A new runner

Options
2»

Replies

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Jassaph wrote: »
    I'm a technological idiot and just use an app on my phone, distance is enough for me.

My top tips - for women a good sports bra can make it a much happier experience!

See if you can find a local race in about 3 months, a 5k fun run or something, I find having a goal really helpful.

This may depend on where you'll be running, obviously you have to risk assess. But headphones are important for me, I'll happily run for hours with a good audio book to listen to.

Thank you, i just jogged a little this morning to the hill behind my house and i was really feeling uncomfortable with the bra i had on therefore i had to go back and do a cardio exercise. I already had this in mind. Thank you

If you happen to need a larger cup size, I can't recommend Panache bras highly enough. I believe they go up to a J cup. I've worn them for five years at every size from a 40DDD to a 32C during my weight loss, and for all distances through the half marathon. Nothing moves that isn't supposed to move. They are a bit pricey, but well worth it.
  • Jassaph
    Jassaph Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    I'm a technological idiot and just use an app on my phone, distance is enough for me.

My top tips - for women a good sports bra can make it a much happier experience!

See if you can find a local race in about 3 months, a 5k fun run or something, I find having a goal really helpful.

This may depend on where you'll be running, obviously you have to risk assess. But headphones are important for me, I'll happily run for hours with a good audio book to listen to.

Thank you, i just jogged a little this morning to the hill behind my house and i was really feeling uncomfortable with the bra i had on therefore i had to go back and do a cardio exercise. I already had this in mind. Thank you

If you happen to need a larger cup size, I can't recommend Panache bras highly enough. I believe they go up to a J cup. I've worn them for five years at every size from a 40DDD to a 32C during my weight loss, and for all distances through the half marathon. Nothing moves that isn't supposed to move. They are a bit pricey, but well worth it.

Thank you, i might as well just order it online
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options

A good sports bra is really helpful when you start running! Also, run glide or something similar is helpful. I learned the hard way how much chaffing one can get from a sports bra or the seam on leggings!
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »

Thank you, i might as well just order it online

I get Panache bras on Amazon, though I've seen them in some sporting goods stores if you'd prefer to try them on in person. Sometimes a particular size or color is discounted on Amazon, and they come in wired and non-wired styles. They also fit like a normal bra, not one of those elastic compression things that you wrestle over your head, and they have a hook so you can wear them as a racerback if you want (which I do). Some people here prefer other brands, but Panache is the only one I wear.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, happy new year to MFP fellas. I recently joined this app, it's December actually, and am hoping to join the running team. I've never done this before (morning jog) and i kinda feel nervous about it all cos nobody jogs in the morning where i stay and there's no gym around here (all my equipments were literally bought, my home is practically my gym😪). Anyways, i really do hope to join the running team and not always cycling and weight lifting. So, if there are any tips on how i should get started or what i should look out for during my run please do tell, I'll really appreciate your responses, thank you😁

Really? There must be other runners in the area. I had no idea how many runners were out before the sun rises until I ran around town a few times. Check online are at your closest running store and I bet there will be somebody else looking for company.

Good luck.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    You’re getting a lot of good advice! The main thing I needed to be told was: slow down. Especially at first, don’t try to run fast, just as long as your feet are moving at in a running gait, your body is learning. Some new runners run even slower than they walk and that’s okay! Speed comes later.

Please feel welcome to check out the monthly running challenge on the challenge sub forum here. You set your own goals and many of the people there started with c25k. It’s a very welcoming and knowledgeable group!
  • SchweddyGirl
    SchweddyGirl Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    bemnet1988 wrote: »
    do you have a running watch like Garmin?

No, i don't have that. Is it important?

It can be a lot of fun. My Garmin and the other people running with Garmins makea it more transparent and supportive.

So people get overwhelmed with gadgets though. So it is NOT important, but if you are interested it can be a great addition.

Garmin Vivoactive 3 are fantastic, and as it is last years model you can pick one up for a song.

Thank you Chris, I'll use mapmyfitness app first for my run then buy Garmin later on, who knows😂😂

Garmin's are great...I have a the Garmin Instinct, and have had a Garmin since I started running. When I first started though I just used my phone. Either devices will work until you start getting into the higher miles, at which point you might want to invest in a Garmin (or GPS watch) so that you aren't draining your phone battery so fast.

Anyway, with starting out. Remember to take enough rest days to allow your body to adapt to the new sport. If your training plan says its a rest day, then take the rest day. Maybe just go for a walk that day, or make it a strength training day. There are a lot of things happening in your body as you begin running, and too much too soon can cause injuries which is the main derailment of new runners. Take your time and enjoy your training.