NOT LOSING WEIGHT!

Options
Hi. My names Tamara and I'm new (so be gentle). I've always been a big girl but weight keeps piling on and now I'm trying to do something about it In getting no where :(
I'm nearly 18 stone. I'm really active and do 9 Boogie Bounce classes a week as Im the trainee instructor but feel a bit of a fraud cause I'm not losing weight at all. I'm feeling more healthier and give it my all during classes but weight isnt budging on the scales. My shape has changed a bit but I have been doing this since August and I lose 2 lbs then it goes back on :(
I eat about 1600 calories a day and think I eat reasonably healthy considering how I used to eat.
What Am I doing wrong?
I'm meant to be going for the training down England and feel like they are going to laugh when they see the size of me.
Any help would be greatly appreciated as Im stuck :(

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Welcome Tamara.
    Well done on all those classes :-)
    How have you been tracking those 1600 calories? are you using a food scale to weigh? are you choosing the verified entries in the database? Are you being consistent at tracking?
    If your weight is going up and down 2lbs it means you are basically maintaining your weight. So that gives you insight that you need be be more accurate with your logging - when we eat less than we burn, we lose. It can take a number of weeks to see losses but by now you would have seen the trend was overall loss if you had been consistently in deficit.
    Perhaps you've been having the odd 'cheat' day? that could be enough to wipe out any calorie deficit.
  • 2bFit1959
    2bFit1959 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi Tamara,
    Don't give up!! See yourself at your desired weight and keep that though in your head. Are you drinking water?
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    The only thing that causes fat loss is a consistent calorie deficit. Exercise does not guarantee that you’re in a calorie deficit. Eating “healthy” is not relevant to fat loss. If you’re not losing weight in 5 months of trying, then you are not in a deficit.

You can guarantee you’re in a calorie deficit by weighing and logging ALL your food, hitting your MFP calorie goal each day without going over.

Since you said you eat “about” 1600 calories and didn’t mention weighing food, that implies your logging is not very accurate or consistent. The solution would be to get a food scale, use it consistently, and consistently hit your calorie goal.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Hi Tamara from a fellow Brit.
    Making your food diary public would enable people to spot common logging mistakes and give you guidance.

Read back your intro and see how much content is exercise focussed and how little is focussed on eating the right amount of food and the problem might jump out at you.

Exercise for health, body composition, fitness and fun - but it's a minor player for most people in the process of losing weight.
  • Tartan82
    Tartan82 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I never really thought about it that way but it totally makes sense. Thank you so much for that insight. That is a positive way to look at it and you are right, I'm going to be their Role Model 🥰🥰🥰🥰
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Others have given you good advice about the weight loss side of things.

I just want to add a perspective about the instructor role, as a bigger woman. I started assisting with our rowing club's learn to row classes when I was still obese (though an experienced rower). In some ways, I think I was more effective in helping some students on account of my size.

I found that if I would demonstrate something, and say encouraging things/give tips, the students who were larger, older, a little less coordinated, or had some other physical issue they were concerned about would sometimes be more receptive to me than to the thin, fit-looking people who were instructing. I think it was a psychological thing, kind of "if she can do it, I'll bet I can, too" from students who were more unconfident or hesitant.

I've since lost weight (you will, too), and kind of miss that part of it: The first time I assisted with classes as a thin person, it was a great shock to me to see that people were pretty much as skeptical of me as they were of the other thin, fit-looking experienced rowers.

So, eventually, you can lose the weight you want to, but in the mean time, consider whether some of your students may be inspired by you, and convinced that they can do the class, since you not only can do it, but are good enough at it to be an instructor. You can be a role model! :)

Same I'm currently around the same weight as OP, I started rowing in 2018, I have been training newer members for the last year or so and have never had any judgement from them on account of my size and definitely think the bolded applies. More recently I've just been recommended as the new chairperson of the club, so definitely don't think your weight is holding you back, only your confidence will do that :smile: