!!!Gallon of Water a Day for Two Weeks, GAINED weight !!!

Options
Hi MFP,

Two weeks ago I started the 30 day gallon of water a day challenge in an effort to drop weight and get a boost in energy. I have done a lot of cardio (13 times) over
the past two weeks. My workouts have consisted of 90 min walks in the neighborhood or 35 min elliptical machine training in the gym. I have done a few weight machines over this time as well but not as much as the cardio. As far as my water intake is concerned, I normally drank 50 to 80 oz a day before the challenge. After drinking a gallon a day, I’ve noticed immediate improvements to my energy and quality of sleep. My motivation to go to the gym, even on my rest days, have been a real boon to my confidence level. Last Thursday morning (Thanksgiving Morning before any food or drink) I actually lost 1.5 lbs from the prior week. I attributed that to the uptick in water consumption and fitness activity. I made it a point during the Thanksgiving period to workout often as to offset some of the incoming calories. The gallon of water a day commitment has contributed to a decreased consumption of food and although I might of had some “cheat” snacks during that time, I’ve been active and fasting for 16 hours a day (IF) for three days a week.

I felt discouraged this morning when I stepped on the scale and gained 6 lbs when I’ve been feeling and witnessing positive cognitive effects. Physically I feel heavier and I feel like my body still has a ton of water to dispel from my body but just hasn’t yet. Has any one of you experienced this and what have you done to get your body back to losing weight with the gallon of water a day routine? I am a male, 5’10” 246 lbs as of last week’s weigh in and I have tried on clothes and they don’t feel tighter so I know my body is holding on to serious water weight. I just feel bloated with water and my body is reluctant in releasing it.

Any guidance, advice, or encouragement right now would be much appreciated.

Replies

• domineer4life
    domineer4life Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    To lose weight, you need to eat less calories than your body burns. Are you weighing and measuring and logging everything you eat and drink, accurately? Are you eating at a calorie deficit?
    Exercise is great for overall health, but won’t affect weight loss unless it puts you in a calorie deficit.

Why so much water?

Given my body weight, drinking a gallon a day is on par with what many health articles online have said is ideal. I do not count calories like I used to but I generalize portion sizes fairly well from the years I consistently did it. I find that counting calories to the T is not fun for me. I fast a few days out of the week and I move my body a lot. I have decreased the amount of food I consume so I should be seeing decreases in weight.
  • domineer4life
    Options
    The only way to lose fat is to be in a calorie deficit. I guess there are many ways to get into a calorie deficit (calorie counting is the most direct way to know if you are in one), but you have to have one to lose fat.

Drinking water may help fill you up with 0 calories, but you can still eat more calories than you are burning. Working out can help burn a little extra calories than you may have without working out (I burn 95 calories in a half hour of heavy weight lifting), but you can easily eat more calories than you are burning (a pack of 2 Reese's cups is 210 calories).

You need a calorie deficit (energy deficit) to lose fat (excess stored energy). It is as simple as that. Are you tracking food?

I track calories but not for every meal. I am not a big fan of it because although it works (I’ve done it in the past), it is not a sustainable habit for me. I’ve been going the route of eating smaller portions of food, fasting, upping water consumption, working out, and getting more sleep. I did Keto earlier this year and cut 20 lbs (I wasn’t counting calories or working out and I fasted 5 days a week).

• domineer4life
    Options

[/quote]
    Personally for me doing keto and fasting 5 out of 7 days a week sounds really extreme and unsustainable to me. I honestly don't know how you did that.[/quote]

Will power. I have strong will power and it actually became easier to do over time. I felt like I was plateauing on it so I switched back to the base of 3 days a week. I had to stop Keto because it wasn’t good for my cholesterol levels.

• domineer4life
    Options
    steveko89 wrote: »
    Personally for me doing keto and fasting 5 out of 7 days a week sounds really extreme and unsustainable to me. I honestly don't know how you did that.

Will power. I have strong will power and it actually became easier to do over time. I felt like I was plateauing on it so I switched back to the base of 3 days a week. I had to stop Keto because it wasn’t good for my cholesterol levels.

[/quote]

So you can will yourself to fast and do keto but logging your food is a bridge too far? [/quote]

For me, fasting is easier than counting calories. Keto was great because I could eat foods that I found delicious and satiating. Also I felt fuller for longer periods of time. Logging your food is like doing homework. Although it is great for keeping track of what you put into your body, it is not always easy to do when you are out and about or when you just want to eat without the task of logging and recording. Great advice but that solution is not the only one. I wouldn’t say logging is a bridge too far it’s just one of many bridges.