Eliminating SUGAR

Options

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,034 Member
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    OldHobo wrote: »
    I won't say I've eliminated sugar. For all practical purposes I have in fact done just that but I won't say it because of the irrational replies it invokes from people who act offended by the possibility.

For me, it came about gradually by phasing out categories of "foods" one at a time. Didn't switch to sweeteners. Just got used to, and eventually came to prefer foods unsweetened. I never swore an oath of sugar abstinence though. Last year I might have made a cup of hot cocoa three or four times. I might have three or four next year too. If pressed I could come up with more examples of very occasional use.

One of the last regular uses was adding brown sugar to the morning porridge but I weaned myself off that and now it's fine either naturally sweetened with fruit or savory. I've lost over 60 pounds so far and have another 40 or so to go to get to normal or healthy weight. When I get there, maybe I'll consider having an occasional dessert. But until then it's easier to skip them altogether than struggle with moderation. If moderating food came easy I wouldn't have become obese in the first place. To all the people who will have the irresistible compulsion to click disagree, I remind you, I'm not taking a position one way or the other on what you should do. And maybe I'll add that if the original poster decides to eliminate added sugars, that won't affect you either.

So you don't eat any fruits? Where do you get some of the key vitamins and minerals from then?

I just saw in another post that he had beets in his diary. Where do people think refined sugar generally comes from? Cane and...beets.

FTR, sugar beets are a different cultivar from regular vegetable beets. Very different. Look more like a fat, stubby parsnip.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I won't say I've eliminated sugar. For all practical purposes I have in fact done just that but I won't say it because of the irrational replies it invokes from people who act offended by the possibility.

For me, it came about gradually by phasing out categories of "foods" one at a time. Didn't switch to sweeteners. Just got used to, and eventually came to prefer foods unsweetened. I never swore an oath of sugar abstinence though. Last year I might have made a cup of hot cocoa three or four times. I might have three or four next year too. If pressed I could come up with more examples of very occasional use.

One of the last regular uses was adding brown sugar to the morning porridge but I weaned myself off that and now it's fine either naturally sweetened with fruit or savory. I've lost over 60 pounds so far and have another 40 or so to go to get to normal or healthy weight. When I get there, maybe I'll consider having an occasional dessert. But until then it's easier to skip them altogether than struggle with moderation. If moderating food came easy I wouldn't have become obese in the first place. To all the people who will have the irresistible compulsion to click disagree, I remind you, I'm not taking a position one way or the other on what you should do. And maybe I'll add that if the original poster decides to eliminate added sugars, that won't affect you either.

So you don't eat any fruits? Where do you get some of the key vitamins and minerals from then?

I just saw in another post that he had beets in his diary. Where do people think refined sugar generally comes from? Cane and...beets.

FTR, sugar beets are a different cultivar from regular vegetable beets. Very different. Look more like a fat, stubby parsnip.

Both got that delicious sugar.
  • AnnPT77
    edited December 2019
    Options

Sure. Lots in the one case (sugar beets), not much in the other (regular red beets).

Dog cookies and Pepperidge Farm Sausalito Milk Chocolate Macadamia Cookies are both "cookies", too, but I'd only eat the latter. Just not the same, not close.

Even if in the debate section, the beet thing . . . ?
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options

Sure. Lots in the one case (sugar beets), not much in the other (regular red beets).

Dog cookies and Pepperidge Farm Sausalito Milk Chocolate Macadamia Cookies are both "cookies", too, but I'd only eat the latter. Just not the same, not close.

Sure, it's the debate section, but the beet thing . . . ?

My point was that he says he has eliminated sugar entirely, but he has not because he eats beets...which have sugar.
  • AnnPT77
    Options

Sure, it's the debate section, but the beet thing . . . ?

My point was that he says he has eliminated sugar entirely, but he has not because he eats beets...which have sugar.

He also said he eats fruit and drinks cocoa.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options

Sugar beets are in the same family as the vegetable beets we eat, but people don’t generally eat them. They do use the pulp of sugar beets for animal feed. He most likely wasn’t eating sugar beets.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

Sugar beets are in the same family as the vegetable beets we eat, but people don’t generally eat them. They do use the pulp of sugar beets for animal feed. He most likely wasn’t eating sugar beets.

Edible beets have sugar.

c1amk6pfa1ia.jpg
  • AnnPT77
    Options

Edible beets have sugar.

c1amk6pfa1ia.jpg

Regular beets have sugar. Sugar beets are typically around 20% sugar by weight. Not even close.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options

Edible beets have sugar.

c1amk6pfa1ia.jpg

A lot of vegetables have sugar. I wasn’t implying that edible beets don’t have sugar. They refine sugar out of sugar beets, not the beets we normally eat. Many foods have naturally occurring sugar. I really don’t understand why some people are trying so hard to demonize sugar.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited December 2019
    Options
    I am no stranger to tracking and diets. I've only been sucessful at losing weight a few times in my life, and they were all while tracking either calories, or points in weight watchers. What I am inquiring about is the topic of sugar. I am reading a book about why to eliminate it entirely. I'm hoping to hear sucess stories of people who have eliminated it, what the benefits are, etc. Tips and suggestions are much encouraged!

If you want to get rid of added or all sugar because you think it will benefit your weight loss journey, there is no reason not to. You have to find what is beneficial to you.

I don't really eat added sugars and my natural sugars are pretty low. I do eat some leafy greens, veggies, berries, and full fat dairy.

Did i have success with a high sugar diet? Yes. I lost 50 lbs. Am i having success from a Keto diet? Yes. I am 5 lbs lower than i even got with my other diet strategies and at a lower than i wad in high school. But this is my success and by no means will it guarantee anyone elses to have the same success.

ETA: from a nutritional standpoint l, there is no benefit from added sugar. But you can get personal enjoyment.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Has anyone actually eliminated added sugar? I did for 12 months. Doing so as one aspect of improving my digestive permiability assisted me in getting my autoimmune numbers undercontrol, it also aided weight loss and before you ask my calories were used far more efficiently to improve my health and I actually needed more food to function properly.

Many women are susceptible to candida, eliminating sugar which is the primary food for the least helpful yeasts can improve health generally. I know most western medics do not see candida as a "real" issue and dole out antibiotics to clear it. Like the chickenpox virus these yeasts hide within the body and waite for the grams of sugar to pass one's lips to come out again, of corse, chicken pox comes out when a body is under stress. Antibiotics are indiscriminate in general and as a by process elimenate more of the most helpful microbes which are in our internal/external organ the digestive tract defined by a special skin, which should be inhabited by helpful digestive microbes which along with digestive and bile acids ensure, in the healthy body, nothing larger than a sugar molecule enters our internal body leeding to molicule mimicry leeding to autoimmune disorders which are increasing in number and distribution exponentially in the western world. Digestive microbes the beneficial ones are there to enable all facilitate our extracting as much nutrition from our foods as we can.

Here in the UK we have been hearing of the Christmas Drinking Chocolate beverages available on the highstreet some of these particularly one containg fudge flavour contain 17 or was it 19 teaspoonsful of sugar in a single portion! Somewhere in the regeon of 700 calories, I would ask anyone to say a product like this would aid anyone's nutritional needs. Normal chocolate beverages are bad enough with 3 and from experience i know there are many who add even more. I strongly suggest 700 calories could be put to much better use than swaping one'self in dilute sugar.

As for all fruits and veg containg some degree of sugar this is true the benefits of having any fruit or veg as "intended" with pulp/natural fibres and all means the sugars are released and absorpbed more equally along with vital vitamins and minerals rather than draining one's insulin supplies which can drain other glands and organs as the body tried to balance the aftereffects effects. Naturally the soluable and insoluable fibres aid the digestive transit which is between once to three times a day reducing constipation, less frequently than everyday can start one on the way down the slipery slope to ill health. I know this statement will be inflamitory to so many of you, giggle.

This information if you would care to look can be found in the writings of on line integrated physicians who want to help us help ourselves to a better quality of life. I know it is going against the grain to advocate sugar avoidance in this day and age but the health costs are greater than our societies can afford.