Appeal: Please use serving size as grams

Options

Replies

• Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Sorry, rest of the world. We ain't switching to the metric system because AMERICA!
    RedneckTrike.jpg
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    If this thread continues, someone's head is going to explode from the science. *LOL*
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but I don't weigh my food so grams mean nothing to me. I prefer standard US cooking measurements so that's what I look for or add.
  • joe_d
    joe_d Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Grams or ounces is really the way to go for solid foods if you want accuracy (as others have noted, it matters not which--you can convert back and forth--28 grams per ounce).

But like all things, it's not as critical if the item in question isn't all that calorie dense or if you're working with a small quantity. I use a 1/2 cup measure for blueberries, for instance. I know the size of the berries determines how much of the cup is left as open space so it's not very accurate. But I don't worry much about it because there just aren't a lot of calories there in the first place. Now peanut butter, on the other hand, is something you probably want to be more precise with...
  • jnewell9
    jnewell9 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    While this would be nice in theory, there are a lot of people who don't have a food scale. Without a food scale measurements in grams is impossible. Also, you need to realize that counting calories will always be inexact because humans are doing it.

This!
  • lindustum
    lindustum Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I am calm, that's why I didn't use expletives. :flowerforyou:
    I guess I need to open more threads to gauge your happyness-swearing ratio :tongue:
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    ALL of THIS stuff is APPROXIMATE. If you need new measures, in-put your own...I do.
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options

Edit: Okay I have to revoke my assumption that MFP users rely on food scales- my apologies.

you'll notice that biggest complainers about how "This isn't working for me" are usually the ones who don't have food scales.

Coincidence?

I have a scale, but rarely use it. My system of mainly eyeballing and measuring in cups/tablespoons/whatever has worked for me, and I'd never complain that it has. To me, I can't be weighing every single thing I put into my mouth for the rest of my life, I'll get sick of it. But different strokes for different folks, I guess.
  • LuseLeaf
    LuseLeaf Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I prefer cups, tablespoons, pounds, etc. That's usually what's on the back of the packages, not grams, milligrams or whatever.
  • lindustum
    lindustum Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Or just stop being lazy and use the various online tools to do the conversions to the unit of measurement in your country yourself.

I don't live in the US, what is the the correct conversion from "pizza" into grams?
  • gonnamakeanewaccount
    gonnamakeanewaccount Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I agree!!!! I mean, when I see 1 cup or half a cup, it drives me crazy! I don't know how big your cup is!
    Thank you for bringing this up!

A cup is one measuring cup's worth. How hard is that to understand?
  • amyhoss
    amyhoss Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    ummmm. I think a cup is 8 oz and a 1/2 cup is 4 oz.

Well I just did a little experiment - I weighed a cup of flour (level) - it was 160g or 5 5/8 oz, and a cup of penne pasta (as level as poss) and that was 95g or 3 1/4 oz.

I'll stick with my scales.

really? that's like saying that gram of flour equals 1 litre of flour. This is just not a fact. 8 fluid ounces of flour does not equal 8 weighed ounces of flour.

I thought the same thing. Ounces in volume do not equal ounces in weight.
  • ThomasR099
    ThomasR099 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    a cup is a standard measurement. Grams aren't popular in most countries so I think you might have trouble converting people.
    You can always add your own foods to just your page.

they are in about every other country apart from the US and some other ex-british colonies:)

to stick with this discussion; i prefer the "pizza" measurement, or at least a representative suggested serving in whatever unit you prefer. ; simply because i don't carry scales or measuring cups around.
    Other than that; it's really not rocket science to do the conversion; maybe an idea for a new feature? Auto convert between g/l/oz/lbs anyone?
  • sealet
    sealet Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Grams aren't popular in most countries so I think you might have trouble converting people.

Actually, there are only three countries in the world that doesn't use the metric system: Liberia, Myanmar and the United States of America.

http://gizmodo.com/5786004/these-are-the-three-countries-who-dont-use-the-metric-system
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    a cup is a standard measurement. Grams aren't popular in most countries so I think you might have trouble converting people.
    You can always add your own foods to just your page.

Burma (Myanmar), Liberia and the United States are the only countries that do not use the metric system. I think grams are more popular than you think.
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    FYI: There's a really handy smartphone app called "UNITS" I use all the time. Very simple. Free. No joke, if you have a smartphone it's very handy to have.

Oo I will have to check this out!
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Grams and ounces are the most useful measurements for me. If it's a known food with a specific quantity, for example, "Starbucks Pumpkin Bread," the description is all OK.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I am calm, that's why I didn't use expletives. :flowerforyou:

I am calm and I use ****ing expletives all the time. :smokin:
  • yummy_
    yummy_ Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I agree!!!! I mean, when I see 1 cup or half a cup, it drives me crazy! I don't know how big your cup is!
    Thank you for bringing this up!

:laugh:

Also, if the package says 1 pizza it's one pizza. The weight will vary from package to package because it's impossible to make them all identical. Your pizza might weigh 285 oz and someone else's could weigh 240.

IN for 285oz of pizza!!!
  • pinkstp
    pinkstp Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    All this talk about pizza measurements is making me hungry, thanks MFPers :p

Additionally, I am now interested in calculating all my food by measurements of a pizza.
    Like - my bagel today is 0.33 pizza, my cream cheese must be like 0.0025 pizza. Mm. Pizza :)