Taking longer than expected

Replies

• rodnichols69
    rodnichols69 Posts: 83 Member
    mikebxb wrote: »
    thanks all for the tips and encouragement. I weigh and log everything. Target 2000 Cal, 125 Carb, 56 Fat g's, 250 Protein (2,300 Sodium, 56 Sugar. - I don't concern myself too much with Salt and sugar as I add little to none to my food. I dont usually exceed the Cals so I focus on Carbs and Fat. Dr says don't exceed 45 carbs / meal if I expect to lose weight... I readjusted my goals for a little more Carb to allow for snack. 0v9bxhghtcun.png

Please keep in mind that the scale doesn't tell the whole story. If you are working out and eating right, you could be losing fat and gaining lean mass. Be sure to take measurements too.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,722 Member
    thanks all for the tips and encouragement. I weigh and log everything. Target 2000 Cal, 125 Carb, 56 Fat g's, 250 Protein (2,300 Sodium, 56 Sugar. - I don't concern myself too much with Salt and sugar as I add little to none to my food. I dont usually exceed the Cals so I focus on Carbs and Fat. Dr says don't exceed 45 carbs / meal if I expect to lose weight... I readjusted my goals for a little more Carb to allow for snack. 0v9bxhghtcun.png

Please keep in mind that the scale doesn't tell the whole story. If you are working out and eating right, you could be losing fat and gaining lean mass. Be sure to take measurements too.

Even for a guy, half a pound a week of muscle mass gain would be a really good result, and half a pound a week of fat loss would be about the slowest observable rate of weight loss (and observing it with certainty might take a month, given normal daily fluctuations of a few pounds +/-).

I do believe that some people, in some circumstances, can lose some fat while gaining some muscle, but it's not super common; and it's very, very likely that at least one of the two things (fat loss or muscle mass gain), if not both, will be very slow indeed.

I wish it were otherwise . . . . :)
  • rodnichols69
    rodnichols69 Posts: 83 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Even for a guy, half a pound a week of muscle mass gain would be a really good result, and half a pound a week of fat loss would be about the slowest observable rate of weight loss (and observing it with certainty might take a month, given normal daily fluctuations of a few pounds +/-).

I do believe that some people, in some circumstances, can lose some fat while gaining some muscle, but it's not super common; and it's very, very likely that at least one of the two things (fat loss or muscle mass gain), if not both, will be very slow indeed.

I wish it were otherwise . . . . :)

I agree if the person is fit and working out regularly. I've seen guys who've been out of the gym for a while, come back to lose and gain 2+ lbs. of muscle each week for 2-4 weeks, then drop to normal or flat muscle gains. Because of that, it's not uncommon for someone trying to lose weight to initially stay flat, then suddenly see exciting weight loss progress. I'm saying patient and give it a couple of weeks.
  • mikebxb
    mikebxb Posts: 138 Member
    edited January 2020
    Thanks again to all. FYI I'm 64 6' retired Cattle Rancher, Drummer and Law Enforcement. Point being I been skinny and active all my life. 33 waist til 46-7 34 waist til 55 yrs. and then a slow climb to 36" waist. I have been riding the couch too much. I've always ate what I wanted with impunity. But again at my age Nov the 5th last year I weighed in at 227lbs..So......I'm arresting the growth, making better food choices, eating smaller portions and educating myself on all this "diet" stuff. My goal is to change my eating habits to a healthier me moving forward so it's not just a temporary diet.
    1) target 185 lbs ( I may fall short and realistically settle for 190-195)
    2) Ditch this belly overhang and get back into a comfortable semi loose realistic 34-35" waist pant
    3) look and feel better

All of this is going to help blood pressure, stave off any potential type II diabetes in the future and rely less on cholesterol meds. It's all good. This is a good community for ideas, support, suggestions and education.
  • mikebxb
    edited January 2020
    today 211 lbs. Finally broke the 212 barrier. e698ejiikpsl.jpgiewg87gl2dlx.png

• mikebxb
    Glad I started this MFP when I did. Else I might have found myself in as bad a shape as Buddy352 and headed for more than just "one skid down" ;)B)
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,454 Member
    U Kuo ki CB
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,907 Member
    88olds wrote: »
    U Kuo ki CB

giphy.gif
  • mikebxb
    :D:D I know huh?
    U Kuo ki CB

giphy.gif

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,481 Member
    U Kuo ki CB

Was this after a Thursday night when your SO had been working away all week and you had a little too much wine with dinner out?

Just asking as I have had to ban myself from posting late Thursday for doing similar posts.

Cheers, h.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    U Kuo ki CB

No idea. None.

At my age, a bit scary.

Butt dial, let's just go with that :smiley:
  • mikebxb
    Shouldn't have eaten that half a bunless Whataburger late last night..;-)
    l1i0w3k5cn6t.jpg
    r2i11o0li7xf.png

• mikebxb
    Mu version of starving myself. i33duau3jspm.png
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member

Uh, that actually is starving yourself. Srsly dude, I eat more than that. You're not doing yourself any favours by trying to do this fast (which you've already been told).
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,722 Member

As a 5'5" 135 pound li'l ol' lady, these days I personally want 100g minimum protein, and 50g minimum fat, plus probably around 3-5 more servings of veggies/fruit than that, at least . . . .

Maybe that's just me? :grimace:

Please eat more.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

As a 5'5" 135 pound li'l ol' lady, these days I personally want 100g minimum protein, and 50g minimum fat, plus probably around 3-5 more servings of veggies/fruit than that, at least . . . .

Maybe that's just me? :grimace:

Please eat more.

No, no, 5'6" poundage undisclosed not *that* old me concurs. Easily doable on 1500 cals, even more so on the 2000 OP is meant to be eating.