Keto: I'm no longer diabetic!

My lab results are in: I have A1C of 5.4!

Triglycerides: Normal

Cholesterol: Normal

Liver function: Normal

Kidney function: Normal

I have been on it 3 *loonngg* months and I have been ridiculed and dismissed by the message board. I have lost 28 lbs.

I eat bacon, sausage, eggs, cheese, ribs, nuts, and veggies. The fruit was the one killing me. Strawberries are my favorite kind of fruit. Now that they're out of season I kind of substitute in raspberries-- which is OK, just not strawberries.

I now drink whole milk, and do stuff mushrooms and bell peppers! I have spent 20-30 carbs a day, and now I have a 30-45 carbs a day. I hope to go to 60-75 carbs a day, and my blood sugar will take it.

Rejoice in the coming new year!

Replies

• candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    My whole milk is Fairlife, and I do have bacon and sausage on occasion. My almond-flour and almond-milk pancakes with strawberries/raspberries fills me with such joy (my husband makes them for me once a week) that I'm making this my pancake recipe for the future.

I learned a lot about hidden sugars (maltodextrin, dextrose, sugar alcohols) and I actually made my own foods -- breads and tortillas.
    Congratulations! Keep up the good work! Hopefully you will be able to add some carbs back and be able to keep the A1C down nice and low.
    I say this from standpoint of being a Type 2 diabetic for 20 years. And by being Low Carb, about 55 or so a day. I too have great lipid numbers. However due to length I have been a diabetic there is no turning back to normal kidney function. I am working on the A1C still though.

Be proud of your accomplishment, it truly is a great one!

Aww! You're making me proud. :) My dad had Stage 4 of kidney failure when he died. He was diabetic (he wasn't obese/overweight). My grandmother, his mother, died of diabetes (she wasn't obese/overweight). She seems to have wasted away. His side of the family got it really bad.

Keep at it! <3
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,552 Member
    Congratulations, that's a great A1C! I love berries, try the bags of frozen berries out of the freezer for 15 minutes, they're so good like that. My A1C is 4.5 now, the biggest drop aside of weight loss was when I upped fiber. I eat more moderate carb now or my blood sugar goes too low and I'm off meds, weird to have the opposite problem! Glad you found a way of eating that works for you!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    If you like frozen berries and also chocolate, I love sprinkling cacao powder on frozen berries - hardly any carb, lots of flavor.
  • Sylphadora
    Sylphadora Posts: 75 Member
    That's AMAZING, Candy! 😄 Woot woot! 💃 Keto makes miracles. I went keto a couple of years ago for sugar & carb addiction and binge eating disorder. I don't crave those anymore. I went carnivore though because I still overate nuts and dairy, and honestly veggies were doing nothing for me but bloat me.
    I like Rheddmobile's suggestion of sprinkling cacao powder on frozen berries. You could also mix cacao powder with coconut oil in ice cube trays, put the berries in there and refrigerate. Homemade keto chocolates ;)
    Do you practice fasting too? Keto + fasting is the bomb!
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    I was around "pre-diabetic". My A1C was 5.8 last year, only during a bout of pneumonia with septic shock in March-April my glucose shot up 9.0. I was taking steroids to get kidneys to function, and I explained it all to my doctor.

Doctor: Diabetes! Diabetes!
    Me: I'm really not.
    Doctor: The patient is non-compliant. (I'm joking)

This was the same thing as my stroke. I got up 8.1 four years ago. But I got it down to 5.6 four years ago. May-August I was trying to reduce my blood glucose and I tried keto.

If your body's in trouble, blood glucose goes sky-high.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Great news!
  • IAmGainingHealth
    IAmGainingHealth Posts: 18 Member
    Impressive.

Please share your strategies.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    keto is a low carb diet so its not surprising that your numbers have improved.