Options
2»

Replies

• Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    luvfit3 wrote: »
    Hey guys!

I'm am trying my best to drink at least 8 cups of water a day. If I weren't measuring I would assume I have been doing it right for years, but so far I haven't been able to reach the goal. I am determined today. I don't drink enough water....and I thought I was.

How do ya'll get in the adequate amount in a daily basis?

H20 deprived,

Hey @luvfit3 - I keep a tall glass of water by the bed - first thing in morning I chug it. :)
  • DollyWolf99
    DollyWolf99 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have a work water bottle at my desk that I make a goal of filling it up at least 3 times during the day. Having a goal and intention at the beginning of the day helps remind me to drink and fill it up :) I also keep a water bottle in my car with the goal that I drink the whole thing while commuting.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Symptoms of Dehydration

Not sure if you're dehydrated? In addition to thirst, these are the tell-tale symptoms of dehydration:

Dizziness
    Headache
    Fatigue
    Dry Mouth
    Irritability
    Constipation
    Dark-colored urine
    Dry skin

"Dehydration can be illness-related, due to the vomiting and diarrhea caused by a stomach flu and food poisoning. Dehydration can also be caused by exercise, heat, or even travel. The next time you're feeling dehydrated, grab any of the above drinks to get your body back in balance!" from:
    https://www.epicurious.com/expert-advice/the-7-best-drinks-for-dehydration-article

Also, one doesn't have to exclusively "drink" stuff to re-hydrate y/ourselves, eating hydrating foods is another important and fabulous way to say hydrated. Here's an article that goes into details about it:

10 Ways to Stay Hydrated (That Aren’t Water)
    https://dailyburn.com/life/health/healthy-foods-stay-hydrated-without-water/
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,711 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    This time of year my hydration is mostly from tea, which is of course mostly water.

The conventional wisdom used to be that caffeinated beverages don't count, but that turned out to be false.

A lot of people mentioned tea...I may have to become a lover of tea....what's your favorite?

Oh no. You have opened the can of worms :)

If you like black tea, the first two I always recommend are Paris and Earl Grey Supreme, both by Harney and Sons. These are the teas I make for people who think they don't like tea. My husband loves their Hot Cinnamon Spice tea, which tastes like a liquid cinnamon candy. I'm not a big green tea drinker, but I do like their Genmaicha.

As far as things that didn't come from Harney and Sons, I like strong British style black teas; Yorkshire Gold is my favorite. For things that are probably easier to find in US supermarkets, I like Tazo aged earl grey and their glazed lemon loaf (herbal).

I got a gift card to Adagio for Christmas, so I'm currently working my way through several of their teas. The honeybush chocolate was lovely with a sugar free vanilla syrup.

I am also currently drinking Ikea peppermint cocoa tea. Don't judge.

I usually go with Celestial Seasonings for iced teas. This is for a few reasons. Mostly, I can't have caffeine later in the day, so I switch to herbal iced tea. Celestial Seasonings has a lot of caffeine free options and isn't very expensive as teas go. I like many of their Zinger teas.

@apullum My "food" sister! If you can find it the Celestial Seasonings, Candy Cane Lane is good if you like peppermint and vanilla. Trader Joe's has a dupe of it but it may be out now, I have 4 boxes! I love Genmacha! Honeybush chocolate and Peppermint cocoa (currently using peppermint cocoa Trader Joe's almond milk in my cold brew) sound amazing! If you like unusual herbal teas I love Pukka's After Dinner with roasted fennel, chicory, and cardamon. There's another good night tea by Pukka with fennel, rose, and either lavender or chamomile that's really good too. I'm hoping they go on sale again soon at Sprouts so I can stock up, love fennel teas!!
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    This time of year my hydration is mostly from tea, which is of course mostly water.

The conventional wisdom used to be that caffeinated beverages don't count, but that turned out to be false.

A lot of people mentioned tea...I may have to become a lover of tea....what's your favorite?

If you like black tea, the first two I always recommend are Paris and Earl Grey Supreme, both by Harney and Sons. These are the teas I make for people who think they don't like tea. My husband loves their Hot Cinnamon Spice tea, which tastes like a liquid cinnamon candy. I'm not a big green tea drinker, but I do like their Genmaicha.

As far as things that didn't come from Harney and Sons, I like strong British style black teas; Yorkshire Gold is my favorite. For things that are probably easier to find in US supermarkets, I like Tazo aged earl grey and their glazed lemon loaf (herbal).

I got a gift card to Adagio for Christmas, so I'm currently working my way through several of their teas. The honeybush chocolate was lovely with a sugar free vanilla syrup.

I usually go with Celestial Seasonings for iced teas. This is for a few reasons. Mostly, I can't have caffeine later in the day, so I switch to herbal iced tea. Celestial Seasonings has a lot of caffeine free options and isn't very expensive as teas go. I like many of their Zinger teas.

@apullum My "food" sister! If you can find it the Celestial Seasonings, Candy Cane Lane is good if you like peppermint and vanilla. Trader Joe's has a dupe of it but it may be out now, I have 4 boxes! I love Genmacha! Honeybush chocolate and Peppermint cocoa (currently using peppermint cocoa Trader Joe's almond milk in my cold brew) sound amazing! If you like unusual herbal teas I love Pukka's After Dinner with roasted fennel, chicory, and cardamon. There's another good night tea by Pukka with fennel, rose, and either lavender or chamomile that's really good too. I'm hoping they go on sale again soon at Sprouts so I can stock up, love fennel teas!!

I wish we had a Sprouts here! The closest ones are in the San Jose area, so I always stop when we're there.

Currently I have lemon zinger Celestial Seasonings in the fridge, but I like tangerine zinger better. There was also a restaurant where I went to college that used a mix of red zinger and wild berry zinger for their iced tea.

Everything I've tried from Adagio so far was really good. I'll be reordering the honeybush chocolate, and I also had their Earl Grey Moonlight this morning. It was a lovely nice vanilla Earl Grey. They have sample sizes for $3-5 and shipping is reasonable.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I've been drinking a lot more herbal tea over the past few days, because I decided to limit my caffeine to a cup (or two at most) of coffee in the morning. I bought some Republic of Tea ones that looked good, and have been enjoying this orange ginger mint one, especially. I may go over to Argo later today or tomorrow to pick up some more.
  • luvfit3
    luvfit3 Posts: 44 Member
    Options

Thanks for the suggestions... I may have to try a few.
  • luvfit3
    Options
    Hey guys!

I'm am trying my best to drink at least 8 cups of water a day. If I weren't measuring I would assume I have been doing it right for years, but so far I haven't been able to reach the goal. I am determined today. I don't drink enough water....and I thought I was.

How do ya'll get in the adequate amount in a daily basis?

H20 deprived,

Hey @luvfit3 - I keep a tall glass of water by the bed - first thing in morning I chug it. :)

I rather keep it by the bed for the morning, then having it before bedtime. I do not want to be getting up peeing during the night like I am pregnant.
  • luvfit3
    Options
    I have a work water bottle at my desk that I make a goal of filling it up at least 3 times during the day. Having a goal and intention at the beginning of the day helps remind me to drink and fill it up :) I also keep a water bottle in my car with the goal that I drink the whole thing while commuting.

You are right goals are extremely great! Thanks
  • luvfit3
    Options
    Symptoms of Dehydration

Not sure if you're dehydrated? In addition to thirst, these are the tell-tale symptoms of dehydration:

Dizziness
    Headache
    Fatigue
    Dry Mouth
    Irritability
    Constipation
    Dark-colored urine
    Dry skin

"Dehydration can be illness-related, due to the vomiting and diarrhea caused by a stomach flu and food poisoning. Dehydration can also be caused by exercise, heat, or even travel. The next time you're feeling dehydrated, grab any of the above drinks to get your body back in balance!" from:
    https://www.epicurious.com/expert-advice/the-7-best-drinks-for-dehydration-article

Also, one doesn't have to exclusively "drink" stuff to re-hydrate y/ourselves, eating hydrating foods is another important and fabulous way to say hydrated. Here's an article that goes into details about it:

10 Ways to Stay Hydrated (That Aren’t Water)
    https://dailyburn.com/life/health/healthy-foods-stay-hydrated-without-water/

Nope definitely not dehydrated, but thanks!