Combining "intuitive eating" with MFP?

Options
13»

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    In my symphony of a week there are probably some notes of intuitive eating. I will often eat different amounts. Seasonally I eat different percentages of macros. Both of these happen organically. However, it is all still logged and therefore managed because I have no interest in putting too much trust in "listening to my body" because that is how I got fat.

IMO with the amount of weight I gained the IE ship has sailed and need not ever return to this port. Obesity is caused in part by modern conveniences for which intuition may not always account. I might as well use a modernized solution to help me navigate my weight management.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    In my symphony of a week there are probably some notes of intuitive eating. I will often eat different amounts. Seasonally I eat different percentages of macros. Both of these happen organically. However, it is all still logged and therefore managed because I have no interest in putting too much trust in "listening to my body" because that is how I got fat.

IMO with the amount of weight I gained the IE ship has sailed and need not ever return to this port. Obesity is caused in part by modern conveniences for which intuition may not always account. I might as well use a modernized solution to help me navigate my weight management.
    I think this is a big part of the problem. Like, how can our intuition account for "Panera Bread Kitchen Sink Cookie" which has 800 calories per cookie, or Sonic's Peanut Butter & Cookie Dough Dream Master Blast, which has 2,300 calories? Sure, we may be able to say, "This is going to have a lot of calories," but if we don't sit down and look it up, are we really going to understand what it means? Our hunger triggers don't sit down and say, "I had a Sonic's Peanut Butter & Cookie Dough Dream Master Blast, that's it for the day!" or "One Panera Bread Kitchen Sink Cookie at lunch and one at dinner takes up most of my daily calories!" because our bodies aren't formulated that way. The way a lot of our food is made circumvents what our bodies feel.

I know it's not true for everyone, but I personally would probably feel those calories and feel pretty sick after (I probably wouldn't get through it in one go it would take me all day). I always try to "trick" my body when I'm gaining with calorie dense foods and high calorie smoothies (900-1000cals or so) and they are so tough to get down then I'm not hungry for the rest of the day. Reducing volume and fibre helps but I am still full and uncomfortable so it's something I accept during that time.
  • goatg
    goatg Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    Absolutely love this post.
    I’ve found it to be a great educational tool, especially for macros. I tend to get obsessive and can be guilt prone when I go into the red so I use it as a log infrequently —ideally 1-2 days/wk— to find that balance between informed and sanity.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Intuitive eating would work fine for me if I didn't intuitively want more cookies even after I was full!

My Intuitive Cooking thinks I need to make Chai Sugar Cookies...

My recipe is in a cookbook, but I think this is it: https://slate.com/human-interest/2010/04/cook-s-illustrated-chai-spice-sugar-cookies.html

IMG_4064.jpg

Oh, and I got some rye flour for a cookie recipe which seemed kind of pointless so next time I will just use regular flour, and now my Intuitive Cooking says I need to make rye bread or rye rolls:

https://www.177milkstreet.com/recipes/pumpkin-seed-rolls

Pumpkin-Seed-Rolls.jpg
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,637 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Intuitive eating would work fine for me if I didn't intuitively want more cookies even after I was full!

Pumpkin-Seed-Rolls.jpg

I'm not sure these pictures are helping me!

My balanced nutrition is way down due to trying to (mostly in vain) balance out the intuitive cookies with mindful soup and 0% yogurt!

At least the scale is inching up as opposed to ballooning, which all da intuitive cookies AND foodz would surely do!!!

(Yes, I log the cookies, even at maintenance, though not before I eat them as I would if I were really trying to mindfully avoid eating them)
  • kshama2001
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Pumpkin-Seed-Rolls.jpg

I'm not sure these pictures are helping me!

My balanced nutrition is way down due to trying to (mostly in vain) balance out the intuitive cookies with mindful soup and 0% yogurt!

At least the scale is inching up as opposed to ballooning, which all da intuitive cookies AND foodz would surely do!!!

(Yes, I log the cookies, even at maintenance, though not before I eat them as I would if I were really trying to mindfully avoid eating them)

The rolls were so good! (Saving the cookie baking for another day.)

I love cooking with yeast but used to be completely unable to moderate, so don't do much of it. Ate two rolls, saved two, and froze the rest.

I thought they would be done way before dinner but there were three rises and other sitting time, so they were actually done cooling just 15 minutes before dinner.

Next time I'm not going to toast the 1/2 cup of seeds that goes on the top as that came out a little over done. And I could only get 1/4 C to stick, so will reduce to that next time.
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I tried intuitive eating yesterday where I ate according to fullness and wrote my food down in my notes. Turns out I was severely undereating! I’d only hit 1200 calories and I had exercised heavy that day! Unbelievable. I had to make myself a pizza so I could hit 1900.
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    I don't understand why calorie counting and intuitive eating have to be mutually exclusive. You can still eat when you're hungry and stop when you're satisfied but still log calories for a better idea on how that's working out or if you pay attention to macros.

(It wouldn't work out for me. My appetite will always be bigger than my stomach. :) )

This...I feel that when you start out logging what you eat makes you realize where you can improve. Logging how you feel after you certain food can be VERY valuable. For example, when I eat only pancakes for breakfast, I'm starving in an hour and want a nap. If I eat eggs and bacon I last until lunch easily without even thinking about food and not needing a nap.

I know after years of research how certain foods will affect me and if it's worth eating them. Yes, lots of you will disagree with this, but some food just makes me feel like crap....LOL

Yet, if I tried to eat intuitively I'd still gain weight because my body wants more food that it needs...

• kshama2001
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    I don't understand why calorie counting and intuitive eating have to be mutually exclusive. You can still eat when you're hungry and stop when you're satisfied but still log calories for a better idea on how that's working out or if you pay attention to macros.

(It wouldn't work out for me. My appetite will always be bigger than my stomach. :) )

This...I feel that when you start out logging what you eat makes you realize where you can improve. Logging how you feel after you certain food can be VERY valuable. For example, when I eat only pancakes for breakfast, I'm starving in an hour and want a nap. If I eat eggs and bacon I last until lunch easily without even thinking about food and not needing a nap.

I know after years of research how certain foods will affect me and if it's worth eating them. Yes, lots of you will disagree with this, but some food just makes me feel like crap....LOL

Yet, if I tried to eat intuitively I'd still gain weight because my body wants more food that it needs...

I'm exactly the same with pancakes vs bacon and eggs.

Sometimes I will have pancakes for dinner, but never for breakfast.
  • KOO2020
    KOO2020 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi, I just had a moment to read this (as I am new), is anyone looking for support with intuitive eating?