I tried a crazy recipe and I actually liked it.

Options
I tried the Egg Banana "Pancake" recipe. It's just a mashed banana with 2 beaten large eggs added. Oil or butter of choice on nonstick pan and you get these pancake like things. They aren't a typical pancake texture but I didn't hate it lol. I added cinnamon to my mix and used a little powered sugar. You can use syrup of choice though

Replies

• kpoe1981
    kpoe1981 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Forgot to add that depending on your oil or butter amount and size of banana it's all around 300 calories for about 3 pretty big size crepes
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    That is awesome.This is why I like trying recipes from various diets (keto, low carb, paleo, whole 30, etc..) as you will often find some really good recipes. My recent find is a deconstructed egg roll.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    Some of the iced banana things are good too, and though not ice cream, the bonus is you don't get all the calories from the fat in the cream.

Deconstructed egg roll could well move into veggie and possibly meat stir fry of sorts. Just take the rice out of fried rice, or the noodles out of pancit or such, and you would end up in a similar place. Are you still doing keto @psulemon? Seems like many of the Asian veggies would work.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    The banana recipe sound good, not because it would taste like pancakes at all, but because cooked bananas are delicious. I like trying recipes like this, I wish they wouldn't pretend to be things they are not.

But yeah, that could be my issue.

Anyway, would try.
  • robertw486
    Options

psuLemon wrote: »
    robertw486 wrote: »
    Some of the iced banana things are good too, and though not ice cream, the bonus is you don't get all the calories from the fat in the cream.

Deconstructed egg roll could well move into veggie and possibly meat stir fry of sorts. Just take the rice out of fried rice, or the noodles out of pancit or such, and you would end up in a similar place. Are you still doing keto @psulemon? Seems like many of the Asian veggies would work.

I took a week off while traveling and wasn't super strict during the holidays, but outside of that, I have been pretty consistent with it.

Here is my deconstructed egg roll

m1rrj0sph3wq.jpg

Looks pretty tasty to me. I'm about trying anything Asian, as I've always liked most of it.

lemurcat2 wrote: »
    The banana recipe sound good, not because it would taste like pancakes at all, but because cooked bananas are delicious. I like trying recipes like this, I wish they wouldn't pretend to be things they are not.

Anyway, would try.

Same here. I guess I would give a pass to pancakes, since potato pancakes are a thing, but with other foods it happens quite often.

Mashed icy banana's with some spice aren't ice cream, but they are good. Many non mean burger shaped things could be called a burger I guess, but they aren't a hamburger. And for the love of all things sacred, people should quit calling those non alcoholic attempts beer.... they just aren't!

• nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 2,000 Member
    Options

I took a week off while traveling and wasn't super strict during the holidays, but outside of that, I have been pretty consistent with it.

m1rrj0sph3wq.jpg

yum...is that thousand island dressing on top?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,922 Member
    Options

Anyway, would try.

I've made the Egg Banana "Pancake" recipe and liked it but my OH did not and called it a PINO (Pancake In Name Only.)
  • kshama2001
    Options
    That is awesome.This is why I like trying recipes from various diets (keto, low carb, paleo, whole 30, etc..) as you will often find some really good recipes. My recent find is a deconstructed egg roll.

@psuLemon would you please share the deconstructed egg roll recipe? Looks delish!
  • robertw486
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Anyway, would try.

I've made the Egg Banana "Pancake" recipe and liked it but my OH did not and called it a PINO (Pancake In Name Only.)

Now I want to try this and add shredded potato to some of them as well. If it tastes anything like I think it would I wouldn't care what we call them!
  • kshama2001
    Options

Anyway, would try.

Now I want to try this and add shredded potato to some of them as well. If it tastes anything like I think it would I wouldn't care what we call them!

Well, I like Egg Banana Pancakes, and I like Potato Pancakes, but I don't like the idea of a mashup, but do let us know how they come out!

I used to make sweet potato pancakes with cabbage and liked them a lot, but stopped because it was too much prep time and cleanup for work mornings. Maybe I will put them back in the rotation for Saturday AMs.
  • poisonesse
    poisonesse Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    @psuLemon Oh, thanks for posting that recipe, I love anything Asian that I can cook at home!

And I've tried those banana/egg pancakes. They don't taste horrible, they actually don't taste bad... but when I want a pancake, I want a PANCAKE, and they just don't do it for me. Texture is too off for me. Good thing I'm not doing keto! 😁
  • kshama2001
    Options

m1rrj0sph3wq.jpg

It's an aoli sauce. Recipe is below. I did modify mine a bit.

https://www.paleorunningmomma.com/paleo-egg-roll-in-a-bowl-with-chicken-whole30-keto/

@psulemon thanks! What's the deal with coconut aminos? Since I'm not on a special diet, could I just use soy sauce, or would that change the flavor profile?
  • lemurcat2
    Options

Anyway, would try.

Well, I like Egg Banana Pancakes, and I like Potato Pancakes, but I don't like the idea of a mashup, but do let us know how they come out!

I used to make sweet potato pancakes with cabbage and liked them a lot, but stopped because it was too much prep time and cleanup for work mornings. Maybe I will put them back in the rotation for Saturday AMs.

The banana ones seem like less work than a potato pancake (or a zucchini pancake, which I used to make).

I think the trick is not trying to sell them as a substitute for regular pancakes (which potato pancakes are not).

I love spaghetti squash with a sauce, but the sauces that taste best are different from a pasta, and they don't taste like pasta. I like black bean patties, but they don't taste like hamburgers and if I bit into one in a bun expecting a hamburger I'd be bummed. (Something tasting very different than expected can be off-putting.)

I would try different spices with the panfried banana patties, and I wouldn't serve them like pancakes (no syrup and probably no crushed raspberries or blueberries, which is my syrup alternative with a pancake (and I like the higher fiber whole grain Bob's Red Mill ones). I'd probably off-set the banana ones (which would be super sweet) with something less sweet. Spicy black beans on the side would be nice.
  • lemurcat2
    Options

m1rrj0sph3wq.jpg

https://www.paleorunningmomma.com/paleo-egg-roll-in-a-bowl-with-chicken-whole30-keto/

@psulemon thanks! What's the deal with coconut aminos? Since I'm not on a special diet, could I just use soy sauce, or would that change the flavor profile?

People doing paleo tend to avoid soy sauce (soy is a legume).

I tried coconut aminos and think they taste different (and I didn't like the coconut aminos as much, it tasted off to me, perhaps because I wanted it to taste like soy sauce), so personally I would use soy sauce.
  • kshama2001
    Options

m1rrj0sph3wq.jpg

I tried coconut aminos and think they taste different (and I didn't like the coconut aminos as much, it tasted off to me, perhaps because I wanted it to taste like soy sauce), so personally I would use soy sauce.

Thanks! I have plenty of soy sauce on hand.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options

m1rrj0sph3wq.jpg

Thanks! I have plenty of soy sauce on hand.

I just do soy sauce. They have the same carb count.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,267 Member
    Options

Anyway, would try.

In general, I don't get why naming inspires such controversy. If the food is tasty, who cares what it's called?

I understand the "truth in advertising" side, that (say) at a restaurant you don't want to order a pancake and surprisingly get a flour tortilla, even though both are round and grain-based.

But seems like there's so much fussing about whether a bean burger is a real burger, or soy noodles are pasta, or almond milk is milk. If we all know what actual substance is being described, why care so much what the name is? It's like being upset when one meets a blond named Susan, because all previous Susans met have been brunette.

Someone looking at a recipe called "pancake" where the ingredients are banana and egg, and expecting it to come out tasting like a standard flour-based pancake**, has more of a problem with common sense or imagination, than with naming, IMO.

(curmudgeon mode off ;) )

** OP didn't do that. This is just an unjustified rant about terminology. And I think fried banana-egg sounds good, whatever we call it.
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Anyway, would try.

In general, I don't get why naming inspires such controversy. If the food is tasty, who cares what it's called?

It's not so much the name, as selling things as a substitute that tastes like some other food. Usually it doesn't, and the false expectations create disappointment, as with kshama's SO.

I think, say, cauliflower rice (i.e., riced cauliflower) tastes great (I personally prefer cauliflower to rice taste-wise, since to me rice is pretty bland), and if one prefers that texture (I don't), then I think it's a great sub. Tell someone it tastes just like rice or "you can't tell the difference" if the person is a rice lover seems like a bad approach.

I don't care about the name so much as the expectation.

I'm also (obviously) not someone who complains about zucchini pancakes (which no one thinks will taste like flour-based pancakes) or almond milk or non wheat flour pasta or whatnot (unless the claim is the replaced product is for some reason to be avoided by anyone caring about health).

The "pancake" title here made it seem like it was being sold as a substitute (there are tons of recipes I've run across that are basically "missing X? here's a sub" that I would always tend to skip. This one wouldn't taste like a pancake but sounds good for other reasons, so I'd try it, but not with maple syrup or berries as this would be sweet and IMO a properly prepared flour pancake (or oatcake or cornmeal based pancake) is not. It would benefit from a savory and ideally spicy side IMO.