Cold sores / fever blisters

Does anyone suffer as I do from cold sores/ fever blisters? I try to avoid foods that are said that can trigger outbreaks, nuts, oats etc. I don’t want to eliminate these foods, but I also don’t want outbreaks. If anyone also suffers can you tell me if you have changed your diet.

Replies

• ThatJuJitsuWoman
    ThatJuJitsuWoman Posts: 155 Member
    I get cold sores when I’m run down and not eating well. I haven’t changed my diet specifically to get rid of the cold sores, but I get them less often when I eat plenty of fruit and veg and keep my stress levels as low as possible (not always possible I know!).
    I’ve never heard the theory that nuts and oats trigger outbreaks, but I eat both and I haven’t noticed a link.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Diet makes no difference for me. Stress and exhaustion lead to them for me.

Same for me. And getting a fever. I've had them on and off since childhood, usually 2-3 times per year.
    This is probably NOT advisable...but it's been a game changer for both me and my best girlfriend. When I get one I burst it ASAP and soak the skin with rubbing alcohol. Hurts like the dickens but it goes away about 70% faster. YMMV
  • MarcyMavin
    MarcyMavin Posts: 142 Member
    Stress and sun do it for me. Get a prescription for Valacyclovir. Won’t prevent them , but will stop it from getting larger if you take it as soon as you feel it coming on.
  • ThatJuJitsuWoman
    ThatJuJitsuWoman Posts: 155 Member

This is probably NOT advisable...but it's been a game changer for both me and my best girlfriend. When I get one I burst it ASAP and soak the skin with rubbing alcohol. Hurts like the dickens but it goes away about 70% faster. YMMV

Logically I feel like this should work. Unfortunately I tried it once when I was about 15 and ended up with sores all over my face. 😱 Fairly horrifying for a shy teenager in high school!
  • iheartmyyorkie
    iheartmyyorkie Posts: 163 Member
    Where did you see or hear that certain foods trigger outbreaks? Doesn't seem plausible. Stress is definitely a trigger. I get a cold sore maybe once a year. I rub ice on it for about five minutes. Cold inactivates the virus. Instead of lasting a week or more, it's gone in a day or so. Give it a try.
  • ctx57
    ctx57 Posts: 6 Member
    Google says a diet high in arginine rich foods can activate a cold sore🙁 so I’ve been trying to avoid these foods
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member

Logically I feel like this should work. Unfortunately I tried it once when I was about 15 and ended up with sores all over my face. 😱 Fairly horrifying for a shy teenager in high school!

Oh no!! I've been doing this for maybe 4 to 5 years and I love that it's worked for me because instead of a gross scabby and/or spreading-out mess on my lip for 7-10 days, I just have a painful raw looking small spot for like 2 days.

I have had a cold sore that spread all the way to my nostril though. So gross. I was treating with a prescription cream that just seemed to keep it moist and awful. Yuck.
  • ctx57
    ctx57 Posts: 6 Member
    I’m from the UK & was visiting Florida about 10 years ago when I had a cold sore break out. I went to a local Walmart & asked about a treatment, the pharmacist said to take Lysine pills & avoid food that contained arginine. So I’m now paranoid about eating foods high in arginine 🙁
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    They are triggered by stress. If you get them frequently, Valtrex will help. Also, oil of Oregano.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,193 MFP Moderator
    edited November 2019

Same for me. And getting a fever. I've had them on and off since childhood, usually 2-3 times per year.

OMG, ouch @seltzermint555 - my husband does something similar when he gets poison ivy (except with bleach not rubbing alcohol). I can't bring myself to give myself that amount of pain.

I get cold sores when stressed or sick - diet doesn't have anything to do with it for me. I've found Abreva stops them in their tracks if applied as soon as you feel the tingle. If you apply soon enough, the sore stops growing (stays tiny), and heals really rapidly. You can buy a tiny tube of abreva for about $25 at any pharmacy, but they last forever and are totally worth it.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    My husband takes lysine as soon as he feels a little tingle. I've never seen him with a full blown sore.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member

This ^^^^^

I take lysine tablets at the first sign of an outbreak. Works miracles.

I have not changed my diet and have found no food triggers.