Calories to spare, do you eat them the next day?

Options
Had a glitch with my Garmin not transferring over a workout from today (Ultimate Frisbee - so fun!) and I didn’t notice until just now so I have a couple hundred calories left, but at 11:22 PM I am not about to eat a snack (heeelllooo reflux). Normally I go day by day, but I know some people on here keep track more by the week... eating light a couple days prior to a bigger planned meal. It’s a mental hurdle to eat those calories tomorrow when I “earned” them today. Would like to hear thoughts and opinions. That GF donut sure would be good with breakfast tomorrow! ;)

Replies

• mlsh69
    mlsh69 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I eat them all throughout the week
  • tony56pr
    tony56pr Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    If I'm say 500 calories or less below my daily goal I let it slide if I'm feeling full etc... so that I have padding for my week. If by the end of the week I'm again 500 or so calories below goal I dont worry about it.

If on the other hand daily but especially weekly calories are extremely below goal I will try to make it up.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    You can, but you don't have to. In the long run, a few hundred calories isn't a big deal.
  • estherpotter1
    estherpotter1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I used to be allowed to on weight watchers but not this one
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    If I'm extremely active one day I'll often move some of that exercise to the next day and eat those calories then.

For example, yesterday was Saturday and I was out in the woods doing trail maintenance, practiced yoga, half of it vigorous, and had a long cook-fest. (I see the first hour of cooking I do in a day as part of my normal activity, but consider everything after that up for logging.)

I left quite a few calories on the table, and will eat some of them today.
  • MercuryForce
    MercuryForce Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I don't do a strict "I was 300 calories under yesterday, so I'm going to eat 300 extra tomorrow" type thing. But, I if I was low one day I'll be a little less concerned about that doughnut the next day. As long as my weekly average is at or below* my goal and I'm losing weight, I figure I'm doing well.

*I tend to aim for a weekly average of a couple hundred below my goal since I know even with consistent food scale use, I'm probably undestimating my consumption.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,944 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you know what works for you.

I cannot remember a day ever where I ate less than my goal, other than less than 100-200 calories here or there. I'll always eat until...because of exactly what you just posted.
    In response to your first comment on why I would choose to over eat the next day if I was under goal, I know if I don’t properly refuel, it will set me up to be overly hungry on a normal day’s worth of calories.

Then I get into a teeter totter situation that's hard to balance out again.

Every day is a new day to me. I don't borrow calories, bank calories, "listen to my body," or whatever else. I've been at this too long and know what works.
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,258 Member
    Options
    No I dont keep the calories as cmriverside says tomorrow is another day if anything I try to stay at my calorie limit or slightly under while I'm losing weight the just above when I go into maintaining.
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I rarely eat more than 20 cals under my goal, because I usually end the day with as many 43 calorie Dove chocolates as needed to hit my number LOL, but occasionally it does happen. I don't eat them the next day, or eat less the next day if I go over either. I really like having each day be "the first day of the rest of my diet" - clean slate, no baggage, just get up, weigh in, work out, and try to hit my number.
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you know what works for you.

I cannot remember a day ever where I ate less than my goal, other than less than 100-200 calories here or there. I'll always eat until...because of exactly what you just posted.
    In response to your first comment on why I would choose to over eat the next day if I was under goal, I know if I don’t properly refuel, it will set me up to be overly hungry on a normal day’s worth of calories.

Then I get into a teeter totter situation that's hard to balance out again.

Every day is a new day to me. I don't borrow calories, bank calories, "listen to my body," or whatever else. I've been at this too long and know what works.
    That’s pretty much what I was attempting to convey, I just couldn’t find the words :tongue: running on fibro fog lately. That’s why I normally do day to day, last night was an anomaly for me and part of me was disappointed I missed out on an extra treat (I skipped the sweets at breakfast because I didn’t know what the day would hold), but also knew it had potential for me to want to over eat today. Just trying to balance the teeter totter in a way outside of my norm...

• nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I have only banked calories a couple times for Thanksgiving and Christmas....on all the other days, I eat ALL my calories including ALL exercise calories.