My sister is obese

I have a question...my sister is obese but I NEVER see her eating. Since she gained the weight, does that cause her metabolisim to slow a way down? She says she wants to lose weight but she is not at the point where she is ready to do anything about it. I make myself available to her when she is ready. Is there anything I can do? I love her and I don’t want her to get sick or have heart problems because of this.

Replies

• julebrus2020
    julebrus2020 Posts: 26 Member
    If she's actually worried she should go see her doctor.

Other than that look up the UK show Secret Eaters on yutube. Because most likely she is eating way more than the both of you think she is.
  • cherrylou123
    cherrylou123 Posts: 96 Member
    HilTri wrote: »
    I have a question...my sister is obese but I NEVER see her eating. Since she gained the weight, does that cause her metabolisim to slow a way down? She says she wants to lose weight but she is not at the point where she is ready to do anything about it. I make myself available to her when she is ready. Is there anything I can do? I love her and I don’t want her to get sick or have heart problems because of this.

metabolism will slow down too if you aren't eating enough, if you aren't exercising and if you aren't having enough sleep .. better to eat when you are hungry but make wise food choices.. Eat more on real foods, lessen the unhealthy ones, drink lots of water, have enough sleep and exercise :)

i was obese before too but now just underweight by 5 kilo. I tried dieting but I didn't lose any until a friend helped me.. he made me realize the importance of a healthy lifestyle :)
  • She ought to also get checked for fibromyalgia by a rheumatologist. There isn't a cure for it, but knowing that that was what was behind my fatigue and exercise intolerance and mental fog helped a lot. Otherwise one just blames it on one's own stupid brain, and of course that sort of self-talk is never helpful.

If she has exercise intolerance, just a random walk is something that she will have trouble with, because her body views that walk the way your body would view you getting up one day and running a marathon. It's not under her control. It's possible to push back against it, but it's a slow process of making a given amount of movement part of your daily life, and then slowly, slowly, increasing that.