The dreaded plateau

Options
I've hit a plateau and can't budge the scale after losing 55 pounds. I am hitting my workouts, drinking half my body weight in water, and am below my calories. What is your best tip for moving forward?

Replies

• elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    You've doing a great job.. 55 pounds down is incredible. Don't get discouraged..hang in there.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    How long has it been that you have been stuck at 55 lbs down? (Congrats btw, that's awesome) How much more weight do you need to lose?

As you get closer to a healthy weight, the rate of loss will necessarily slow down, and smaller losses of fat per week can easily hide behind water weight swings on the scale, sometimes for multiple weeks.
  • pico6222
    pico6222 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I recently busted through a plateau by increasing my calories (to what was recommended for maintenance) and increasing my protein intake. I'm not super low carb but the small shift in macros and more calories made the difference!

Mentally, rather than obsess about the plateau, I accepted it, told myself I was OK with maintaining for a while (at least I wasn't gaining), and just tried to stay positive and not be negative. That was why I increased my calories to maintenance. It worked!

For reference, I had initially lost 24lbs before the plateau, then was stuck for about 3 months at the same weight, even when I tried decreasing my calories. Since the change I've lost 6 more lbs.

Also, great work on those 55lbs lost!
  • fitnessguy266
    fitnessguy266 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    How long has it been that you have been stuck at 55 lbs down? (Congrats btw, that's awesome) How much more weight do you need to lose?

As you get closer to a healthy weight, the rate of loss will necessarily slow down, and smaller losses of fat per week can easily hide behind water weight swings on the scale, sometimes for multiple weeks.

This for certain. Your body will adjust gears as you get closer to your desired weight, fat oxidization will be a bit slower, and water retention will start to accumulate as well....hence the masking of loss.
  • KrystalKayeFisher
    KrystalKayeFisher Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the tips. I finally had a loss.