Argh - swimming is NOT like riding a bike...

Options

Replies

• moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    goatg wrote: »
    Lifetime in SoBe by any chance?
    ?

Ah. Just another rust buster April sprint :)
    Gotcha! Not up on the lingo yet :D

Westfields is what I am signed up for...

https://rev3tri.com/westfields/

• moonangel12
    Options
    Do more exercises in, not out of, the water. Don’t not kick them during the swim (esp since they keep help keep your hips up and swimming really is a fluid, rhythmic full body motion not a disconnected bottom vs upper bifurcation). Strengthen them if they’re weak.
    More pool time would be ideal, but not much of an option in this season of life, especially with my daughter’s reaction to chlorine. Homeschool mom of 4, my husband is gone 12 hours a day, in school, preaches, etc. so evening time is family time as we can get it and not where I can leave for a couple hours multiple times a week (nearest indoor pool is 30+ minutes away).

Leg strength isn’t an issue, just trying to use them as little as possible... I don’t want to overcompensate my weak upper body by wasting lower body energy to keep me going, if that makes sense. I want to work on proper form, but also realize I am lacking in the strength department for that.

Not using them still a bad idea imo (& my master swim coach’s/former Olympian) but if you’re set on it good luck.
    What I have been watching/reading has a focus on using arms more than legs to save them for the rest of the course... focusing on proper form for that reason. I didn’t drag my limp lower body or anything, just didn’t rely on my legs for propulsion just to see where I was at and what I could (or could not) do in the water. Totally a “test the waters” swim session. I’m not trying to argue, nor am I setting anything in stone, just trying to figure it all out as I go. I have never done a multi sport event like this before so it will for sure be a learning process for me.

• neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I do water aerobics and increase speed as I go along.
  • tracybear86
    tracybear86 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Leg strength isn’t an issue, just trying to use them as little as possible... I don’t want to overcompensate my weak upper body by wasting lower body energy to keep me going, if that makes sense. I want to work on proper form, but also realize I am lacking in the strength department for that.

A lot of improving your technique is about reducing drag. If you are not going to use your legs at all you might want to look into a leg buoy (I think someone posted one above?). Legs don't count for much of your total propulsion swimming but if they are sinking it will definitely increase your overall drag.
    https://www.swimoutlet.com/blog/7-not-so-secret-ways-of-reducing-drag-in-your-freestyle-races
    Also I know a lot of non-swimmers who don't have very good ankle flexibility which is important in swimming.
    https://www.swimmingscience.net/ankle-swimming-flexibility/
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Do more exercises in, not out of, the water. Don’t not kick them during the swim (esp since they keep help keep your hips up and swimming really is a fluid, rhythmic full body motion not a disconnected bottom vs upper bifurcation). Strengthen them if they’re weak.
    More pool time would be ideal, but not much of an option in this season of life, especially with my daughter’s reaction to chlorine. Homeschool mom of 4, my husband is gone 12 hours a day, in school, preaches, etc. so evening time is family time as we can get it and not where I can leave for a couple hours multiple times a week (nearest indoor pool is 30+ minutes away).

Not using them still a bad idea imo (& my master swim coach’s/former Olympian) but if you’re set on it good luck.
    What I have been watching/reading has a focus on using arms more than legs to save them for the rest of the course... focusing on proper form for that reason. I didn’t drag my limp lower body or anything, just didn’t rely on my legs for propulsion just to see where I was at and what I could (or could not) do in the water. Totally a “test the waters” swim session. I’m not trying to argue, nor am I setting anything in stone, just trying to figure it all out as I go. I have never done a multi sport event like this before so it will for sure be a learning process for me.

personally as an experienced triathlete - i think that is some of the most horrible advice that continues to perpetuate the tri world...if you want the pros swim (Andy Potts, Lucy Charles etc) - they kick for their entire swim - they don't focus on using arms more. <off my soap box>
  • moonangel12
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Then this is what I am posting here for! Evidently I haven’t been getting the best info (not sure where I saw/read it, but it made sense the way it was explained). Any videos you would recommend to watch for basics on form? I am not expecting to smash the swim leg between now and April, I just don’t want to embarrass myself :# and unfortunately it will be with limited swim sessions, I am hoping to get to the pool every two weeks at least. Not ideal, but I can’t jeopardize my daughter’s airways, especially this time of year, so I will have to find creative times to go...
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options

personally as an experienced triathlete - i think that is some of the most horrible advice that continues to perpetuate the tri world...if you want the pros swim (Andy Potts, Lucy Charles etc) - they kick for their entire swim - they don't focus on using arms more. <off my soap box>

I agree completely. I think this myth has persisted because so many newbies are trying to soccer kick their way through the swim. Tri club leaders may find it easier to tell people not to kick rather than teach proper kick in a group setting. A correct kick and correct form will conserve energy rather than expend it.
  • moonangel12
    Options
    jm_1234 wrote: »
    Maybe there are salt water pools in your area, they are usually more gentle on lungs, eyes, and skin. I believe LA Fitness uses them.

I'm in the no kick club mainly because I didn't have time to learn it and my natural technique threw off my rhythm and exhausted me. If I changed anything on my first tri it would have been to save my bike legs for running. I totally blew out my legs during the bike and it killed my run.

Yes! I found one, and was super excited at first! BUT, it’s 45 minutes away, $140/month for the family, and an annual contract :/ I don’t mind the cost or distance during the cold weather months, but once it warms up we will be on the river, not at an indoor pool.

• LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    1) slow down
    2) breathe every third stoke (so you alternate sides)
    3) don't lift your head. do look forward underwater when not breathing. The waterline should be on your forehead above your goggles.
  • moonangel12
    edited January 2020
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    I agree completely. I think this myth has persisted because so many newbies are trying to soccer kick their way through the swim. Tri club leaders may find it easier to tell people not to kick rather than teach proper kick in a group setting. A correct kick and correct form will conserve energy rather than expend it.
    That makes sense... I will see if I can channel my old stroke/form next time, maybe with that not being on my mind I won’t struggle quite as bad...
  • mhdashler
    mhdashler Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I have been swimming for quite a while. What helps me is getting into a pattern of breathing. Your breathing in swimming should be just like your breathing in every day life. You should always either be breathing in or breathing out. LAT1963 recommended every 3rd stroke. I think that would be ideal for me, but for some reason, I always suck in water when I try to breath from the right side. So for me, I am always breathing every 2nd or 4th stroke. I often alternate between 2nd and 4th strokes during my swim depending on how I feel. There is no cookie-cutter answer. You just have to find what works best for you.

I'd like to ask a question if I may. I would like to break into the sprint triathlon scene too. I'm fine on the bike and in the water, but haven't done any running in 3+ years. Any training plan recommendations for the triathlon?
  • moonangel12
    Options
    mhdashler wrote: »
    I have been swimming for quite a while. What helps me is getting into a pattern of breathing. Your breathing in swimming should be just like your breathing in every day life. You should always either be breathing in or breathing out. LAT1963 recommended every 3rd stroke. I think that would be ideal for me, but for some reason, I always suck in water when I try to breath from the right side. So for me, I am always breathing every 2nd or 4th stroke. I often alternate between 2nd and 4th strokes during my swim depending on how I feel. There is no cookie-cutter answer. You just have to find what works best for you.

I'd like to ask a question if I may. I would like to break into the sprint triathlon scene too. I'm fine on the bike and in the water, but haven't done any running in 3+ years. Any training plan recommendations for the triathlon?
    Most of the Sprint Tris I looked at were 5ks so my first thought is a C25K program...

• goatg
    goatg Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options

How do you think you can focus on proper swimming form without kicking?
  • mhdashler
    mhdashler Posts: 103 Member
    Options

Most of the Sprint Tris I looked at were 5ks so my first thought is a C25K program...

I was thinking about that, but I was hoping to find a training plan that would incorporate all three components. Otherwise, I had just planned on doing each (swim, bike, & run) twice a week.

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I'm not a Tri, but have been swimming for 23 years. I've found that instead of concentrating on your inhale, concentrate on your exhale. Then I'd look at core work, especially planking. Then I'd do some work with dumbells to strengthen your arms. Coordination will come, and I second getting lessons or advice from an expert watching you swim. Good luck.
  • moonangel12
    Options
    How do you think you can focus on proper swimming form without kicking?
    OK. I get it. I was misinformed. Hence why I am here asking... and it wasn’t me not kicking at all, it was more of a focus on arms to pull me through the water and not using my legs as much...
  • deannalfisher
    Options

I was thinking about that, but I was hoping to find a training plan that would incorporate all three components. Otherwise, I had just planned on doing each (swim, bike, & run) twice a week.

while i haven't used this one specifically (I used their half iron plan, not their sprint one) - these is pretty simple:
    http://www.trinewbies.com/tno_trainingprograms/10wtp.pdf
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options

This is another source for training plans, including free ones: https://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/trainingplans-list.asp.

I used to like this site a lot, haven't hung out there for ages, so cant speak for it now, but I've used their plans for oly tris.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    @mhdashler - In addition to the online sources mentioned above, if you want a hardcopy plan, Joe Friels book "Your First Triathlon: race ready in 5 hrs per week" has a complete guide to how to start preparing for a race, including exercises, workouts and training plans for Sprint and Olympic distance races.

Re: swimming, I agree with @snowflake954 that a focus on exhaling is very helpful. That's why a lot of new swimmers like the "Bubbles... Bubbles.... BREATH" mantra. It helps to concentrate on exhaling bubbles rather than trying to hold your breath and then your lungs are empty as you turn your head to inhale. When done in sync, this avoids the need to finish exhaling when your head is out of the water, then "gulp" for air before continuing.

Curious about what my mfp tri friends think, but regarding the "kick vs no kick" approach in triathlon swimming, my guess is that it comes from the fact that 1)in triathlon training and racing, a wetsuit will allow you to float, so you don't "have" to kick in order to move, and 2) for many triathletes coming from a non swimming background (like me) weak kicking and poor kicking can use a lot of energy, so they try to "save their legs" by limiting their kicks. This can present other problems like sinking legs, poor body position, lack of rotation, etc. With that said, learning to kick is key to developing a good swim stroke.

• deannalfisher
    Options
    Djproulx wrote: »
    @mhdashler - In addition to the online sources mentioned above, if you want a hardcopy plan, Joe Friels book "Your First Triathlon: race ready in 5 hrs per week" has a complete guide to how to start preparing for a race, including exercises, workouts and training plans for Sprint and Olympic distance races.

Re: swimming, I agree with @snowflake954 that a focus on exhaling is very helpful. That's why a lot of new swimmers like the "Bubbles... Bubbles.... BREATH" mantra. It helps to concentrate on exhaling bubbles rather than trying to hold your breath and then your lungs are empty as you turn your head to inhale. When done in sync, this avoids the need to finish exhaling when your head is out of the water, then "gulp" for air before continuing.

Curious about what my mfp tri friends think, but regarding the "kick vs no kick" approach in triathlon swimming, my guess is that it comes from the fact that 1)in triathlon training and racing, a wetsuit will allow you to float, so you don't "have" to kick in order to move, and 2) for many triathletes coming from a non swimming background (like me) weak kicking and poor kicking can use a lot of energy, so they try to "save their legs" by limiting their kicks. This can present other problems like sinking legs, poor body position, lack of rotation, etc. With that said, learning to kick is key to developing a good swim stroke.

what's the saying - you can't win a tri on the swim but you can lose it - IMHO, many triathlete's don't spend near enough time in the pool - its always seen as the hardest part of the training vs. the running/riding which you can easily do from home