Omelettes

Options
13»

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    COGypsy wrote: »
    I always order Greek omelettes if I have an omelette. They have gyro meat, feta cheese, kalamata olives and tomatoes with tzatziki (sp?) sauce on top. I don't have any idea if it's possible to have gyro meat at home or it's just an "eat out" kind of dish, but it's my favorite!

I've made gyro meat at home. It was pretty intensive. I had to beat my blend of lamb and ground beef to get it to the right texture, then add all the seasoning, onions, garlic etc. Then pressed it into loaf pans, making sure to mash it all down to avoid air pockets and make the dense, smooth grained texture. Baked my two loaf pans in a water bath until done, then when pulled out of the stove, pressed them by placing a loaf pan on top of each and adding about 10lbs of weight and let them sit like that for 20 minutes or so. Poured off the fat and de-panned and then let them rest to near room temperature and then got to slicing.

It was super delicious, my kids loved it too, but lamb is expensive and it basically took hours, so I haven't done it again. I did eat gyro salad alot!

The texture of this isn't like authentic gyros but the flavor is good:

Mix all in food processor:
    * 1/2 C chopped onion
    * 2 t minced garlic
    * 3/4 t salt
    * 1 t Italian seasoning
    * 1/4 t black pepper
    * 1 pound raw ground lamb

Refrigerate for 1-2 hours

Bake like a meatloaf 60 minutes at 325 degrees

My uncle raises sheep and sent my mom a bunch of lamb. If she gives me more than one pound, I will make that. But I'm reserving the pound I did get for Cumin Lamb Shepherd's Pie from "Double Awesome Chinese Food" - it's a pretty traditional shepherd's pie only with Chinese spices.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I always order Greek omelettes if I have an omelette. They have gyro meat, feta cheese, kalamata olives and tomatoes with tzatziki (sp?) sauce on top. I don't have any idea if it's possible to have gyro meat at home or it's just an "eat out" kind of dish, but it's my favorite!

I've made gyro meat at home. It was pretty intensive. I had to beat my blend of lamb and ground beef to get it to the right texture, then add all the seasoning, onions, garlic etc. Then pressed it into loaf pans, making sure to mash it all down to avoid air pockets and make the dense, smooth grained texture. Baked my two loaf pans in a water bath until done, then when pulled out of the stove, pressed them by placing a loaf pan on top of each and adding about 10lbs of weight and let them sit like that for 20 minutes or so. Poured off the fat and de-panned and then let them rest to near room temperature and then got to slicing.

It was super delicious, my kids loved it too, but lamb is expensive and it basically took hours, so I haven't done it again. I did eat gyro salad alot!

* 1/2 C chopped onion
    * 2 t minced garlic
    * 3/4 t salt
    * 1 t Italian seasoning
    * 1/4 t black pepper

My uncle raises sheep and sent my mom a bunch of lamb. If she gives me more than one pound, I will make that. But I'm reserving the pound I did get for Cumin Lamb Shepherd's Pie from "Double Awesome Chinese Food" - it's a pretty traditional shepherd's pie only with Chinese spices.

The texture on mine was pretty close and the flavor was fantastic.

I grew up eating what my mom called shepherd's pie, but it was made with ground beef. I believe that would actually be cottage pie, lol
  • jamespatten3576
    jamespatten3576 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    I love eggs but not omlettes.

Putting all of that stuff into an omelette, especially cheese and the butter often used to cook them, just adds cals and can turn an turn an omelette into a calorie bomb.

Feel the same way about coffee, which I drink black w/o sugar, cream and other stuff that just adds cals.

So just scrambled eggs (no milk added) cooked w/1 tsp of olive oil in a non-stick skillet and black coffee for me, thank-you.

All my omelettes end up as scrambled eggs anyway
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    ^^ they shouldn't - unless you keep vigorously stirring the egg mixture in the frypan, rather than letting it set.

When it is almost set I put the fillings on top then cook a bit more then fold in half so fillings are in the middle of egg either side.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options

* 1/2 C chopped onion
    * 2 t minced garlic
    * 3/4 t salt
    * 1 t Italian seasoning
    * 1/4 t black pepper

I grew up eating what my mom called shepherd's pie, but it was made with ground beef. I believe that would actually be cottage pie, lol

My understanding is that lamb meat is shepherds pie - since shepherds had lambs.

Beef is cottage pie.

I make it sometimes, usually beef mince, topped with mashed potato and grated cheese.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options

* 1/2 C chopped onion
    * 2 t minced garlic
    * 3/4 t salt
    * 1 t Italian seasoning
    * 1/4 t black pepper

My understanding is that lamb meat is shepherds pie - since shepherds had lambs.

Beef is cottage pie.

I make it sometimes, usually beef mince, topped with mashed potato and grated cheese.

Ground beef (beef mince), mashed potatoes, shredded cheese. That's exactly how my mom made it. Loved that stuff as a kid. My husband however, was not big at all on it early in our marriage and I probably haven't made it in 15 years.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    I think omelettes are too much work (I'm probably just stupid lol) but I like quiche and frittatas. Or just scrambling it all up together in a pan which is what I did last night. I used bacon, onion, sweet peppers, cheddar cheese and milk. Spinach would also be good. potatoes. Beans.Tomato and avocado added at the end so they don't cook. Steak is the best to add in, but I never do because it's expensive.

Last nights was around 500 calories (3 eggs) which is fine for me... I also ate some toast with it.