Hypothyroidism and discouraged

Good afternoon everyone, I am at my wits end. I do not understand what I am doing so wrong. I am very active, I run at least 4 miles a day and often run up to 15 miles a day. I am always training for a marathon. I also have an active job and on my days off work, I mix it up and do weights and different cardio workouts. I have hypothyroidism so I know my workouts are not as effective as someone without the condition, but that's why I remain active, to help combat that. I eat very healthy and do intermittent fasting. I typically stay around 1200 calories a day and 1400 on days I workout. I cannot lose any weight.. in fact, I just keep gaining!! Its not because of too low calories because I gain weight even faster with more calories and I'm not starving. What are my other options. I'm just looking for help or support on things others have done that have helped. I'm so discouraged and depressed. I think my medication could be increased, but I cannot talk my doctor into doing it.

Replies

• purplebobkat
    purplebobkat Posts: 68 Member
    Thyroid is a nightmare to get treated properly in the UK, as the TSH threshold is not right for everyone.

Can I ask what meds your on & what your TSH levels were at your last test??

I found I had to cajole & beg my Dr to up my dose. But it really helped when I finally got it upped.

Have a look at hypothyroid symptoms & see if you still have any on the meds (e.g tired, depressed, sleeping late, cold etc), this can help with the Dr.

Good luck!!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    autumjo14 wrote: »
    Good afternoon everyone, I am at my wits end. I do not understand what I am doing so wrong. I am very active, I run at least 4 miles a day and often run up to 15 miles a day. I am always training for a marathon. I also have an active job and on my days off work, I mix it up and do weights and different cardio workouts. I have hypothyroidism so I know my workouts are not as effective as someone without the condition, but that's why I remain active, to help combat that. I eat very healthy and do intermittent fasting. I typically stay around 1200 calories a day and 1400 on days I workout. I cannot lose any weight.. in fact, I just keep gaining!! Its not because of too low calories because I gain weight even faster with more calories and I'm not starving. What are my other options. I'm just looking for help or support on things others have done that have helped. I'm so discouraged and depressed. I think my medication could be increased, but I cannot talk my doctor into doing it.

How much weight do you need to lose?
    How long have you been following your current plan?
    How consistent is your logging? Do you use a food scale? Do you double check the numbers in the database entries you are choosing?
    Is your thyroid condition well controlled with medication?
  • autumjo14
    autumjo14 Posts: 8 Member
    Thyroid is a nightmare to get treated properly in the UK, as the TSH threshold is not right for everyone.

I found I had to cajole & beg my Dr to up my dose. But it really helped when I finally got it upped.

Have a look at hypothyroid symptoms & see if you still have any on the meds (e.g tired, depressed, sleeping late, cold etc), this can help with the Dr.

Good luck!!

I am on Synthyroid and my previous TSH levels are as follows from August 2019:
    TSH: 1.670 mIU/L
    t3 free: 3.22 pg/mL
    t4 free: 1.20 ng/dL

I am 5'1" at 125 pounds and I would just feel comfortable at 118 for my height. I have been on a diet and logging every morsel in my mouth for a year..
  • artanis50
    artanis50 Posts: 96 Member
    Time to find a new doctor. If you're still having symptoms of hypothyroidism, your medication may need to be adjusted. I've had hypothyroidism for almost 30 years. After I had my son, my normal levothyroxine dosage just no longer worked for me. I'm finally seeing one of the top endocrinologists in my area and he just changed my medication. You need to find a provider who will listen to you and treat your symptoms, not your lab values. Good luck.
  • Kathryn247
    Kathryn247 Posts: 570 Member
    At your stats weight loss will be slow and your margin for error is very small..

To repeat a couple of Kimny's questions, Do you use a food scale? Do you double check the numbers in the database entries you are choosing?

You may be eating more calories than you think. It's a very common problem that's very easy to fix (with a food scale).
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited January 2020
    autumjo14 wrote: »

Good luck!!

I am on Synthyroid and my previous TSH levels are as follows from August 2019:
    TSH: 1.670 mIU/L
    t3 free: 3.22 pg/mL
    t4 free: 1.20 ng/dL

I am 5'1" at 125 pounds and I would just feel comfortable at 118 for my height. I have been on a diet and logging every morsel in my mouth for a year..

With that little to lose, already at a healthy weight, you will be losing weight super slow. You need to be super precise and understand that even if you do everything 100% perfect, you may only see the scale move once every couple of weeks or even once a month (that's how my last 10 lbs came off).

Get a food scale and weigh everything you possibly can. Double check the entries you are using in the database are correct - most are user entered and many are wrong. Avoid "generic" entries and recipe style entries (like one cup macaroni and cheese).

If your thyroid condition is still not well controlled, that probably needs to be straightened out to make losing those last few lbs possible.

These threads might help too:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10634517/you-dont-use-a-food-scale/p1

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10662287/the-goal-is-the-process/p1
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    What manner of hypothyroidism were you diagnosed with?

Your panel is pretty much ideal. How do you feel beyond the frustration? Any tiredness or lack of recovery time?

Check this thread out:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10767046/hypothyroidism-and-weight-management/p1
  • blackkitty73
    blackkitty73 Posts: 29 Member
    I have Hashimotos Thyroiditis (autoimmune) and am in the same boat. My TSH shot up to 11 on my last blood test (ideally should be between 1-2) so I’ve had my dosage increased which has brought it back down. I was on WW and started gaining weight and feeling crappy. I’ve also got anemia. Make sure you are also being tested for iron, folate, vitamin D and vitamin b12. I’ve just found out B12 is borderline deficient. This effects red blood cell production and can cause anemia. So symptoms keep hitting you hard.
    I will be tested for pernicious anemia next blood test.
    I’m taking oral tablets for vitamin B at the moment.

So I feel for you absolutely. It’s challenging.