Getting rid of skinny fat syndrome

I’m a 5’8 148 pound distance runner, and I’ve recently started weight training and eating more protein to overcome being “skinny fat”. Anyone else have any issues with this? Even though I peaked at 68 miles a week for marathon training, my body still has a high level of body fat compared to muscle. Any advice would be appreciated!

Replies

• traumanurse870
    traumanurse870 Posts: 18 Member
    Aim for 1-1.3g protein per lb of body weight per day. Do compound weight lifting exercises like squats, deadlift, bench press, overhead press. Operate in a 500 calorie surplus to gain muscle weight, then operate in a 500 calorie deficit to trim off a little fat. If you track your macros you've got an advantage on 90% of the people at the gym, you just have to modify your approach a little. You can put on some muscle and still be an endurance athlete.

How long should bulking and cutting periods be?
  • giancarlov1191
    giancarlov1191 Posts: 493 Member
    I initially lost about 40lbs with low calories and long distance running. I was the epitome of skinny fat because I did not pay attention to building or retaining muscle. You'll likely have to do a bulk now, followed by a cut that prioritizes muscle retention.
  • jhawkins16
    jhawkins16 Posts: 29 Member
    I’ll keep you guys updated on the next 4 weeks. I’ve heard people have success with IF and a low carbohydrate/high protein diet. Apparently the science is behind on IF as I’ve seen it make me look more defined without changing my caloric intake. I lifted 3 times this week so considering it’s my first week back into it that’s not bad. Looks like only 40 miles this week in terms of mileage. I’m following Matt Fitzgerald’s 80/20 level 3 heart rate 5k plan currently.
  • giancarlov1191
    giancarlov1191 Posts: 493 Member
    ^ Having a defined objective (and patience) is so important. If you are inexperienced with weight lifting, you can benefit greatly from a dedicated bulking phase. I would cut the cardio down make lifting the primary objective.
  • jhawkins16
    I’ll try to lift on days I have lower mileage. Today just called for 35 minutes in zone 2 so I did a mini back and bicep workout afterwards since my muscles can not handle a lot of sets yet.
  • jhawkins16
    It’s just frustrating since I’m at a normal weight and I burn 500 plus calories per day, yet I look like I do not train at all and just look slender.
  • jhawkins16
    And I can run a 5:30 mile (not the best I know but I didn’t run track in high school and started from nothing so it’s good for me, yet some dude that eats junk food and lifts everyday is shredded but can’t run a sub 25 minute 5k. It’s demotivating.
  • jhawkins16
    Anyway, I probably need to give some background. I think this all started when I nu4avwl0m2ts.png
    pj6dtb2shdtk.png
    kcvqs0s7hi08.png
    k16yji43kcjr.png
    lost 60 pounds within a 2 month time span a couple years age (I weighed 220 pounds) by cutting my intake down to 1,200 cal a day. Ever since then I think the constant going in and out of being in a deficit can just completely destroyed my body composition. Got really lean at 10.6% body fat according to in-body and 142 pounds in July of this year, and marathon training has caused me to get up to 150 pounds on average in the mornings due to train gain. I’ve definitely developed a better attitude towards food as I used to treat it as a reward. I now view it as fuel for running and IF has helped since I just have periods where I don’t have to worry about eating for the majority of the day. I’ve just never been shredded before and I’d like to feel comfortable taking my shift off at the beach again or when going on long runs.

Here’s my training log the last week.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    The average person can only metabolize about 1% body fat in any given week.

60 lbs in 2 months for someone 220 lbs...that's a lot of not-fat that was burned...40+ lbs of muscle or other lean mass.

For what it's worth, I have a great deal of difficulty building muscle even when I have big strength gains in lifting. I found Leangains to be the best for me in terms of changing body composition...lost 5% body fat in 12 weeks...it's calorie and carb cycling based on lifting days...so you lift 3 days a week and you eat more on those 3 days...then you eat less on the other 4 days...I like this calculator here if you want to check it out...I found it to be easy and sustainable as a method for me to actually grow muscle size, but to each his own.

https://x-gains.com/MacroCalculator
  • jhawkins16
    You make a good point. I’m an amateur distance runner (5k 19:38, mile 5:30, half marathon 1:31.08, marathon 4:10 (hit the wall at mile 18 running at 3:30 pace) so I burn around 100 miles or more per mile. My Vo2 max is 62 ml/kg and I’m 23 so that is considered excellent for my age. But I just get annoyed because my body doesn’t look like I’m as fit as I am. I think some of it is unrealistic expectations on my part. I normally average around 2,000 to 2,500 calories per day. Some days I run 6-7 miles (650-750 calories burned) others lower (400 calories burned for a short 4 mile run). Most of my miles are in zone 2 for heart rate and power based on the 80/20 principle of distance running. I’ve been giving a lot of thought to the MAF way of running (aerobic training only fit extended periods for an emphasis on fat burning along with a ketogenic WOE to become a fat adapted runner).