program not working for me :(

Options
I have been on this program for about a month and I have been sticking to this and eating healthier than I ever have before, I log in everyday and log everything that goes in my mouth and I weigh and measure everything. I have been under 1200 calories just because I am eating mostly veggies it's not on purpose just can't get to 1200 some days. I had lost 7 lbs and gained 2 after stepping on the scale today. I have been going to the gym 5x per week to find out I lost almost nothing in inches even after meeting with a personal trainer oh in fact I gained 1 inch in my waist. I went off program for 1 day but logged everything. I am just so sorry I canceled my lap band surgery I really thought this was going to work but I was way wrong.
There isn't much help on here if you have questions like I asked so many times do I just make sure I eat the 1200 calories and not worry about the carbs and fat that I may go over it seems like I can't get 1200 calories in without going over in fat and carbs, but no one could give me that answer so I just stayed under or the same in everything which caused me to eat 800-1000 cal a day. I am thinking of going back to weight watchers this never happened when I was on that program unless I did it to myself,
5 lbs in a month is pathetic I have alot of weight to lose and that is just way too slow. Does anyone have any suggestions what am I doing wrong. I only eat carbs 1 meal a day, I eat fish, chicken and venison lots of veggies and no processed foods I should have lost more.

Replies

• samsonjuicer
    Options
    don't forget that going to gym 5 plus times a week actually puts on muscle size which weighs more!! I would be tempted to go by the tape measure and not the scales for a while you will be surprised of the transformation of body shape etc.. don't give up it WILL happen ... good luck and keep yer chin up xx...............carbs and protein should be eaten together as one works with the other to make it more beneficial hope this helps .......
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    5 lbs in a month is pathetic

er, what?
  • nevergiveup51
    nevergiveup51 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thanks for responding I did measure myself before going to the gym lost minimal in inches but gained an inch in my waist not sure what this is about, maybe thats what I am doing wrong I only have carbs 1x a day, and have been eating under 1200 everyday for a month with the exception of maybe 4 days. I am just so upset I really liked this program but not getting results.
  • TINAHUNTER1969
    TINAHUNTER1969 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Its sounds like you are not eating enough calories if you are exercising so much as well - MFP gives you extra calories when working out, have you been using these?

When you complete your food diary every day it tells you if you are eating too few calories - if this is the case then you won't lose weight.

MFP has calculated your calories using the information you have given, it will help you lose weight gradually and healthily if you follow the programme.

Someone else said on here earlier today, even if you are not losing weight you are still getting more healthy and I would rather this than go back to the bad habits and being miserable.

Good luck
  • nevergiveup51
    Options
    Yes when I am used to losing that in 1 week when I was on Weight watchers, don't forget I have 80 lbs to still lose i should have had at least 8 lbs gone it's not the 2 lbs per week this program said would happen. I had lost 120 lbs on WW, but didn't like the new program so I came here but I never had a program do what this one is doing to me and I really gave it my all.
  • Faery_Dust
    Faery_Dust Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Firstly eating 1200 calories a day and going to the gyn will not put you muscle ON. Going to the gym could cause sore muscles to hold on to water while they heal, so for that reason I actually second taking measurements.

5lbs a month is not pathetic, it's a tad over 1lb a week. I generally lose 1lb a week and do not see it as pathetic.

What are your carb and fat goals? If eating over 1200 calories causes you to go over your goals in carbs and fats, then they are set too low.

Unless you have a medical problem you should still lose weight eating carbs and fat. Our bodies need fat.

Are you eating any of your exercise calories back? If eating 1200 (or under) and not eating exercise calories back you could be netting like 600 calories a day which is not healthy and not sustainable in the long term.

Try making sure you hit 1200 calories at least, and eat at least 50% of your exercise calories. If you are enjoying eating mostly veggies eat some things that are higher in calories such as sweet potato, or avocados.

Even eating healthily, it's not difficult to eat 1200 calories a day.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Thanks for responding I did measure myself before going to the gym lost minimal in inches but gained an inch in my waist not sure what this is about, maybe thats what I am doing wrong I only have carbs 1x a day, and have been eating under 1200 everyday for a month with the exception of maybe 4 days. I am just so upset I really liked this program but not getting results.

you dont need to eat under 1200 cals per day... try changing your weight loss goal to lose 1lb per week.
  • nightshiftzoomer
    Options
    I think you should change your name!!
  • nevergiveup51
    Options
    Okay maybe you can shed some light on something that I have been asking around for 2 weeks now, but no one seems to know the answer. I knew I was eating too few calories, but I can't seem to get more calories in without going over on my carbs, and fats, do I ignore that and just go for the calories, I have been eating so many veggies and only carbs with 1 meal a day, no processed foods and everything is fat free or low fat I cook very healthy I am such at a loss here.
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Eating at a caloric deficit is definitely not a quick fix, but it's effective.
    1 pound/week is great. If you continue like this you will be to your goal weight in 1 and a half years.
  • ktpod1
    ktpod1 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    You are not eating enough. Read information on TDEE (go to a internet site called Scooby's Workshop and there are several calorie calculators. Try those to see what your actual calorie count should without eating back exercise ). Your hody needs a certain smount of calories to survive not doing anything and that is the 1200. If MFP put you at 1200 calories and you exercise 5x a week, you are supposed to eat back those calories. Try protein shakes for fillers. Good luck!
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Okay maybe you can shed some light on something that I have been asking around for 2 weeks now, but no one seems to know the answer. I knew I was eating too few calories, but I can't seem to get more calories in without going over on my carbs, and fats, do I ignore that and just go for the calories, I have been eating so many veggies and only carbs with 1 meal a day, no processed foods and everything is fat free or low fat I cook very healthy I am such at a loss here.

It seems you really should be getting more protein, but first and foremost your goal is to meet (and often exceed by a little bit when on a deficit) your calorie goal. If you have to get that from ice cream - do it!
  • nevergiveup51
    Options
    HaHA I am not giving up maybe Just with this program, I have already lost 120 lbs and have 80 more to go I worked very hard to lose it , so my name is very appropriate but thanks for your support you a real help
  • johnhendo
    Options
    1200 calories a day, ur doing serious metabolic damage.

Look up Layne Norton, watch his videos, and try and fix the problem the proper way.

You cant just eat veggies and expect weight loss, thats not sustainable for life.
  • samsonjuicer
    Options
    if you eat less than suggested then your body wiil go into starvation mode and hang on to any fat it can ....... and you must try and remember that whilst dieting and excercising fat has the terrible habit of moving around so you will measure different virtually every time you get measured ...... I was in the same circle of events but stuck with it and now have lost 5 stone plus in the last year and still plodding on lol I have introduced cycling now that I can fit comfortably on the saddle don't give up it will pay off so cheer up and onward and upward you can do it!!!!
  • TavistockToad
    Options

i have just looked at a few days of your diary - you say you only have carbs with one meal, but thats not what your diary days...

start tracking protein and aim to get around 100g. replace some of your carbs with protein, and that will balance your macros out more. build your meals around the protein and fat and then fill in the rest of the cals with carbs.
  • nevergiveup51
    Options
    Okay Thanks but why did MFP give me a 1200 cal diet to follow now I know why I had a headache for a week when I first started I was just following what the numbers said. If I only lose a 1 lb a week it will take me forever to lose 80 lbs uuggh there has to be a faster way, my co worker went on a crash diet didn't eat and only lived on protein shakes and she def didn't get 1200 cal a day and she never exercised she is now too thin lost 40 lbs in about 2 months now she starved herself so how is it different with me we are the same age.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    don't forget that going to gym 5 plus times a week actually puts on muscle size which weighs more!! I would be tempted to go by the tape measure and not the scales for a while you will be surprised of the transformation of body shape etc.. don't give up it WILL happen ... good luck and keep yer chin up xx...............carbs and protein should be eaten together as one works with the other to make it more beneficial hope this helps .......

OP is not building muscle eating under 1200 calories. More likely she's experiencing water retention.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    there has to be a faster way, my co worker went on a crash diet didn't eat and only lived on protein shakes and she def didn't get 1200 cal a day and she never exercised she is now too thin lost 40 lbs in about 2 months now she starved herself so how is it different with me we are the same age.

so do that then! noone is making you use MFP, but the fact of the matter is it is the best way to learn about healthy eating and keep the weight off long term

do you want a healthy lifestyle or do you just want to be scrawny and thin?
  • HefferSprint
    HefferSprint Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I immediately jumped to 1200 cals. a day. Didn't believe it when I read a person needs more. Who wants to eat more when you're trying to lose weight. I lost the first week, slowed down a lot in week 2, flatlined in week 3 and gained in week 4.

I have been reading about why people regain their weight plus more when they diet using extremely low calories. It makes sense to me. Although it is tempting when you see and hear people talk about having just dropped a bunch of weight in no time. I have 3 relatives who have done this. The first one who did it has gained most of it back already.

I can't suggest anything for you, since I'm in the same spot you are in. But I am going to eat more calories. I did my TDEE -20% and it put me at 1740.

Maybe you should try eating more for a few weeks, before you quit entirely. I only recently started paying more attention to my carbs, fats, protein and sodium. Trying to get more protein in (my diet is similar to yours), so I added a protein shake in the morning. And I'm trying to lower my sodium. But overall, I keep reading and hearing that it's calories in vs. calories out.

Just need to find your sweet spot. I'm still looking for mine. Best of luck!