Starvation Mode - Adaptive Thermogenesis and Weight Loss

Options

Replies

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry I wasn't clear.

As we lose weight part of that weight loss results in a reduced calorie need. Normally, a reduction in one pound results in a reduction of 5 to 10 cals per day in BMR. Depending on your activity this can be as high as 10-20 cals per pound lost. So your TDEE slowly reduces. You seem very active so any loss in LBM will be more visible in total loss of TDEE. Your doing more with less.

In order to stop that loss in TDEE one needs to build up lean mass or muscles. Hence my resistance training question.

If you are bothered by the loss of calories in your TDEE and want to have a higher level consider adjusting your training to build up muscle by moving training to a progressive resistance program of some sort.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Interesting that the more active you are, the more a change in BMR will affect TDEE. But it totally makes sense mathematically.

I don't think this is what it is, since my losses haver been only a couple of pounds each time.

And progressive resistance would be simply adding more weight as you continue your program, right?
  • californiabella
    Options
    bumpy
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    Interesting that the more active you are, the more a change in BMR will affect TDEE. But it totally makes sense mathematically.

I don't think this is what it is, since my losses haver been only a couple of pounds each time.

And progressive resistance would be simply adding more weight as you continue your program, right?

Progressive resistance is either increasing weights or repetitions (to a limit) or to a lesser extent number of sets.The efficiency of training and these factors goes beyond the main focus of this thread - may I suggest you look into the "eat train progress" group here, or search for training programs or send me a PM and we can discuss a specific program.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Yes thanks for the insights. Actually I was not so much looking for answers, as I am familiar with the processes, as commenting on how adaptation works in real life! Interesting topic. Your original post is the best I've read on the subject for understanding and being presented in a realistic reasonable way. This should be required reading at the beginning of everyone's journey!
  • BillRicks1
    BillRicks1 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Bump for later reference.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    Yes thanks for the insights. Actually I was not so much looking for answers, as I am familiar with the processes, as commenting on how adaptation works in real life! Interesting topic. Your original post is the best I've read on the subject for understanding and being presented in a realistic reasonable way. This should be required reading at the beginning of everyone's journey!

Thanks!
  • HazeyBlue69
    Options
    Keeping for later
  • boxfish100
    boxfish100 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    bump
  • shireeniebeanie
    shireeniebeanie Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    3) Take diet breaks and go to maintenance with the most calories that do not result in a weight gain when needed to reduce or recover the effect of adaptation. These diet breaks can be extensive (And this creates a logical framework for me for the Eat More to Loss process – if eating more “resets” the metabolism, then a loss will occur at what was maintenance)

This worked for me. I had stalled for a month, so I ate at maintenance for a week or two (feeling discouraged, I relaxed a bit, but didn't binge). As soon as I got back into a deficit this week, I was able to start losing again!
  • belrowley
    Options
    Thanks for this!! The term starvation mode seems very misused.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this!! The term starvation mode seems very misused.

Well, that and some of the effects of really starving are tied to it which isn't true, and then several out and out myths are tied to it too.

Just because some include wrong things with the description of it, doesn't mean it isn't a true thing.
  • angelarisher3
    angelarisher3 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later. Thanks for all the work and research :-)
  • GingerbreadCandy
    GingerbreadCandy Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Bump to read more carefully later. Brilliant work and really interesting research.
  • cortesr425
    cortesr425 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for taking the time to do this. Now I mostly get it. Might take a dozen rereads.
  • silkysatin
    silkysatin Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Interesting, thank you.

• TacoTina
    TacoTina Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    thank you for being long winded!
  • keithgreenkg
    keithgreenkg Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    This is brilliant! Nice work :)