Gaining on IMF!!

Options
bishopjulia
bishopjulia Posts: 205 Member
edited December 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
doing IMF and was losing... now I’m gaining!! Why am I doing wrong? Still consumed around 1200 cal! Getting very frustrated. I’m eating One meal a day ... how the heck am I gaining! This is discouraging... it really is. When you actually put the effort in and expect to see results and instead your pushed back 3 steps 😤😭

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    Options
    Weight loss isn't linear, so if you're talking short term gain then should read the following:

https://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations/

emt1eo6spvsy.jpg
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    When you say “around 1200 calories,” how are you measuring your calorie intake? Are you using a food scale to weigh ALL of your food, and how many calories do you actually eat?

Weight loss is 100% about consistently being in a calorie deficit. It doesn’t have anything to do with how often you eat. Eating one meal a day helps some people stay in a deficit, but it is not a guarantee that you will be in a deficit without tracking carefully.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    There are mistakes that people commonly make that cause them to not lose weight that we might be able to spot if you change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • Justin_7272
    Justin_7272 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Calories are calories, regardless of how many meals you have or when you eat, so the fact you're IMF/OMAD is irrelevant. If you have to "put in effort" to IMF/OMAD and it's not working for you it sounds like you need a different approach.

Other than that, see above posts.
  • bishopjulia
    edited December 2019
    Options
    iyj085tdst5m.png

Eating one meal a day. And yes counting the calories. Yesterday all my food was 843 ... including my chicken breast, asparagus and rye slice of bread I had for supper. So yes it’s frustrating when stay under or at 1200 and get on that scale expecting a drop and see a gain.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing your food
  • ellie117
    ellie117 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I stick to ~1200 calories (plus eating back some exercise calories) and have been weighing daily since September. To reiterate the graph used above, here is my actual MFP chart of weight loss using 1200, and eating most/all of my calories between 12pm-8pm:

7u9d251275t2.png

It's not a straight line down. You will go up some days/weeks. But you will consistently lose over time as long as you maintain a deficit.
  • bishopjulia
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    iyj085tdst5m.png

Eating one meal a day. And yes counting the calories. Yesterday all my food was 843 ... including my chicken breast, asparagus and rye slice of bread I had for supper. So yes it’s frustrating when stay under or at 1200 and get on that scale expecting a drop and see a gain.

Honestly, that graph looks 100% normal. The time horizon is too short to see what your results are. My weight loss graph looked pretty much like the example someone posted earlier in the thread, all jaggedy ups and downs, with an overall downward long-term slope.

Because of water weight fluctuations, and variations in weight of food in transit in our digestive system (on route to elimination), the scale won't drop every day, and sometimes rises.

Please don't undereat, chasing daily losses. That's a recipe for failure. Stick very close to your calorie goal, and trust the process. Check your average results over 4-6 weeks of doing that. Compare the same point in two different menstrual cycles.

Please try not to stress about it. It'll be fine. The time horizon is just too short to see it. Really! :flowerforyou:

That is 8 months ... weight loss started after my broken leg was healed. I was so close to the 20 lbs mark lol then my body is like “Nope! You going up” lol