Pear Shaped Women - Skinny jeans?

Options
Hello my fellow pears!
I have always wanted to wear skinny jeans but with my butt and hips I feel so awkward! Do you wear them? How do you style? Ideas please!

Replies

• toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I personally don't think it's a flattering style. I think a boot cut, or a slight flair, which elongates the entire line of the body from waist to foot, is more flattering for women with this body type.
  • kaned_ferret
    kaned_ferret Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    nope can't fit into them. It's not just the hips and thighs, but the calves as well. To get "skinny jeans" style that fit my calves I have to go up to a size 16 - which is then waaay to big for the top half. It's just not the style for me!
  • ksavy
    ksavy Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I wear them with either high boots or a pair of heels. I just wear them like I would other jeans, and just rock the fact that I am a pear.
  • LadyGhostDuchess
    LadyGhostDuchess Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I personally don't think it's a flattering style. I think a boot cut, or a slight flair, which elongates the entire line of the body from waist to foot, is more flattering for women with this body type.

Bootcut look better on me.
  • hellsbell
    hellsbell Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I must agree with the posters above. I too am a pear who would love to be able to wear skinny jeans and have even given in to the temptation to try them on in shops. I can con myself on the shop floor but the dressing room mirror invariably tells the truth - they look awful, no matter what colour or fabric, because they just don't flatter a pear shape. If you get a pair to fit your hips and thighs they're much too big on the waist and look sloppy. Anything that fits on the waist won't come past your thighs.

Almost any other style of trousers is more flattering - straight leg, bootcut, loose fit. Skinny jeans are designed for - and look great on - those with narrow hips and slim legs.
  • KatieTee83
    KatieTee83 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I've got a few pairs of skinnies that I just rock regardless. I make sure to get them long enough to cover my ankles, because the length helps to balance out my delightful hips and thighs. Then I pair them with some simple flats and a top that falls to about mid-zipper -- again, balancing out the hips.
  • Shoney2013
    Shoney2013 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Pear shaped ladies can wear skinnies. I love to wear my skinnies with a tank top, a blazer and flats or heels. You can even do wedges. Roll the sleeve up on the blazer for a more casual look. If you want to accentuate your waistline, put a belt on over your tank top. Oh and don't forget a cute necklace and earrings. You'll look fabulous!!
  • toutmonpossible
    Options

Bootcut look better on me.

Me, too.
  • toutmonpossible
    Options
    I must agree with the posters above. I too am a pear who would love to be able to wear skinny jeans and have even given in to the temptation to try them on in shops. I can con myself on the shop floor but the dressing room mirror invariably tells the truth - they look awful, no matter what colour or fabric, because they just don't flatter a pear shape. If you get a pair to fit your hips and thighs they're much too big on the waist and look sloppy. Anything that fits on the waist won't come past your thighs.

Almost any other style of trousers is more flattering - straight leg, bootcut, loose fit. Skinny jeans are designed for - and look great on - those with narrow hips and slim legs.

I'm not even crazy about jeans. They hug the body too much. I really don't care for myself in pants, but if I wear them I prefer linen, cotton, or wool in a style that glides over the parts I'm trying not to emphasize.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I am a pear girl and I hate skinny jeans (just don't like them). I always have preferred a bootcut jean.
  • whitney_simpson
    whitney_simpson Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm somewhere between a pear and hourglass. I personally like skinny jeans because they're super versatile. During the summer I can roll them a few times to make them look like capris and wear them with gladiator sandals.
  • curly1986
    curly1986 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Im not a fan of skinnies on pear shaped women. I think it tends to make their *kitten* and thighs look much bigger than they actually are. Im a fan of wide leg trousers/jeans myself. Not everyones cup of tea I know. But I find they balance things. As someone else said I think they only people who look good in skinnies are basically skinny women with a very up-and-down figure.
  • toutmonpossible
    Options
    Im not a fan of skinnies on pear shaped women. I think it tends to make their *kitten* and thighs look much bigger than they actually are. Im a fan of wide leg trousers/jeans myself. Not everyones cup of tea I know. But I find they balance things. As someone else said I think they only people who look good in skinnies are basically skinny women with a very up-and-down figure.

I agree. I no longer worry about being able to wear every clothing style. If I can find a few styles in which I look good that's plenty.

Same thing with my hair. Decades ago, I gave up trying to imitate all the styles in the magazines which weren't suited for my hair, face, personality, or lifestyle. If my hair is healthy, looks good, and can be worn up in a ponytail and down I'm happy. Even a simple, somewhat natural look takes effort, time, and money.
  • KemaVA
    KemaVA Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I love skinny jeans that can fit my bottom. I dont try to hide the fact that my bottom is sizeable. lol! I wear them with heels.
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I do not like skinny jeans ON ME (wear what makes you look and feel great) because they are always too tight in the legs and too loose in the waist. I prefer straight legged or bootcut styles.
  • Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Options

Sadly..this is me too:frown:
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Well I wear skinnies and I think I look great. I like a nice tight and close the body look, and I love them with boots or heels (Just got some cute black booties and my darkwash skinny jeans are perfect with them)

Do what makes you happy.
  • Sarah_L_S
    Sarah_L_S Posts: 121
    Options
    If you have a small waist and large hips/legs, try the Levi's Curve range. They come in 'demi curve' and 'bold curve' - this one is for maximum difference between waist/hips. I have 28 waist and 39 hips, and they fit very well. I wear with a long cardigan, and tight t-shirts so my bum is covered but my slimmer top half can be seen!
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I'm somewhere between a pear and hourglass. I personally like skinny jeans because they're super versatile. During the summer I can roll them a few times to make them look like capris and wear them with gladiator sandals.

Same here! I wear them often. My big problem is fitting around the calves. Most are way too baggy in the calves so they look stupid. (I have drumstick legs and skinny ankles. It is hard to find well fitting skinnies.)

I just pair them with a looser top. Or a longer top depending on the look I am going for.

I've got these on today!

http://www.forever21.com/Product/Product.aspx?BR=plus&Category=faith_denim&ProductID=2072654141&VariantID=
  • LadyGhostDuchess
    LadyGhostDuchess Posts: 894 Member
    Options

This is my ordeal, I am always worried that I need to post a sign on my butt that says "wide load" or something like that. I do not mind the feel of them - but when I look at myself I guess they make me look short and squatty with a overly thick hip/butt area. When it comes to dress pants I will wear wide leg, but jeans is bootcut. I just wish there were more cute options out there for my shape. It is similar to the situation with skirts too. No Pencil skirts :cry: