Argh - swimming is NOT like riding a bike...

Options
Finally got myself to an indoor pool to get a baseline for my lap swimming (first Sprint Tri in April)... felt pretty good through the first 25m until I got to the end and realized I hadn’t breathed at all! :D That got me winded out of the gate, and I floundered from there on out. It’s been years since I did anything other than recreational swimming, and I just couldn’t coordinate my movements to breathe! I would forget to exhale, then suck in water, then overcompensate and raise up too high thus sinking the rest of my body. I ended up doing 12 laps with a combo of freestyle, breast and back stroke. It wasn’t pretty, but comforting to know that I can flop my way through the 10 necessary laps below the cutoff time... definitely leaves a LOT of room for improvement though! Reading up on Total Immersion, trying to watch videos so I can visualize the process since my pool time will be very limited (my daughter is sensitive to indoor pools, within 45 minutes it triggers her airways to swell in croup-like fashion so I can’t go during the day with them like I had planned).

Any exercises I can do out of water? Both for strength and form? My arms definitely could use some help since I don’t want to rely on my legs so I can save them for the bike/run.

Replies

• bighoopattitude
    bighoopattitude Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    No advice but I will add that swimming is hard, lol. When I do swim I only do it recreationally and I’m done after 25 minutes, lol. Keep at it! Good luck.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    breathing is important! and i say that as a long time swimmer - i would focus on breathing every 2/3 strokes - i know there is some thought on pushing longer, but as a newer swimmer - i think more frequent is better
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,004 Member
    Options
    I would suggest using the paddle tools they have at public pools, too.

There are these, place between your knees and then just use your arms to stroke: how-to-train-with-pull-buoy-1.jpg

Or you can use these on your hands to strengthen your stroke and make it easier to catch a breath without sinking: s-l300.jpg

Then use the paddle boards and do laps with just kicking. It's all good exercise and the more you do any of them the stronger you will get and that will make doing laps with no assist much easier. It's hard for anyone who has been out of the pool for a while.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Also...your friendly (and bored) lifeguard is almost guaranteed to be a current or former competitive swimmer, AND often teaches swimming skills. There is often on staff someone who coaches swim team.

Asking for feedback and suggestions while swimming (as long as you don't abuse it) is often free. And did I mention your lifeguard is often bored and watching you anyway?

Also, you can ask if there's a swim teacher/coach that could offer a consultation.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    I'm a fairly new swimmer myself (adult learner about 5 years ago). I don't have any advice, but your description reminded me of myself and made me giggle. I remember thinking, "Oh! THAT looks like a great workout! And so beautiful!" Ha. I made it to the end (25y) and about breathed up a lung. And I HAD taken breaths on the way down. Thankfully, I embraced the learning opportunity and challenge, and have managed to become a mediocre swimmer.

If you can flip and flail your way through 10 laps and be under time, you're off to a pretty good start. I am now lifting more than swimming, but one of my lifting goals was to make me a stronger swimmer. I do a lot of arms, back, chest and I can feel the difference in my swims.

Good luck. I can't wait to hear how your tri goes when you complete it!! :heart:
  • geraldaltman
    geraldaltman Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    Swimming was hard at 18; you would not believe how hard it is at almost 65 nevermind how impossible it was prior to my hip replacements. My swimming when I do it will never again be for any distance or duration. At best, laps will be alternated between stroke and walking only. I have no dry exercise thought. The majority of my exercise is walking or pool calesthenics & hip PT which I have not stopped doing (I now do them in water. Best of luck to you.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    As you start to build your swim fitness, my suggestion is similar to others': As @deannalfisher said, breathing easily and comfortably is key, as is exhaling continuously when your head is underwater so your lungs are empty when you turn to take a breath.

An easy mantra to help you remember this is to repeat "bubbles....bubbles....Breath....bubbles....bubbles....Breath" in time with your strokes. In that example, you'd be breathing every third stroke.

The other suggesion is to focus on SLOWING DOWN and trying to swim with perfect form. If you lock in good form, endurance will follow, since swimming is all about technique.

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Good job getting back in the pool! Swimming is mostly about technique and form. A strong core really helps. Get some adult lessons if possible. The benefit of learning kicking is to help you keep you legs in a good position. Lack of kicking causes your legs to sink which throws off your upper body position and slows you down. You don’t have to kick hard. Only 20% of power comes from the kick anyways.
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Slow down, concentrate on your form first.

If you used to swim regularly, I expect it will come back as you practice, if not it would be worth getting a few lessons to get you into the right technique.

I would do sets of laps for each stroke, so for example 5 each freestyle, breast stroke, backstroke.
  • goatg
    goatg Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    Lifetime in SoBe by any chance?
  • goatg
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Do more exercises in, not out of, the water. Don’t not kick them during the swim (esp since they keep help keep your hips up and swimming really is a fluid, rhythmic full body motion not a disconnected bottom vs upper bifurcation). Strengthen them if they’re weak.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    I could never swim. I liked the idea of doing a tri but know I'd flounder so bad in open water. There are tris that do Paddling, Mountain Biking and Trail Running -- those would be my kind of triathlons! No sinking necessary! Though swimming is great for you.
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    goatg wrote: »
    ?

• goatg
    Options
    ?

Ah. Just another rust buster April sprint :)
  • moonangel12
    Options
    I could never swim. I liked the idea of doing a tri but know I'd flounder so bad in open water. There are tris that do Paddling, Mountain Biking and Trail Running -- those would be my kind of triathlons! No sinking necessary! Though swimming is great for you.
    I saw one with kayaking as the first leg, totally up my alley! What you described sounds like a blast - trails runs are my favorites!

• Djproulx
    Options
    ?

https://www.southbeachtriathlon.com/race/course/
  • moonangel12
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Do more exercises in, not out of, the water. Don’t not kick them during the swim (esp since they keep help keep your hips up and swimming really is a fluid, rhythmic full body motion not a disconnected bottom vs upper bifurcation). Strengthen them if they’re weak.
    More pool time would be ideal, but not much of an option in this season of life, especially with my daughter’s reaction to chlorine. Homeschool mom of 4, my husband is gone 12 hours a day, in school, preaches, etc. so evening time is family time as we can get it and not where I can leave for a couple hours multiple times a week (nearest indoor pool is 30+ minutes away).

Leg strength isn’t an issue, just trying to use them as little as possible... I don’t want to overcompensate my weak upper body by wasting lower body energy to keep me going, if that makes sense. I want to work on proper form, but also realize I am lacking in the strength department for that.
  • Djproulx
    Options
    ?

Are you in for the SoBe Olympic? All the cool kids are doing it, lol......
  • goatg
    Options

More pool time would be ideal, but not much of an option in this season of life, especially with my daughter’s reaction to chlorine. Homeschool mom of 4, my husband is gone 12 hours a day, in school, preaches, etc. so evening time is family time as we can get it and not where I can leave for a couple hours multiple times a week (nearest indoor pool is 30+ minutes away).

Leg strength isn’t an issue, just trying to use them as little as possible... I don’t want to overcompensate my weak upper body by wasting lower body energy to keep me going, if that makes sense. I want to work on proper form, but also realize I am lacking in the strength department for that.

Not using them still a bad idea imo (& my master swim coach’s/former Olympian) but if you’re set on it good luck.
  • goatg
    Options
    Djproulx wrote: »
    ?

Are you in for the SoBe Olympic? All the cool kids are doing it, lol......

Lol. Actually visited old teammates in nyc today. They’re doing it. Seriously thinking about it.