Appeal: Please use serving size as grams

Options
Dear fellow MFPers,

I would like to appeal to you regarding the food database. Many people use serving sizes that are determined by the packaging (i.e. one piece, one box, half a mug, etc). This is very inaccurate, as the actual sizes vary.

I just put a pizza in the oven and weighted it at 374g. In the database, the only options (and there are 5 duplicates) are "1 pizza" and "1/2 pizza". The packaging says 768kcal per pizza, but the REAL amount is different. My weighted pizza has in fact 808 calories. The difference of 40kcal is huge, considering just how many inaccurate items there are in a daily diary. This stuff adds up! My fish fillets from last week ranged up to 20g plus or minus, altering the amount of calories quite a bit.

Please refer to the 100g measurement on the packaging, or whatever else is given (20g etc). ALSO, if something says "serving size" please look how much grams that actually refers to!

Yes I am aware I can add my own food, but all I do is clutter the database with a duplicate, just add a new measurement. I think MFP should make it easier to add different serving sizes (so that you can select both 1g or "1 pizza" from the drop down) but until then we as members have to keep it accurate for our own sake. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• CutiePieMarzipan
    CutiePieMarzipan Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I agree!!!! I mean, when I see 1 cup or half a cup, it drives me crazy! I don't know how big your cup is!
    Thank you for bringing this up!
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    This!
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure you can edit it and just edit that amount. Yes more work for you, but it'd be accurate in your diary.

Also, if you add your own food, and check off the spot that says something like "allow other members to use" just say No. Then you don't clutter the database and it's accurate for when you'd like to use it next time.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    I agree!!!! I mean, when I see 1 cup or half a cup, it drives me crazy! I don't know how big your cup is!

uh....a cup is a unit of measure. one cup = one cup.
  • younginaz
    younginaz Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    ummmm. I think a cup is 8 oz and a 1/2 cup is 4 oz.
  • faithdanyell
    faithdanyell Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    A cup is 8 ounces...
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options

1 cup is an actual measurement. I always assume that is what the measurement is referring to. 1 cup holds about 8 ounces of liquid measurement.

Please feel free to add the item you are eating to the database. You can add your pizza as grams and then the item is available to everyone else once you submit it. I add items to the database all the time with my foods listed how I like to eat them. This website is so flexible, you can customize it just for you!
  • epiphany29
    epiphany29 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I am on the opposite spectrum as you. I don't weigh out my food on a gram scale (sanity reasons for this). So if all the foods in the database were listed only by grams I wouldn't be able to calculate. I have to accept that different people prefer things different ways.
    I think restricting folks who are trying to do a good thing for themselves because it doesn't fit how you want to do that good thing for yourself is not the right answer.

Pip
  • clotho
    clotho Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    While this would be nice in theory, there are a lot of people who don't have a food scale. Without a food scale measurements in grams is impossible. Also, you need to realize that counting calories will always be inexact because humans are doing it.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    1 cup = .24 liters.
  • Juniper3411
    Juniper3411 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    That's why I typically overestimate my calories and underestimate my exercise so that hopefully all of the innacuracies even out in the end. Hopefully...

But yes, definitely frustrating that a lot of the database entries are likely innacurate :(
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure where you live but here in the U.S. a lot of food items are not given a gram serving size. Instead it could be in ounces, cups, etc. And I think you're being awfully anal weighing prepackaged foods.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

:laugh:

Also, if the package says 1 pizza it's one pizza. The weight will vary from package to package because it's impossible to make them all identical. Your pizza might weigh 285 oz and someone else's could weigh 240.
  • lindustum
    lindustum Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure you can edit it and just edit that amount. Yes more work for you, but it'd be accurate in your diary.

I am aware of that function, because I have to use it constantly. The database is there so calorie counting is easy, not a nuisance of sitting at my PC with packaging in my hand, typing everything in. No-one benefits from the "1 pizza" measure, that's my point. It is inaccurate, and to my knowledge there exists no inaccurate-calorie-count-diet for people to use.

Edit: Okay I have to revoke my assumption that MFP users rely on food scales- my apologies.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

I don't know where you're from, but I'm hoping that it's not a place in the world where 1 cup = 8 fl oz.

I also like to weigh my food . . . in ounces, which is a smaller unit for a pound. I renounce your grams.
  • anunley1
    anunley1 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    hmm - I am the opposite. I would much rather see things as 1 cup - I don't do grams...
  • JoanneTalerico
    JoanneTalerico Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    For Pete's sake, can't you just be happy that My Fitness Pal is available to us and is free? I am over the moon with this app and am happy that I have lost 45 lbs, despite the little difficulties.
  • themelmac
    themelmac Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I use the mobile apps where you can just scan the bar code and it simply populates the serving size and calorie amounts. Often the manufacturer will determine the calorie size as 1/2 cup, 1 cup, etc.
  • Pamela_in_Progress
    Pamela_in_Progress Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I don't own a scale yet and it drives me crazy when it says grams because I'm totally lost and have to end up making a new entry. Would much rather things be measured in cups whenever possible.
  • lindustum
    lindustum Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    For Pete's sake, can't you just be happy that My Fitness Pal is available to us and is free? I am over the moon with this app and am happy that I have lost 45 lbs, despite the little difficulties.
    I am happy, calm down.