Craving = Binge?

Options
oceangirl99
oceangirl99 Posts: 161 Member
edited January 2020 in Health and Weight Loss
There is a HUGE difference between overeating and binging. I do both - but I can usually control just overeating. On another thread I just read some advice re. watching macros to help avoid cravings - I'm going to try this! Have any bingers out there (true bingers.... not "I went slightly over my calorie" people but people who uncontrollably eat everything in sight when they are not hungry and the food isn't even good had success with watching macros?
Personally I don't think a craving for a specific food necessarily leads to binging. For me, I have no idea what brings it on - hopefully it is as simple as macros but I suspect it is more of a disorder.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,960 Member
    Options
    I have trouble controlling sweets (sugary snack foods) and wheat in all it's many delicious forms. When I was in weight loss mode I cut back my carbs and stopped buying all the many foods I knew I'd over eat. That helped me a lot.

My designated split was 40%C 30%F and 30%P, of course I didn't usually hit that, but it was my goal.
  • paceycakes
    paceycakes Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have found cravings and binging due to eating food my body is allergic too and not dealing with my emotions go hand in hand. I made a choice to not use Sugar and Not eat simple carbs. Replacing that I eat more protein and healthy fats with complex carbs. I have seen a big change in how I think plus I have released 50 pounds.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    There is a HUGE difference between overeating and binging. I do both - but I can usually control just overeating. On another thread I just read some advice re. watching macros to help avoid cravings - I'm going to try this! Have any bingers out there (true bingers.... not "I went slightly over my calorie" people but people who uncontrollably eat everything in sight when they are not hungry and the food isn't even good had success with watching macros?
    Personally I don't think a craving for a specific food necessarily leads to binging. For me, I have no idea what brings it on - hopefully it is as simple as macros but I suspect it is more of a disorder.

I can binge for two reasons:
    1. Not eating enough protein - my brain gets confused and wants lots of snacky low protein foods, which do not solve the problem and so I can eat and eat and eat and never feel full. Upping protein definitely fixed this.
    2. Emotional reasons - protein does not help with this but wearing myself out with exercise does. I try to get in some exercise every day, and on increased stress days will increase the exercise duration and/or intensity.

If you have true Binge Eating Disorder you should probably seek professional help.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    I agree with you, OP, that cravings for some specific food are not necessarily binge triggers.

Protein and fat help me feel satisfied which lowers my interest in off budget snacks which helps me stick to my plan. Even when emotions whirl. So macros help. What helps even more is eating at an appropriate calorie level. Undereating for more than a couple days makes me a binge waiting to happen, regardless of macros. So it really pays to double check the math in determining the caloric deficit to undertake. For YEARS I would over-restrict after bingeing, and I’m here to say that never really ends well.

So for me, I would say macros help control overeating, but overall caloric intake is the key to minimizing binge risk. Hence, I lose with a small deficit (0.5 lb/wk) for no longer than 10 weeks then eat at maintenance a while. I hope you find strategies that work for you, OP.
  • healthykaitlin
    healthykaitlin Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I’m a binge eater. A lot of times, I don’t even know it’s going to happen until I’m already well into it. Like cookies, for instance... I could eat maybe 6 good sized cookies before realizing what I’ve done & then I tell myself I’m done, but ultimately just continue binging & tell myself I’ll get back on track tomorrow. It’s 100% emotional. I eat a lot and quickly when I’m upset or bored. It has nothing to do with hunger and I don’t think it has anything to do with macros. For me, the only thing that works is distraction... Listening to podcasts (especially motivational ones, could be for healthy lifestyles or finance or whatever), journaling, getting into habits like commenting on these threads, reading a good book, or (& especially) exercising all help. I’ve just started counting macros, which I guess will serve as a distraction & is helping me to better map out what I’m eating, so maybe it will help after all.. but I don’t think that for me it’s as simple as eating x grams of protein/fat/carbs to put an end to it... it’s all about getting myself into a healthier frame of mind