOY LECITHIN, CELLULOSE GUM, CARRAGEENAN, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, SODIUM BICARBONATE, SUCRALOSE AND ACESULFAME POTASSIUM (NONNUTRITIVE SWEETENERS), SODIUM CITRATE, CITRIC ACID,MAGNESIUM PHOSPHATE, CALCIUM PHOSPHATE, SODIUM ASCORBATE, VITAMIN E ACETATE, ZINC GLUCONATE, FERRIC ORTHOPHOSPHATE, NIACINAMIDE, CALCIUM PANTOTHENATE, MANGANESE SULFATE, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE, RIBOFLAVIN, THIAMIN MONONITRATE, FOLIC ACID, CHROMIUM CHLORIDE, BIOTIN, SODIUM MOLYBDATE, POTASSIUM IODIDE, PHYLLOQUINONE (VITAMIN K1), SODIUM SELENITE, CYANOCOBALAMIN (VITAMIN B12), CHOLECALCIFEROL (VITAMIN D3). SWEETENED WITH NUTRITIVE SWEETENERS AND NONNUTRITIVE SWEETENERS. CONTAINS MILK AND SOY.

SUGAR!!!! really this is food??!!

EAT REAL FOOD, you can do it.
  • merlewalton
    merlewalton Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Get past the words, if your not a nut, and look at the numbers that make a difference calories, fat, protein, and carbs. That's what we are tracking on here to keep yourself from overeating.

The shakes do a great job of keeping you full and not having a ton of calories. I highly suggest you get the powder can and skim milk and at least try it out (I am not a sales man I work in food safety and quality for a yogurt plant actually). Make shakes of 1 to 1 1/2 cups of skim with one scoop full and try them out for a week and see how you like it. If you don't that's cool I love chocolate royale.

Typically I end up with around 1200 to 1300 calories, the carbs the site tells me to have, double he protein, and half the fat.

I forgot to say that I also have a recovery shake for after running so I don't have a buildup of lactic acid in my muscles and that's what has made it so I could keep running every day. Before without it I wouldn't ever want to keep running because of the muscle pain from the previous run. Now I run 5k's... it's a no brainer.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    NO.
  • Minnie2361
    Minnie2361 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    There no real fibre in this product. You want to keep your engine running and the flow going then you need healthy foods not a supplement that reads like baby formula.

There are 40 ingredients in it , the first is sugar!!! Slimfast is featured in the BBC doc below. The founder blames the person not product for its failure to work!!!!

the men who made us think episode 1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiXicpOJRYY
  • Charweezie
    Charweezie Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to replace a meal i would consider a Protein shake instead of slim fast. It helped me lose my first 8 lbs.
  • PaulJRaymond
    Options

Both the guy in your video http://www.jaykordich.com/warranty/ and Joe the Juicer are juicer salesmen, no more, no less. The feature length advert where Joe travels the country selling juicers and giving out samples is nothing more than an advert.
    It's all just completely fabricated nonsense in order to convince people that they need a juicer, when the fibre they got from eating the complete food items would to them far more benefit.
    All of the extra vitamins you get in your body through juicing is just making your pee more nutritious.

I'm still waiting for an update from the British Dietetic Association to address the new fad being caused by Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead reaching channel 5. They seem to be taking forever.

Thanks for the reply, appreciated. I will look at your links.
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Ugh so much fail from so many people.
    Meal replacement is a joke - eat real food because you aren't a child.
    There is nothing in slim fast that is going to make you die or even make you sick. Just because something is processed doesn't make it bad.
    OP - I advise against slimfast as a meal replacement. I also don't think its macros are great. If you want to keep some around for when you're on the go then go for it. It's better than nothing.
    /thread