Grosssss, MFP!

Options

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    Google chooses these ads. And their algorithm knows you better than you know yourself. So make of that what you will.

Nope. I’m defo not a man. I’ve checked!

You can see here if it thinks you're a man or you're just getting ads based on shared interests. It's fascinating. Google thinks I'm an employer in a large organization, which is funny because I'm self employed, and there are a few other misses there, but some of the other interests are spot on:

https://adssettings.google.com/
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    I'm getting just about every hotel chain banner ad possible (Hilton, Bonvoy, etc), and investment firms. My search history must be boring AF.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    I got the earwax ad on two different websites. I have to wonder what in my search history or interests would make Google think that was appropriate.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    I've currently got United and Purdue. Guess they think I need a vacation and more education.

Education ... or chicken? Oh, wait, I've got the Purdue Global University ad too. And LinkedIn. And Carnival Cruises. So I need a vacation, education, and more business networking?
  • lynn_glenmont
    Options
    You know. That might just be it. I’m also getting tons of ads for hearing aids. I wonder if my phone has overheard me talking about deaf family members. That never even occurred to me. After I told someone a parent is bedridden, I was immediately swamped with adult diaper ads. It’s freaking scary.

As a matter of fact, as I’m typing this:
    1k9cs16riq89.jpeg

Going to look for my aluminum hat, right now!!!!!!

Do you use google mail? Do you every discuss you deaf or bedridden family members in email? Or in instant messaging? I'm pretty paranoid, but I think it's more likely you're being targeted for ads through something you've written in a communication than from your phone listening to your conversations.
  • lynn_glenmont
    Options
    Google, you don't know me at all. I'm neither in the market for a car (Toyota) or a mortgage (Lending Tree).
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,605 Member
    Options
    That's new! I could have sworn I wrote another post in this thread... nowhere to be found?!?
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,843 Member
    Options
    That ad with the big glob of wax and dirt being pulled out of someone’s ear? Does MFP vet these ads? Or is this a subtle plot to make sure I lose my appetite for the rest of the day?

Gag!!!!

It's your choice to get ads like that ... nothing to do with MFP!

I get a lot of ads for shoes.

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Google, you don't know me at all. I'm neither in the market for a car (Toyota) or a mortgage (Lending Tree).

I got LendingTree today too, as well as H&R Block, Wayfair, and my favorite, an amazon ad for "HumpFat," which seems to be a camel-based fat (in which I am not interested).

I have used Wayfair, and I will eventually do my taxes, although not using H&R Block, so I'll call that a 33% success ratio.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Today I have “color by number to reduce stress” and Avocado ads. Both seem Germaine to my interests.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Today I have this. It's funny how the AI combined what google thinks I'm interested in. It thinks I'm an owner of a company (wrong) and that I like games (right). This is what it came up with:
    gqfuc717me9j.png

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Oh, great, now I'm getting "stop underarm sweat now." ;-)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I’m a runner so the algorithms probably pick up on my posts about running. Most of the advertisements I get are for running shoes, arch support insets and the like. What the technology fails to grasp is that I’m actually a barefoot runner! :D:D:D it’s hilarious because I have absolutely no intention of buying any of that stuff! :D:D:D

This is a hilarious example of targeted ad failure!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    For the most part, I do a good job of employing methods to prevent ad exposure, but Michael Bloomberg has managed to creep into a few spots, perhaps the MapMyFitness app?
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,738 Member
    Options
    Several years ago, an American friend who lives in Berlin and I (Deep South) got irritated by the ads Facebook was throwing at us so we decided to have a contest to see who could get the worst ad in our feed.

We both went in and put the craziest stuff we could think of under our interests and so on.

We were having a blast giggling over the ads, forwarding one another screen shots, til one day she messaged me in a panic and said she was getting invitations to join the Nazi party.

At that point we both closed our FB accounts and now use nom de plumes on FB.

I always wonder about that deactivated, orphaned account out there that liked Nine Inch Nails and had....um......50 Shades of Grey proclivities. I should’ve gotten creativity points, if nothing else.

How can anyone do that without getting their account shut down with the demand that they use their real name?
    I had added a jokey name to my first name and used that, and I got locked out. FB demanded that I submit a government ID and use my real name "people get to know you so much better when you use your real name" (imagine cloying voice). My husband does not want his last name on FB so I had to create a whole new account with my maiden name.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,986 Member
    Options
    if Facebook thinks it is a real name they allow it.

When I didnt want to join FB but just wanted to be part of a group I made an account in my dogs name. Just made it into a human-y seeming name and it was accepted.
    eg Ollie Boy (as made up example)

( I didnt want to get to know people so not being able to do that was a moot point)