peanut butter

Options
13»

Replies

• OhLeita
    OhLeita Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I love peanut butter on apples. I'd try eating just half an apple but then there's that other half that gets all brown and sad unless I put it in the juicer and then put it in the fridge, forget about it, and toss it out with a clear conscience.

Just sprinkle a little lemon juice on the apple slices. That will make them perfect for transport and prevent the oxidation (brown). Enjoy!

And there I'm left with most of a lemon that'll I'll juice and well, you know the rest. :wink:
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    An apple and 1 tbsp extra crunchy peanut butter is my usual snack in the afternoon. I eat half the apple before i dig into the peanut butter that way i don't go over the 1 tbsp.

Some things you just cannot substitute and peanut butter is it for me!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I keep hearing peanut butter is super healthy and has 'good calories' (whatever that means)

calories have nothing to do with whether or not something is healthy or good for you. A calorie is simply a unit of energy. There are any number of foods, including peanut butter, which are nutrient dense and also calorie dense...avocado is another great example...think also olive oil, etc.

Conversely, there are a lot of foods out there that are very low in calories...and also very low in nutrition.

Calories have nothing to do with nutrition value.
  • mattkdawson
    mattkdawson Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    i try to keep my 3 meals at 500 or less and that leave some wiggle room and room for a snack. if a serving of peanut butter is 200+ calories (and lets be honest, 2 tblspoons is barely anything) than it doesn't really make sense for me to eat it as a snack

Two tablespoons is A LOT! :huh:

this is two tablespoons https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS6FMhawD2Ks59VhA_KZPAS6uRSK4QGDNHp1Oyv0g3nc-wvTUop
  • owieprone
    owieprone Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Bacon

Bacon and peanut butter make the world go round!

not together tho, that's just wrong.
  • skalioa
    skalioa Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    An apple and 1 tbsp extra crunchy peanut butter is my usual snack in the afternoon. I eat half the apple before i dig into the peanut butter that way i don't go over the 1 tbsp.

Some things you just cannot substitute and peanut butter is it for me!

This is basically what I do... portion control.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I would never avoid peanut butter. It's heatlhy and delicious. I like to eat light throughout the day so I can have a big dinner so an apple and peanut butter is a nice lunch or snack. But I'm an old lady without many calories to spend. I would think as a man your meals should probably include more calories.
  • andiebaco
    andiebaco Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    i try to keep my 3 meals at 500 or less and that leave some wiggle room and room for a snack. if a serving of peanut butter is 200+ calories (and lets be honest, 2 tblspoons is barely anything) than it doesn't really make sense for me to eat it as a snack

Two tablespoons is A LOT! :huh:

this is two tablespoons https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS6FMhawD2Ks59VhA_KZPAS6uRSK4QGDNHp1Oyv0g3nc-wvTUop

I take that with a knife and nicely cover two small slices of bread and then cover them with half an apple or pear... Instant breakfast for around +350 calories and that fills me until lunch and that I love...

Obviously, if you try to put 1 cm layer of peanut butter on the bread.. well.. maybe if you try ONE bread instead of two but that would not be worth it...
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Theres an organic powdered peanut butter that only has 45 cals/serving. Great addition to shakes & what not, but it's a little pricey. If you want to have regular PB, just add a tablespoon of water to it and boom. Plain old PB.

Or you can put some powdered PB on bacon. Mmmm... pb and bacon.
  • caitypants86
    caitypants86 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I'll have 2 tbsp of Kraft natural peanut butter (usually smooth) with a medium-size honey crisp apple for a snack around 3pm. Honestly, it's one of the only food combinations I've tried that really satisfies me. It fills me up, satisfies my sweet tooth and gives me the brain power I need to get through the last two hours of work. I would never stop eating peanut butter - I don't see why I'd need to. No, 2 tablespoons of peanut butter isn't a whole lot, but remember our minds/eyes are bigger than our stomachs. :) A med honeycrisp apple w/ 2 tablespoons of natural PB is only 235 cals of healthy fats, natural sugar and protein! It's a perfect snack in my opinion...
  • sclaibo
    sclaibo Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Meijer makes a peanut butter called Meijer Naturals all natural peanut butter. It only has 1 ingredient: roasted peanuts. Only costs about $2.79 for a 16oz jar! Love it!!!
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    If you can reach your protein goal and be under your calorie goal and eat peanut butter then that's great. I love peanut butter and I do eat it but I eat PB2 more often because I like to glob it all over my toast and that would be a lot of calorie with peanut butter ;). This way, I can have my PB2 toast and then eat a bunch of nuts or cheese later lol :)