Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Bagels or doughnuts?

Replies

• neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Anything with a big hole in it - cuts down on calories! :)
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Doughnuts especially fresh made from a real doughnut shop. Are the best.
  • mydogisthebestdogever
    mydogisthebestdogever Posts: 703 Member
    Bagel with garlic herb cream cheese, smoked salmon, red onions,and capers!!!!
  • spence13e
    spence13e Posts: 9 Member
    Plain glazed Daylight Donuts = measly 166 calories, at least according to MFP, so I can have two.
  • Lynatea
    Lynatea Posts: 311 Member
    Croissants!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I had both today ;)
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 12,825 Member
    I posted this on the "are you still eating out" thread, but it bears repeating here because... BAGEL!

I want to keep my bagel shop open, so I ran out there as part of a careful trip to the post office and to fill up the truck with fuel.

Today was their pastrami bagel (cream cheese, pastrami, tomato, red onion, green onion) on a poppy seed bagel. I also got a firestick (jalapeno bagel dough but not round and rolled in cheddar before baking). Being I had just been out at the post office and the gas station, I got it to go. Bonus is I get to enjoy it with a cat on my lap!

08tuglyk5656.jpg
  • onward1
    onward1 Posts: 386 Member
    Bagel, always. Unless I'm in Maine, then it's got to be one from the "Holy Donut". I've planned whole vacations around that donut shop. And I don't even like donuts.
  • mtaratoot
    @onward1 -- So what's with Holy Donuts?

My bagel shop was happy to see me swing through yesterday for two to-go. I hope they can stay afloat until we're allowed to socialize again.

My office is so slow to respond to the crisis, I kind of wanted to take a dozen doughnuts in yesterday just as a protest. I guess I could have got a dozen bagels....
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Bagels ! Now I gotta go to the store for bagels... lots of bagels so no one else buys them up!
  • mtaratoot
    Get some for me!
  • ataleforthetimebeing
    ataleforthetimebeing Posts: 80 Member
    I love everything bagel with herbs and garlic cheese. Also sun-dried tomato bagel.
  • mtaratoot
    I cautiously went to the bagel shop yesterday. I got four bagels for my neighbors who needed them. For myself, I got their version of lox which is cream cheese, lox, tomato, red onion, green onion, and capers. I also got a bagel to go, and couldn't stop myself from a bag of assorted day-old bagels for later. I am pleased I didn't eat them ALL, but I got close.

Bonus of bringing it home is a proper plate instead of a wax paper square in a plastic basket.

m7dzrgxgxyzs.jpg

Neighbors were very glad to get a paper sack full of fresh bagels. G. went out early yesterday to the grocery. When she got home, S. asked if she got bread -- she didn't. So they were even better than they would have been, and they would have been good anyway.

After that, S. and I took boats (him in a sit-on-top kayak and me in a whitewater canoe) about a third mile to the boat ramp and paddled up the East channel to the old gravel pond and back. There were a few new obstacles, but we were able to make it all the way up and back. The fish didn't bother us ONE BIT. Maybe I'll take a tiny kayak out today, but first I have two more bagels to eat.
  • JoeyTheWanderer
    JoeyTheWanderer Posts: 224 Member
    Neither~ The average donut exceeds 300 calories and that's just your casual chocolate store bought. I've got no idea how many the ones with fillings got... I'd imagine it would approach the 500s.

Bagels~ Are healthier but not by much. A single bagel offers a whopping 245 calories. Note that's just a plain bagel with nothing on it. A tablespoon of cream cheese nets you another hundred for little nutritional value. I would rather have a slice of toast with a serving of peanut butter. About the same amount of calories but more balanced macros.

To compare my average protein drink with 2% milk taste better, offers 100x more nutritional value and sits around 200 calories. Throw a banana in their and I got me a nice little snack. 👍
  • mtaratoot
    @JoeyTheWanderer - neither your milk drink or your peanut butter sandwich satisfy the guidelines of the question. Neither has a hole in the middle. The question was bagel or doughnut. It wasn't bagel, doughnut, or some other option with a better nutritional profile.

I braved the wild world and got myself a bagel with lox. Of course they also put TOO MUCH cream cheese on the thing, and also tomatoes, onions, and capers. Totally delicious. Low calorie? Hell no; over 500 actually, and lots of sodium. But it fit in my allowance. At 22 grams of protein, that's close to ideal (from what I read, your body can't necessarily metabolize more than about 20 grams at a time). Pretty good for a treat.

Since it was a Sunday treat, and since we could all use a little tread these days, I served it with a glass of Oregon Pinot Noir. I called that a good lunch, so even more than just a treat.

sembj1tmut1r.jpg

I don't think a doughnut can offer all that. I can't keep peanut butter in the house or I'll binge on it. A weekly bagel is just perfect.
  • StargazerB
    StargazerB Posts: 425 Member
    I can't choose on this one, I love them both. A pumpernickel bagel with cream cheese and lox is so delicious. And a doughnut will definitely hit my craving for a sweet treat.
  • mtaratoot
    I decided to go for the smoked albacore this week.

fnnii08vkllz.jpg

I wore a different hat and a face mask. They didn't recognize me at first. One of the people didn't recognize me at all until I spoke to him and he recognized my voice.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    That sounds and looks VERY good.
    Was it!
  • mtaratoot
    That sounds and looks VERY good.
    Was it!

Yes, and....

It was delicious. I had lox last week, and I was thinking I might do pastrami this week. I missed a week or two before that. Last week I saw they had smoked albacore. It comes from someone who has a booth at the farmers' market that is in the blocks right in front of the bagel shop. But last week I had my heart set on getting lox. It was great. This week I was going to flip a coin but just decided to go for the albacore. I think I would have been happier with lox again because.... lox! Of course it's a little more expensive. The albacore is the same price as pastrami.

It was almost half my daily calories in one fantastic small plate. I will probably do it again next week. A couple doughnuts wouldn't have been nearly as good. Not even apple cider doughnuts.

<ducks out of the way>
  • mtaratoot
    I went for the pastrami the yesterday.

3fylz259bjso.jpg
    lcjnqn3glk76.jpg

And in a moment of weakness, brought home a bag of assorted day-olds. Mmmmm.