lifting weights while pregnant

Options
are there any rules correlating to fitness and pregnancy
did you lift weights? did you do cardio?

if you are a vegetarian how did you get enough protein.

before you go congratulating me, i am not pregnant, these are just things i have always wondered.

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    The first thing I always recommend is talking to your doctor.

For me personally I was able to lift weights but lowered the intensity quite a bit, also had to substitute certain lifts and listen to my body as the pregnancy progressed. Cardio I did a lot of walking and stairclimber machine, yoga, low impact stuff. It definitely helped me remain fit during my pregnancy and also helped with my labour and recovery.

I am not vegetarian but things like eggs, yogurt, cottage cheese, tofu can help.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    I've never been pregnant, but know someone who induced early contractions (!) lifting hard in late-term pregnancy (not saying that's common). ;)

What kind of vegetarian are you (strict, lacto, ovo-lacto, . . . )? How much protein do you get, at what size? I figure 100g minimum (usually exceeded a bit) is OK for me at 5'5", 130s, ovo-lacto, even when lifting. I have no trouble these days getting that from food, but protein powder is an option. I use a good bit of (nonfat) dairy, personally, but think I could do it fully plant-based, without protein supplements, if I put my mind to it.

I don't like commercial fake meats, so virtually never eat them, don't eat many eggs, mostly cook from scratch at home. In addition to the "one big protein per meal" strategy common among omnivores, I try to get at least a little protein from most foods I eat (breads with more protein, grain subs like quinoa, veggies that have a little protein, chickpea or edamame pasta, etc.). Those extra little bits add up through the day.

Common "big protein" choices are tofu (especially smoked tofu, and there are tofu noodles), tempeh, legumes (especially black beans & lentils), edamame pasta; and on the dairy front, nonfat plain Greek yogurt, skim milk (lots, hot, in my coffee ;) ), lowfat cottage cheese.

I also eat some nuts daily (walnuts, peanut butter) to get a small amount of protein (not to mention yumminess) with my healthy fats. Ditto for seeds, especially hemp & flax (milled). I eat some full-fat cheese, with a slight bias toward mild-flavored goat cheeses for tastiness and a tiny calorie efficiency advantage in some cases.

I don't know if any of that helps. :)
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    There's quite a bit of info on the Girls Gone Strong website if you're interested in having a look.
  • katermari
    katermari Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I've never been pregnant, but know someone who induced early contractions (!) lifting hard in late-term pregnancy (not saying that's common). ;)

What kind of vegetarian are you (strict, lacto, ovo-lacto, . . . )? How much protein do you get, at what size? I figure 100g minimum (usually exceeded a bit) is OK for me at 5'5", 130s, ovo-lacto, even when lifting. I have no trouble these days getting that from food, but protein powder is an option. I use a good bit of (nonfat) dairy, personally, but think I could do it fully plant-based, without protein supplements, if I put my mind to it.

I don't like commercial fake meats, so virtually never eat them, don't eat many eggs, mostly cook from scratch at home. In addition to the "one big protein per meal" strategy common among omnivores, I try to get at least a little protein from most foods I eat (breads with more protein, grain subs like quinoa, veggies that have a little protein, chickpea or edamame pasta, etc.). Those extra little bits add up through the day.

Common "big protein" choices are tofu (especially smoked tofu, and there are tofu noodles), tempeh, legumes (especially black beans & lentils), edamame pasta; and on the dairy front, nonfat plain Greek yogurt, skim milk (lots, hot, in my coffee ;) ), lowfat cottage cheese.

I also eat some nuts daily (walnuts, peanut butter) to get a small amount of protein (not to mention yumminess) with my healthy fats. Ditto for seeds, especially hemp & flax (milled). I eat some full-fat cheese, with a slight bias toward mild-flavored goat cheeses for tastiness and a tiny calorie efficiency advantage in some cases.

helps huge! i have never tried tofu yet (two years pescatarian) i will eat fish.
    i am such a bad eater, i dont eat enough.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Typically you can do any exercise that you were doing before you got pregnant, with modifications of course.

I lifted all throughout my pregnancy and it helped a lot with recovery and stuff.

I'm not vegetarian so I cannot comment on that.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    katermari wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

helps huge! i have never tried tofu yet (two years pescatarian) i will eat fish.
    i am such a bad eater, i dont eat enough.

Eating enough is also useful for strength training progress! :)

Tofu is something that requires a bit of experimentation, for many. (Be brave! ;) ). It's an excellent protein source (complete protein, in essential amino acid terms, and pretty calorie efficient among veg sources). But it's very neutral in flavor, and tends to absorb/neutralize other flavors, to a certain extent. That makes using it both flexible, and challenging. Also, some people find the texture off-putting.

Texture is one reason I prefer smoked tofu (it's very firm), plus it has the smoky flavor, which I like, already infused. It's good to know that you can get tofu blocks in different firmnesses, from "silken" at the soft end, to "extra firm" at the dense end. You can also get pre-baked tofu blocks that are firmer than extra firm (some are also marinated/seasoned, but check the calorie cost on the label). The denser forms of tofu are good for slicing or dicing and putting into casseroles, soups, or stir fry, etc. Most people like to drain the firm tofu, sometimes with a weight on top (like a water-filled jar or heavy dish on a plate), to make it even firmer. Even so, it will break up somewhat if stirred vigorously in soup or whatever.

In general, people tend to marinate the firm types, or serve in a flavorful sauce, and may use some kind of flour or crumbs to make a crust on it before baking or frying it. I mostly just cube it or slice it and use it plain, in things (stews, soups, casseroles, etc.). Often, I will cube or slice it and put in under the broiler for a few minutes (watch carefully, as it goes from golden to carbon quite quickly!), stirring or flipping midway. This browns it lightly, makes it a bit crispy, and also dries it out. With that dryness, it absorbs flavors (of sauce, broth, condiments) better IMO.

Some of the middling-soft kinds, I understand, can be used as a sort of scrambled-egg substitute, with tasty add-ins, but I've never done this (maybe because I eat eggs).

The very soft tofus, such as silken, can be good to blend into things like creamy soups or sauces. A surprising amount of tofu (even regular or soft, not just silken) can be blended with avocados to make a more protein-rich and still avocado-tasting guacamole, for example.

You don't say whether you've tried tempeh. Some people don't like the look of it (it's cultured soybeans), but the base flavor is neutral to slightly hearty. You can get flavored/seasoned types, but again, it's good to check how caloric those are (barbecue types are common and can be quite sugared or oiled). I prefer to buy plain, and season myself. I like it sliced and crisped a bit (cast iron frying pan with minimal oil or broiler), then used in sandwiches with tasty condiments, or crumbled into soups and such.

If you want to increase protein (vegetarian forms or otherwise), you might find this thread helpful:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

It links to a spreadsheet that lists many, many foods in order by protein efficiency, most protein for fewest calories. Things near the top are mostly meaty/fishy, but there are plant sources if you scroll further down.
  • bstanford510
    bstanford510 Posts: 115 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Look up moveyourbump on Instagram.

I was doing burpees at 32 weeks pregnant. I worked out 5 days a week until 39 weeks. I had a 30 MINUTE labor (3rd baby, previous labors were not like that at all)

You can continue doing what you’re doing. I still did cardio and lifted weights 5 days a week, including 3 days of HIIT. But moveyourbump has lots of resources.

Editing to add I also went to 40 weeks 4 days, so definitely didn’t have an issue with it causing preterm labor.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Vegetarians who are pregnant get their protein in almost exactly the same way as vegetarians who aren't. The only difference is ensuring adequate nutrition for both the pregnant person and developing fetus, but the exact protein-rich meatless foods one can eat are nearly the same. The only exception I can think of is that certain dairy products, such as unpasteurized milk and certain soft cheeses, are not recommended during pregnancy. Changes to one's allowed high-protein foods are largely a meat thing (i.e., not eating deli meat or high-mercury fish while pregnant) unless there is a specific medical condition involved.

More concerning is your comment that you don't eat enough. If you're losing weight that you don't intend to lose, or losing at a rate that's not reasonable for your stats, the I would address the undereating problem whether or not you are actually thinking about getting pregnant.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Ran a marathon last month at 14 weeks and have continued powerlifting. Will be running a half marathon at seven months. Two of my obs are long distance runners and I've had their blessing.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

before you go congratulating me, i am not pregnant, these are just things i have always wondered.

First and foremost, a pregnant woman should consult with her Dr. in regards to exercise.

In most cases, if it is something that was done before becoming pregnant, it's a non issue to continue. My wife lifted weights while pregnant with our second kiddo, but she had already been lifting for a couple of years before hand. She's also always been an avid runner and continued to do that through much of her pregnancy. She had to make some modifications to things and as I recall she was mostly just walking in her last month or maybe two...but she lifted and ran for most of her term.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Generally if it's a normal healthy pregnancy, up to about the 3rd trimester and really up until month 8-9 a woman can mostly continue her exercise routine. Human women evolved so that they were able to work, run, and otherwise be active while pregnant.

It is not a good time to dramatically increase any routine, such as training for a first marathon.

However, there are some restrictions. No trampolines, no contact sports, mountain biking, downhill skiing, caution with equestrian sports, and activities such as bungee jumping or other "high altitude sports" such as high rock climbing.

A pregnant woman also has to work with a competent instructor for yoga or Pilates, as some poses and exercises are not safe or appropriate, and some should be encouraged.

As others have stated, consult a doctor.
  • noel2fit
    noel2fit Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I'm pregnant, mostly vegetarian (seafood once weekly), and crossfit. My food journal is open. I get my protein from beans, legumes, nuts, seeds, whole grains, eggs, dairy, and occasionally fish. It's not hard to get 70-100g of protein if you're looking at macros and not just stuffing in carbs which is what trips up most women during pregnancy.

The current evidence-based advice is that healthy pregnant women can continue to do exercises that their bodies are conditioned for when they become pregnant. Of course always ask your midwife or doctor, but the previous advice that women can't lift more than 20lbs or run is extremely conservative and considered out of date for normal, healthy pregnancies.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    As others have said, I was advised by my doctor that exercise is good while pregnant and I could continue to do things I was doing before or even try comparable exercises, but not to increase intensity while pregnant. The three big concerns were 1) to monitor and moderate intensity, 2) don't hold breath for long periods, and 3) be aware that pregnancy causes the ab muscles to separate and subsequently provide less support for the core than usual leading to higher risk of back injury if not conscientious.

As it turned out I did very little exercise while pregnant because the way my body responded to exercise while I was pregnant was unpleasant.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options

Not sure about being vegetarian.

But the general rule for working out is if you did it before you were pregnant it's safe to keep doing it.

I skated until I was 6 months pregnant. I was working with an older man and at that point I just became too front heavy and I felt it was becoming dangerous. It drove my neighbours crazy that I'd be out shovelling snow while I was pregnant. It's good to keep active.

Btw I had a c section and was cleared to skate after 6 weeks and exactly 6 weeks and 1 day (because hubs screwed up the schedule and was out on the 6 week mark) I went skating
  • ThatJuJitsuWoman
    ThatJuJitsuWoman Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I was vegetarian throughout all my pregnancies and never had an issue with protein or other nutrients. I was very hungry and ate lots of everything, attempting to keep my choices as healthy as possible.

During my first pregnancy I used a workout DVD designed for pregnant women (it’s by Erin O’Brien if anyone is interested). I exercised fairly hard up to 7 months, then got too big and uncomfortable to do more than walking.

Between my two successful pregnancies I had 2 miscarriages, which made me much more careful with the last one. I had twins, so the pregnancy was higher risk anyway, but I didn’t feel at all comfortable with continuing my usual hard workouts. I walked several miles every day though.
  • mkmaske23
    mkmaske23 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi! I do CrossFit and am currently 18.5 weeks pregnant. All of my doctors let me continue and encourage me to do so. I scale it back and don't go as hard as I used to, especially when it comes to weights over my head. I also listen to my body and do what I am comfortable with.