Calories in average kebab?

I really, really want a kebab, but don't want to go over my calories. The MFP kebab entries all seem to be very low, so I checked Google and apparently there's 4000(!) calories in a kebab. What is a true average?

Replies

• MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    It depends on what ingredients you are using. Add all the ingredients and you will have better luck. It's certainly not 4000 calories though.esting a pound of pure butter isn't even 4000 calories. So your dish, regardless of what you put in it, won't be close to that high.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Probably depends hugely on where you are in the world because I suspect the definition of a ‘kebab’ varies quite a lot! Which may explain the discrepancies you’re seeing in the database.

Could be a few cubes of meat and/or veg grilled on a skewer all the way up to the greasy pile of doner lamb in a loaded pitta bread with all manner of oil based dressings and sauces. Not to mention the fries that generally accompany such a monstrosity! 😉

From what I can see the type of thing people get here in the UK after a few beers will set you back around 2,000 cals without the chips! YMMV!
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    edited December 2019
    That must be one huge Kebab! I have these stainless steel Kebab skewers for my grill that are 24 inches long and im lucky if i could put 500 calories worth of steak and vegetables on it. Even less calories if its chicken.

What are you putting on it, Seal blubber?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I'd love to see this 4000 cal kebab :)
  • helen_goldthorpe
    helen_goldthorpe Posts: 340 Member
    I assume that the calorie count includes the bread/sauces etc (although a quick Google suggests that the sort of kebab I'm thinking of is more like 2000 than 4000).
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    I'm assuming that the OP means something like a doner kebab, but I'd be curious if it was some other type that somehow contains 4k calories. 2,000 does seem more like it (basically I'm just repeating helen_goldthorpe).
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    No such as an average kebab, and many kinds even in terms of the whole dish so you're going to have to be more specific. Is it a small pita with doner meat, or a monster with meat and fries and sauce? Is it a skewer of meat and veg? Which meat, which veg?