Grosssss, MFP!

Options

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I know a few people who have FB accounts for their dog (dog name + their last name, photo of the dog), as well as one with a longtime account in the name of a literary character (again, it's pretty obvious).
  • cosmichvoyager
    cosmichvoyager Posts: 237 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    I was just posting about using ad blockers in this thread so I wonder if my comment will be approved.
  • cosmichvoyager
    cosmichvoyager Posts: 237 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    ok wow so the word A D B L O C K E R P L U S (without spaces) is flagged on here, I just tried to post it again and comment was flagged as needing to be approved. Good to know, if I disappear this is why <3 u all

Particularly interesting as the original poster in this thread is complaining about seeing an ad that is really gross and anytime I have had ads enabled randomly on MFP, half of them are for quack fad diets that definitely are a scam or fast food.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I don't see any ads. My life is boring I guess? haha
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    ok wow so the word A D B L O C K E R P L U S (without spaces) is flagged on here, I just tried to post it again and comment was flagged as needing to be approved. Good to know, if I disappear this is why <3 u all

Particularly interesting as the original poster in this thread is complaining about seeing an ad that is really gross and anytime I have had ads enabled randomly on MFP, half of them are for quack fad diets that definitely are a scam or fast food.

I have the same and MFP will never approve this little secret to get rid of the ads. ;)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    I get ones for cruises, cute summer dresses, and bootees.

I’ve now got a cruise booked for next year taking me to Barcelona and Venice, two cities I’ve wanted to visit forever.

(If you browse MFP Forum on your phone using the website- no ads!)

Cheers, h.

Same here about the cute dresses...cruises etc etc :smile:

You will LOVE Barcelona and ADORE Venicia :smile:

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,428 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Yeah, I know a few people who have FB accounts for their dog (dog name + their last name, photo of the dog), as well as one with a longtime account in the name of a literary character (again, it's pretty obvious).

Yep. Exactly this. The only reason I keep FB is because I run the neighborhood FB, newsletter and website. Once I can pawn that task off on somebody else, buh-bye FB.

Oh, and today’s lucky dip?

byfcebylv4yr.jpeg
  • wmweeza
    wmweeza Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    The ads shown to me are all clothing ads, it makes sense because I've replaced all my clothes this last year
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    I've been doing post-CES follow up research and my ads are now filled with drones, cute robots, rideable luggage, and automatic litterboxes.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,609 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Interesting about the blocker plus post. My post that I couldn't find was a link to one's Google ad sense ad settings as provided by Google for the management of what one sees from them and their partners
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Interesting about the blocker plus post. My post that I couldn't find was a link to one's Google ad sense ad settings as provided by Google for the management of what one sees from them and their partners

Interesting. My post for google ad settings is still there.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,609 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »

Interesting. My post for google ad settings is still there.

and my post was actually saying "further to @amusedmonkey 's link", you could also click... etc :smile: specifically because I found that setting by following your link initially.
  • CricketClover
    CricketClover Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Sorry to be the weirdo that brings a slightly older (is a week old?) thread back to life. I just saw this link at the bottom of my MFP main page. There is talk about the advertising.

w4vo5m2aqydr.png

Also, after posting the picture I see another link above the highlighted one that says AdChoices, will investigate that one now.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    I'm getting just about every hotel chain banner ad possible (Hilton, Bonvoy, etc), and investment firms. My search history must be boring AF.

Depends. What have you been doin' in all those hotel rooms, huh? :D
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Sorry to be the weirdo that brings a slightly older (is a week old?) thread back to life. I just saw this link at the bottom of my MFP main page. There is talk about the advertising.

w4vo5m2aqydr.png

Also, after posting the picture I see another link above the highlighted one that says AdChoices, will investigate that one now.

Those last two links do not appear for my account, you must be in the EU.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    At the moment I've got the Chicago Art Institute and an SUV ad, but consistently over this past week I've been getting tax-related ones, ads from a local high-rise, and lots and lots of ads for property in Florida. I was going to joke about the latter, but then it hit me -- I'm being targeted as an old. Sigh.

(Ugh, and also getting "pest defender" with lots of photos of mice partying it up in someone's kitchen.)
  • CricketClover
    CricketClover Posts: 388 Member
    Options

w4vo5m2aqydr.png

Those last two links do not appear for my account, you must be in the EU.

Nope, I'm in US. Maybe a premium feature?
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    Anything I search for on Amazon automatically starts popping up in my ads on FaceBook. ALWAYS! So those two are either connected, or I'm not as good at eliminating the 'cookies' on my PC as I thought I was.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Apparently, I need a cruise.

I'm okay with that. ;)