contaceptive implant hindering weight loss?

Options
2»

Replies

• raverhayley
    raverhayley Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I was on the Depo shot for 9 months. I gained 40 pounds (up to 180). Got off the shot and lost 20 pounds without trying. I decided to try the Mirena. I had uncontrollable hunger and gained 20 pounds (at this point I'd gone down to 137 and then went up to 157). I also had really bad bacterial infections. My doctor told me the Mirena doesn't cause those symptoms, yadda yadda yadda. I still insisted she remove it and voila! haven't had an infection since then (a year ago) and my crazy hunger is gone. I haven't been back on birth control since and don't plan to.

Long story short: you know your body. I don't really trust doctors when they tell me "oh it doesn't cause those symptoms". :grumble:

I agree with you. I made my mind up its coming out! sick of having skin like a teenager too!!
  • Maaike84
    Maaike84 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    how long have you had it? your body needs time to adjust to any new type of contraceptive - the hormones can really addle with your system. In the long run however it shouldn't prevent you from losing weight, but if I were you I'd discuss this with my doctor if I was really concerned about it.
  • lauz0987
    Options
    Before I start I want to say that this effects everyone differently this is my personal experience

2 weeks ago I was sitting reading all about how the contraceptive implant has effected people's weight and to see if they lost weight after having it removed, I wanted to know if I was the only one. I had my implant fitted nearly 2 years ago...and boy did I wait way too long to have it taken out. From I had it inserted I gained 3 stone in two years and I am a fairly active person. I was really down over the weight gain and had put it down to the impant so I booked in to have it removed. After reading up I was skeptical as to wether this would actually help me lose weight or not but I was willing to try anything. It has now been exactly two weeks from I have had it removed and I have lost a total of 9lbs. Doing absolutely nothing different. I haven't changed my diet and I fact haven't exercised at all as I haven't had the time, I do plan on starting a regular exercise programme to help me shed the extra 20lbs I put on so I will see how that goes :) I couldn't be happier that my weight is finally beginning to drop.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    implanon

Dunno what this is. I have Mirena, and I have had no issues losing weight on it.
    Lucky you. I had the Mirena (with it's supposedly localized hormones) and my boobs grew a size, and ached, I was bloated, got migraines and gained 8LBS or so in the first month.
    And then I had that damn thing removed.

I think the key with all hormonal BC is to remember: YMMV
    And to remember there are other choices. It's not a binary decision between hormones and pull and pray.

OP there are other threads on this as well, if you want to read other folks' opinions.