Hungry in the first part of menstrual cycle

Options
So obviously it's a question for those who menstruate. So PMS hunger/cravings are very obviously very common but is there anyone who tends to get ravenous in the FIRST part of your cycle? Like, after your period and up to the ovulation? Or am I the only one?

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,966 Member
    Options
    Not me - my hunger increases for a few days before my period starts and for a few days around ovulation.
  • ladyzherra
    ladyzherra Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I think that our menses vary, and listening to your body's needs is really important. If you feel hungry consistently up to ovulation, then that signals, perhaps, that you need some particular nutrient or vitamin during that time.

I tend to get most hungry the week leading up to my flow. Once I bleed, then my needs usually become less complex.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I think everyone is going to be a bit different on the timing for this. The unfortunate thing that most of us experience(d) is cyclical hangriness.

I hit menopause in the past couple of years and supposedly it is harder to lose weight but I'm finding the absence of or attenuation of hormonal cycles makes it easier to be consistent, so I'm finding it a bit easier to stay on plan.
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    Options
    Everything happens to me a couple days (mood swings, cravings) before my period.
    First two days or so On my period I don’t eat much because I’m extremely dizzy and bloated.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    No longer menstruating (surgical menopause) but I was a total carb monster in the couple of days before my period, then couldn’t eat at all for the first 3 days due to period pain and the intestinal disturbance that went with the cramps for me. Then carb cravings again towards the end of my 10 day periods.

I guess we’re all different!
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,107 Member
    Options
    Just before period and just before ovulation I get an appetite surge so I try to plan ahead and eat at maintenance for those days.
  • Toria718
    Toria718 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Same here, cycle varies between 32 and 45 days. Can tell where I am based on my energy level, how much I want to gorge, and general hangriness. I also use a Fitbit to keep an eye on my resting heart rate as it always raises during pms and weighing every day using a trending app helps when I feel down about the water retention weight as without fail I forget about that part of it. With 3 months of data I am starting to see a cycle and a 5-6 increase on the scale when I am at my most hangry.