Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Putting things in place now for maintenance

LotusCassLotusCass Posts: 139Member Member Posts: 139Member Member
I’ve just started my 4th attempt at losing and maintaining. Each year I lose around 10kgs and almost reach my goal weight, then something in my mindset does a complete 180 and I stop everything. I don’t know why it happens but I just stop caring about how I look and feel. It’s like a switch goes off in my head and I want to feel free to eat what I like. I know what I’m doing when I stop tracking, stop weighing and eat anything, but I just say to myself I don’t care. I gain all the weight back on again each time, sometimes more. This time round I need to do something different obviously. I’ve joined WW for the accountability and routine of attending meetings and weigh-ins, but that may not help either as I’ll probably just stop going. Has anyone else been through this and then managed to find a way to maintain and have any advice? I’m pretty sure it’s mindset and that I need to find a way to accept that I must be mindful of what I put in my body all the time, but not sure how to do that.
edited January 10

Replies

• ReenieHJReenieHJ Posts: 926Member Member Posts: 926Member Member
    If maintaining is the issue, what if you found an exercise program that fits your lifestyle? For example, just plain walking, or going hiking, dancing, play tennis, golf, whatever you like to do so it'd be easier to get it into your life and stick with it? IOW, become more active physically so you burn the calories?
  • LotusCassLotusCass Posts: 139Member Member Posts: 139Member Member
    Thanks for all the suggestions. Definitely finding a fitness activity I enjoy is essential. I’m currently doing a trial at some different gyms as I know classes are my thing so I want to find one I really enjoy.
    kcmcbee wrote: »
    Maintaining is a tough one and I’m very new at it so... But I searched around for maintenance support type info and have listened to the podcast “half size me” quite a bit just for perspectives from a regular person who’s done it. She has other sources besides the podcast if you’re not into that. I put it on while on the treadmill or walking and listen to a few others as well just to see what has worked for other maintainers. Good luck! You can do it!

Yes I think this kind of thing might really help. I have a meditation app I use for sleep and I just checked and they have weight loss meditations too. I might try that as well.

• SummerSkierSummerSkier Posts: 1,113Member, Premium Member Posts: 1,113Member, Premium Member
    Oh and 1 more thing. Some of us are all or nothing versus moderating types. You have to know yourself. It is not sustainable to restrict yourself from foods you love long term. But there are pretty decent low calorie alternatives on the market these days. So if your achilles heel is say peanut butter. Try PB2. Or Ice cream? Try Enlighten or Yasso yogurt bars. I used to love blue bell ice cream. I could eat a pint or 2 every evening (and that's about 2K cals!!!!!). Now it's really too sweet. I tried to go back to it when I started maintaining and I have to say I adore the Enlighten chocolate for a mere 280 a pint. And they are a little pricey but my store is constantly putting out coupons. etc.

Just more to think about as to how you can get off the merry go round. ;)
  • LotusCassLotusCass Posts: 139Member Member Posts: 139Member Member
    Wow thanks everyone, there’s a lot for me to think about. I do need to embrace the ‘eat for health’ idea. I also feel a bit like I’m an all or nothing person and that may contribute; I find it hard to find the middle ground in maintenance. I’ll take all those ideas on board. Thanks so much!
  • iromooreviciromoorevic Posts: 1Member Member Posts: 1Member Member
    Keep pushing strong and do not give up, believe me you will reach your goals
  • tsazanitsazani Posts: 633Member Member Posts: 633Member Member
    Research fasting. It's my MAIN weapon for weight maintenance.

I also eat a Phase 4 maintenance Atkins diet and do 160 min of moderate level exercise per week.