Gaining Muscle + Losing Fat - HELP!?

Eat under your caloric intake with clean fats and sat’s?? Is this all it is in a nutshell? Also do I need to increase my protein intake if I’m
Lifting heavy weight 5 days a week

Replies

• GattHF
    GattHF Posts: 1 Member
    You can’t gain muscle if you are in caloric deficit, calculate how much is BMR and eat more than that (caloric surplus) if you wanna build muscles, yes you will gain some fat but you can lose it late later after gaining those muscles
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    edited January 2020
    The only thing that matters as far as losing fat is concerned is to be in a caloric deficit. That means consuming fewer calories than you're burning. It doesn't matter where those calories come from, "clean" or "dirty". So the first thing to do is get a good estimate of how many calories you burn in a day, your total daily energy expenditure, or TDEE. There are calculators for this all over the Internet, just Google "TDEE calculator".

Once you have that, set up your calorie goal to be about 10-15% below the number you get. For example, if your TDEE is 2500 set your goal to 2125. Eat that many calories a day for a week, maybe two, and see if your weight is dropping. If not take another 10% off and try again. It's a trial and error process because all of this is an estimate. You have to find how your body uses calories. Everyone is different. Also, weigh your food. Don't rely on estimates. People are notoriously bad at estimating how much food they're eating.

If you want to build muscle while you lose fat understand that isn't the ideal way to build muscle. Ideally you'd be in a calorie surplus, eating more than you're burning. However you absolutely can build muscle and strength while in a calorie deficit as long as you're not very lean, sub 10% body fat for example, you eat sufficient protein, and you follow a well designed progressive lifting plan. Sufficient protein is roughly 0.8-1.0 grams of protein per pound of body weight per day. Weigh 200lbs? Then set your protein goal to be 200 grams of protein a day, for example.

Here's a thread with lots of weightlifting plans:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1