Do you trust Pizza Hut?

Options

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    So just had pizza for dinner, and I actually weighed my pizza before eating it. I had 2 slices (one regular size, one small) that weighed 93 grams.

According to Pizza Hut, 100 grams of pepperoni Pizza is 190 calories.

So my 2 slices were only 176 calories??

Would you believe that?

For the record, one slice is supposed to be 72 grams, and the small slice I was was the typical tiny slice. So I'd believe that the weights are the cooked weight.

ETA this is where I got the nutrition information. We are talking about a pepperoni pan pizza. Maybe I read it wrong?

https://www.pizzahut.co.nz/nutritional-content

I'm in NZ. I've logged 2 slices at 183 calories per slice. Cause rather guess over than under

What is the source of your "according to Pizza Hut" information?

On their website (in the U.S.), the nutritional information is per slice, but if you click on "more info" you get a pop-up that includes the weight of a slice, and I've looked at a half dozen or so, and 100 g of various types of pepperoni pizza (different crusts) range from about 210 kcal to 240 kcal, and if you get the pepperoni lovers, it's more like 280 kcal per 100 g.

This is the site pizzahut.com took me to when I click on full menu nutrition.

These numbers align with those that show up for Pizza Hut and other brands of pepperoni pizza on the USDA nutrition site.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    So just had pizza for dinner, and I actually weighed my pizza before eating it. I had 2 slices (one regular size, one small) that weighed 93 grams.

Would you believe that?

For the record, one slice is supposed to be 72 grams, and the small slice I was was the typical tiny slice. So I'd believe that the weights are the cooked weight.

ETA this is where I got the nutrition information. We are talking about a pepperoni pan pizza. Maybe I read it wrong?

I'm in NZ. I've logged 2 slices at 183 calories per slice. Cause rather guess over than under

On their website (in the U.S.), the nutritional information is per slice, but if you click on "more info" you get a pop-up that includes the weight of a slice, and I've looked at a half dozen or so, and 100 g of various types of pepperoni pizza (different crusts) range from about 210 kcal to 240 kcal, and if you get the pepperoni lovers, it's more like 280 kcal per 100 g.

These numbers align with those that show up for Pizza Hut and other brands of pepperoni pizza on the USDA nutrition site.

I included the website with the information in my OP. I'm in NZ.

They provide info per slice and tell you the weight of each slice, and per 100g.

If the US data is 210 - 240 calories per 100g of pizza then my NZ equivalent of 190 calories probably is fairly accurate then given inevitable difference in ratios of topping vs base etc
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options

Would you believe that?

They provide info per slice and tell you the weight of each slice, and per 100g.

If the US data is 210 - 240 calories per 100g of pizza then my NZ equivalent of 190 calories probably is fairly accurate then given inevitable difference in ratios of topping vs base etc

I VPN'd into NZ to see your nutritional info and you're not lying, that's what the site says. I just... have a hard time believing it. Or that if it's true, that that's pizza. Less than 40 combined grams of fat, protein, and carbs? That means close to 60% water content. Is it basically tomato sauce, with a side of dough and cheese? The US numbers are 291 per 100g, which is a pretty sizeable difference. It's hard for me to imagine what 190 calories per 100g pizza tastes like.

ETA: The US Pizza hut site is saying 260 per 100g, not 290. But that's still a pretty big difference.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »

Would you believe that?

I VPN'd into NZ to see your nutritional info and you're not lying, that's what the site says. I just... have a hard time believing it. Or that if it's true, that that's pizza. Less than 40 combined grams of fat, protein, and carbs? That means close to 60% water content. Is it basically tomato sauce, with a side of dough and cheese? The US numbers are 291 per 100g, which is a pretty sizeable difference. It's hard for me to imagine what 190 calories per 100g pizza tastes like.

ETA: The US Pizza hut site is saying 260 per 100g, not 290. But that's still a pretty big difference.

The US portion sizes are extremely large compared to other countries. Just look at their soda sizes compared to ours. So it’s no shock that their portion sizes for pizza will be smaller than the US.
  • MikePTY
    Options
    jdhcm2006 wrote: »

Would you believe that?

The US portion sizes are extremely large compared to other countries. Just look at their soda sizes compared to ours. So it’s no shock that their portion sizes for pizza will be smaller than the US.

This is about 100g to 100g comparisons. Has nothing to do with portion size.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options

Would you believe that?

You’re right. I should have explained my thought process better. They’re changing the ratio of things to make it less calorie dense compared to the US counterpart. Plus, I wouldn’t be surprised if their pizza was less greasy as well. That’s what I was getting at about portion, portion of the ingredients. I should have worded that better.
  • Avidkeo
    Options

Would you believe that?

You’re right. I should have explained my thought process better. They’re changing the ratio of things to make it less calorie dense compared to the US counterpart. Plus, I wouldn’t be surprised if their pizza was less greasy as well. That’s what I was getting at about portion, portion of the ingredients. I should have worded that better.

Never been to the stated so can't comment there but while our pizza is greasy (it's pizza) it certainly isn't that bad. I would hazard a guess that our sauce/cheese ratio is greater. Also the amount of pepperoni is ridiculous, like about a dozen slices for an 11" pizza...
  • Avidkeo
    edited January 2020
    Options
    uybtltnk4bwb.jpg

Not sure if you can tell anything on this, this was a cheese and ham pizza (had it a few weeks ago)
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options

Would you believe that?

Unless it's a big pile of tomato sauce with a few croutons, some grated cheese, and a single wafer thin slice of pepperoni ... I'm not seeing it. It's still 100 g of something, and all the components of a pepperoni pizza other than tomato sauce (i.e., bread base, cheese, and pepperoni) are substantially more than 190 calories per 100 g.

In the U.S., tomato sauce might account for 10% to 15% of the weight of a pizza, if they're fairly heavy handed (by U.S. standards). The match does not work to pull the calories down unless there's a whole lot more tomato sauce on a New Zealand pizza. Or they're putting some other heavy but low-calorie ingredient on it.

I find the 100 g slices suspicious -- just a weirdly even number for a slice to happen to come out to. What is the diameter (or length and width if rectangular) of this pizza? How many slices is is cut into? Would you describe the crust as thin and crispy, hand-tossed, or pan?
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options

Would you believe that?

Unless it's a big pile of tomato sauce with a few croutons, some grated cheese, and a single wafer thin slice of pepperoni ... I'm not seeing it. It's still 100 g of something, and all the components of a pepperoni pizza other than tomato sauce (i.e., bread base, cheese, and pepperoni) are substantially more than 190 calories per 100 g.

In the U.S., tomato sauce might account for 10% to 15% of the weight of a pizza, if they're fairly heavy handed (by U.S. standards). The match does not work to pull the calories down unless there's a whole lot more tomato sauce on a New Zealand pizza. Or they're putting some other heavy but low-calorie ingredient on it.

I find the 100 g slices suspicious -- just a weirdly even number for a slice to happen to come out to. What is the diameter (or length and width if rectangular) of this pizza? How many slices is is cut into? Would you describe the crust as thin and crispy, hand-tossed, or pan?

1) Croutons on pizza? WTH?? Like the little bits of oily crunchy herbed bread? On a pizza?? But, this pizza is literally sauce, cheese, and an estimated 12 thin slices of pepperoni (as per OP, in a subsequent post), large is (I think) 11";

2) The slices are NOT 100g, as very clearly stated in previous posts. New Zealand nutritional information is given as both 'per serve' (in this case 1 slice, and they give the average weight of a perfectly cut slice - 72g), and per 100g.

I may have to retract my previous statement about trusting the nutritional info though. Having just looked at it again, the loaded pepperoni pizza (which is double pepperoni and cheese, and possibly more akin to what those in the US are used to) is somehow magically slightly fewer calories than the standard pepperoni. I also don't buy that there can be only a 5 calorie difference between a slice of large and extra large. This article from Consumer NZ has Pizza Hut pepperoni at way higher cals, it's a couple of years old and predates the latest version of the nutritional info on Pizza Hut's website: https://www.consumer.org.nz/articles/pizzas
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

Would you believe that?

they're not 100 gram slices, just nutrition per 100 grams (that's a standard number to use). The picture of that pizza looks pretty close to what Pizza Hutt serves here. It does feel like it has more moisture than other pizza places, but it's still a bit weird. I thought if I at least get the bread out of the equation since it's usually a known number we may be able to estimate how many calories would be left for all the toppings. My only issue the tomato sauce moisture soaked into the bread, so I'm still unsure how to do it.
  • Avidkeo
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

Would you believe that?

1) Croutons on pizza? WTH?? Like the little bits of oily crunchy herbed bread? On a pizza?? But, this pizza is literally sauce, cheese, and an estimated 12 thin slices of pepperoni (as per OP, in a subsequent post), large is (I think) 11";

2) The slices are NOT 100g, as very clearly stated in previous posts. New Zealand nutritional information is given as both 'per serve' (in this case 1 slice, and they give the average weight of a perfectly cut slice - 72g), and per 100g.

I may have to retract my previous statement about trusting the nutritional info though. Having just looked at it again, the loaded pepperoni pizza (which is double pepperoni and cheese, and possibly more akin to what those in the US are used to) is somehow magically slightly fewer calories than the standard pepperoni. I also don't buy that there can be only a 5 calorie difference between a slice of large and extra large. This article from Consumer NZ has Pizza Hut pepperoni at way higher cals, it's a couple of years old and predates the latest version of the nutritional info on Pizza Hut's website: https://www.consumer.org.nz/articles/pizzas

Yeah it's really odd right! Like I hesitate because our laws are usually pretty strict on advertising, and nutritional advertising, but it just doesn't seem right at all to be that low.

I figured if I base it on the databases 199 calories per slice, so that's around 220 per 100 grams. If I log it over, then sweet as. Rather estimate too much than not enough.

If I have pizza this week, I'm totally gonna weigh the toppings and base. Purely for science.

Hmmm wonder if Fair Go would be interested in this haha
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,596 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    https://www.madewithnestle.ca/delissio/delissio-pizzeria-vintage-pepperoni

Points that the 2.4 Cal per gram range is not too far out for pepperoni pizza!

Having said that I am often surprised how... not terrible 1 or 2 slices of pizza are. And how terrible 6 to 8 slices may be ;-)
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    I have never seen a pepperoni pizza at less than 2 calories per gram, so I don't know. Could they have confused 100 g with the typical slice size (which is usually 70 grams - 72 grams in your case)? Pepperoni pizza is usually closer to 250-280 calories per 100g, so a 72 gram slice would be very close to the mentioned 190 calories.

I would hazard a guess that perhaps NZ Pizza Hut pizzas are less calorific than their US counterparts? The website's nutritional info has cals by both serve/slice, and per 100g (cos that's how we roll here at the bottom of the world).

It's just that pita bread alone (the closest bread to pizza dough) is about 275 calories per 100 gram, so if we assume 30 something grams of bread per slice that only leaves 100 calories for toppings. I suppose it could work if you only use 10 grams of pepperoni (50 calories). Okay, now I'm curious. Next time I buy a pizza it will be an 11 inch and I will ruin a slice by scraping off the toppings and weighing them lol. I don't live in the US but I log a generic entry, so maybe my pizza is lower in calories too!

No idea why people are disagreeing, though I wonder at the size of your Pita bread to get 275 calories!!. Most of ours are around 140 calories for a 45g piece. I gave you a like, mostly because I want to know what the base v topping weight ratio is! And it will be a while before we have pizza again (she says typing this sitting in McDonald's... I only had a burger and a latte, well within my calories haha. Kids are burning off their lunch on the playground)

I was assuming that amusedmonkey was stating the calories per 100g, not that pita is typically 100g where they live. That said, at 275 calories per 100g, that's fewer calories per gram than the pita you mentioned. Amusingly I was just thinking to myself that I haven't made pita in a while.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »
    I have never seen a pepperoni pizza at less than 2 calories per gram, so I don't know. Could they have confused 100 g with the typical slice size (which is usually 70 grams - 72 grams in your case)? Pepperoni pizza is usually closer to 250-280 calories per 100g, so a 72 gram slice would be very close to the mentioned 190 calories.

I would hazard a guess that perhaps NZ Pizza Hut pizzas are less calorific than their US counterparts? The website's nutritional info has cals by both serve/slice, and per 100g (cos that's how we roll here at the bottom of the world).

It's just that pita bread alone (the closest bread to pizza dough) is about 275 calories per 100 gram, so if we assume 30 something grams of bread per slice that only leaves 100 calories for toppings. I suppose it could work if you only use 10 grams of pepperoni (50 calories). Okay, now I'm curious. Next time I buy a pizza it will be an 11 inch and I will ruin a slice by scraping off the toppings and weighing them lol. I don't live in the US but I log a generic entry, so maybe my pizza is lower in calories too!

No idea why people are disagreeing, though I wonder at the size of your Pita bread to get 275 calories!!. Most of ours are around 140 calories for a 45g piece. I gave you a like, mostly because I want to know what the base v topping weight ratio is! And it will be a while before we have pizza again (she says typing this sitting in McDonald's... I only had a burger and a latte, well within my calories haha. Kids are burning off their lunch on the playground)

I was assuming that amusedmonkey was stating the calories per 100g, not that pita is typically 100g where they live. That said, at 275 calories per 100g, that's fewer calories per gram than the pita you mentioned. Amusingly I was just thinking to myself that I haven't made pita in a while.

Yeah, I used calories per 100, but pita does come in ~100 here depending on the size. Smallest is about 45 grams (very thin) and largest, while not exactly pita, more like flatbread, is about 250 grams (pretty similar to pizza crust in texture and size now that I think of it). The average size is about 70-90 grams per pita (white bread is lighter for the same size). Here "bread" means pita. That's what we eat daily. If we're buying any other type there are usually added descriptors (like loaf bread, bun, toast bread, French bread...etc).

Edit: I use the generic entry in USDA database. Ours doesn't come with a label since we don't buy bread pre-packed. They're usually sold hot right out of the oven at a bread bakery.
  • Priasmama416
    Priasmama416 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I think the local mom and pop pizzerias are better, the ingredients are fresh made. Pizza hut has a lot of frozen pre- made ingredients, including the dough. That means there's a lot of added preservatives and other things we may not be aware of. They also put a lot of oil in the the pans underneath the dough at pizza before cooking it, vs the local place which uses a screen or puts it directly in the oven , with no extra oil.
  • Avidkeo
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    PAV8888 wrote: »

Having said that I am often surprised how... not terrible 1 or 2 slices of pizza are. And how terrible 6 to 8 slices may be ;-)

It’s always amazing to me how demonized pizza js on here. Not only are the calories manageable if you limit to a couple slices, it can have a decent distribution of macros as well, depending on toppings.

I agree. I think the problem with pizza is the same problem as any other food is portion control. Not many have just 2 slices. Many will have half or even a whole pizza.

Chocolate is fine, if you have 2 piece. Have half the block and that's your calories doe the day
  • MikePTY
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    PAV8888 wrote: »

It’s always amazing to me how demonized pizza js on here. Not only are the calories manageable if you limit to a couple slices, it can have a decent distribution of macros as well, depending on toppings.

I agree. I think the problem with pizza is the same problem as any other food is portion control. Not many have just 2 slices. Many will have half or even a whole pizza.

Chocolate is fine, if you have 2 piece. Have half the block and that's your calories doe the day

That's me with pizza. It's rare that I have it and I don't do at least 2000 calories in just pizza when I have it.