What was the best holiday food you ate this week?

Options
lightenup2016
lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
edited December 2019 in Food and Nutrition
Many of us overindulge this time of year, but a lot of us also realize it’s just one week/two days/one day or whatever, and hopefully a temporary gain, if even that. So in the spirit of just relaxing and appreciating the good food you got to enjoy, what was the best holiday-related thing you ate this week?

I’ll start—My SIL made Oreo balls, which I reluctantly tried (I’m not super into sweets, and don’t like cream cheese), but oh my goodness, they were so awesome!! They were like brownie batter dipped in chocolate. I thoroughly enjoyed two and guess-logged them as 90 calories each.

A close second was same SIL’s squash casserole at dinner yesterday. It’s a calorie bomb with butter, cheese and crackers. I have it 1 or 2 times per year—sooo yum!!

I’m going to add weirdest thing and worst thing...

Weirdest—Pineapple and cheese casserole—it sounded really gross, but surprisingly tasted like dump cake! I actually went back for more.

Worst—Pasta with a creamy sauce—I know I don’t like creamy sauces, but it was a potluck and I felt compelled to try someone’s dish 🤢

Replies

• sweetbe44
    sweetbe44 Posts: 195 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Stuffing and my friend’s pumpkin chocolate chip cookies
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,136 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    I ate nothing different or special during the Xmas holiday, since I was the one cooking.

Just roasted chicken, a veggie casserole (I skipped the Hawaiian buns and the mashed potato), fruit salad, and a frozen yogurt-cream blueberry pie on Graham crust. But a couple glasses of wine on the 24th and the 25th were the exception and novelty, and something that my stomach didn't appreciate :s , since I am a very infrequent and occasional drinker. I have to add that I didn't log my Christmas food.

Glad that you enjoy your novelty food!
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Options
    I didn't really have anything out of the ordinary and didn't really go too over the top with indulgences... my family keeps things pretty simple. The best thing I had though was a roasted cauliflower salad! Also... the cheese board :smiley:
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I guess the weirdest thing was the pie my mom made with a blue Hubbard squash she found on the side of the road - we called it Road Kill Pie, lol.

It was better than pumpkin pie, actually.

Blue Hubbard squashes are HUGE!

about-blue-hubbard-squash.jpg
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Don’t judge. I have always liked popcorn, but it doesn’t like me. My best holiday indulgence was popcorn and hot tamales (the candy). Memories of teenage movies and ballgames!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Italian nougat
    Bonne Maman lemon curd on regular ol' toast
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Worst: I was in charge of the menu, so nothing ;)
  • jlhalley7835
    jlhalley7835 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    My MIL cooked a honey glazed ham, glazed with Jack Daniels Tennessee Honey :sweat_smile:
    and a store bought cobbler, probably not really "holiday food" but i rarely eat desserts any more so that was nice.
  • pancakerunner
    Options
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I bought a whole leg of jamón ibérico de bellota at a good price since I know the shop owner. It was amazing. Not too salty at all. Just right. I'm drooling just thinking about it.
  • pancakerunner
    Options
    mockchoc wrote: »
    I bought a whole leg of jamón ibérico de bellota at a good price since I know the shop owner. It was amazing. Not too salty at all. Just right. I'm drooling just thinking about it.

had to look this up... is it like a prosciutto or speck?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Best - my sister's homemade eggnog; my stuffing and magic cookie bars (similar to seven-layer bars).

Worst - nothing. Everything was good.

ETA - weirdest: Nothing, really. Unless you think the concept of a Jesus birthday cake for Christmas is weird.
  • mockchoc
    Options

It's fairly similar to proscuitto but better. When I was in Spain we bought some incredible pre-sliced cryo-vac'd Jambon. Cost a small fortune and it was put in my luggage which got lost between San Sebastion (Nrth Spain) and the Almalfi Coast in Italy. I was more worried about losing the Jambon than all my clothes :) Luckily it showed up eventually.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Oysters (raw with hot sauce, horseradish and shallot vinaigrette), jumbo shrimp cocktail (with homemade seafood sauce) and zuppa di pesce. And honestly my Mom's rapini and finocchio salad were amazing this year <3
  • mockchoc
    Options
    My dad use to always make zuppa di pesce. He fished almost every weekend. Lucky you sardelsa. I should try to make it one day.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    My dad use to always make zuppa di pesce. He fished almost every weekend. Lucky you sardelsa. I should try to make it one day.

It was so good, with fresh crusty Italian bread. Ahhh !
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Hubby requested "Chinese chicken" but I didn't have enough vegetable oil until I went grocery shopping today. It's basically bite size chicken breast and sliced jalapenos soaked in egg and soy, coated in cornstarch and pan fried. I sprinkled all of it with coarse black pepper. Served with white rice and mixed veg, and sweet chile sauce for dipping.
    We ate pasta with meat sauce on Christmas day. Nothing weird unless you count my kale and mushrooms under my pasta.
  • goatg
    goatg Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options

Omg. That is SO expensive!! Wow, I bet everyone loved you. That is *the* best ham
  • mockchoc
    Options
    goatg wrote: »

Omg. That is SO expensive!! Wow, I bet everyone loved you. That is *the* best ham
    goatg wrote: »

Yes it's rare to have it for us so really it's a little special but like I said I did get it at a very good price. Guess I should go let him know it was lovely. It's only the second time ever I got a whole leg.