Low calorie whole meal bread

Options
I am having soup for my office lunches and looking for a low calorie whole meal bread. Can anyone recommend one without me having to do lots of research

Replies

• Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    I like the ones sold as "high fiber". In my area, that is Nature's Own. Since you say "whole meal", I'm guessing UK? I'm not sure of the brand available there, but try looking for one with "high fibre" listed on the front. Also, most of our lower calorie breads make a big point of listing calories per slice on the front, often in a big colorful circle.
  • jwoolman5
    jwoolman5 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I really like Dave's Killer Bread, the 21 grain version. It comes in a thin sliced version as well as regular thick. The thin slices are 1oz and 60 calories each. It is a really sturdy bread, lots of seeds and such.

The ingredients seem to be all organically grown. I'm sensitive to wheat and can't eat that much of it usually or too often, but Dave's doesn't seem to bother me the same way as most breads. Not sure if that's because there is less wheat in it due to everything else, or if I'm actually having problems with pesticide residues. US wheat is heavily dosed throughout the growing cycle, according to a wheat farmer who became sensitive himself. That may be why some wheat sensitive folks report they can eat European wheat or certified organically grown.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Can you tell us where you are located, as generally or specifically as you feel comfortable sharing? Bread availability varies a lot by country and even by region. What works for one person won't be helpful for you if you can't buy it where you are.
  • ksaville30
    ksaville30 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello, thanks everyone. I’m in the UK so won’t have any of the above brands, but thank you for your advice
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    Apart from ‘Nimble’ which I still see from time to time in U.K. supermarkets I don’t think we do ‘low calorie’ bread! You could try nimble or just eat cotton wool, really! 😂

I just calorie budget for great tasting homemade bread when I simply can’t resist, but generally I avoid it - it’s not a thing we have (yet) in the UK., as far as I can see, anyway.
  • freda666
    freda666 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    An alternative is crispbread and Asda do a very nice own brand one at 28 Calories a slice and spread with light Dairylea you can have 3 for under 100 calories, which is a regular lunch for me with soup. Crackerbread and finncrisp are also among my low cal favourites while a pack of 6 melba toasts which all the main UK supermarkets sell is around 70 or 80 calories.
  • jwoolman5
    jwoolman5 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    It might be worth making your own bread or rolls. I'm no cook, but I learned how to make bread while preparing to go freelance - I figured that if I was going to go back to peanut butter sandwiches for lunch to save money, I would at least have good bread! Nowadays you can even get bread making machines so it's even easier. Then you could adjust calories and other ingredients at will. Slices and rolls freeze well also or just make small batches.

Flatbread recipes are very easy also. Even I can do it. And I am really very kitchen-challenged.