coconut oil, yay or nay?

Options

Replies

• ewartluft
    ewartluft Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I have to containers in my house- 1 I use as a body moisturizer after every shower which means it ends up in my hair as I'm styling it (pulling it back into a ponytail) and one I use for cooking and supplementation. I love it!
  • CMay16
    CMay16 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I love cooking/baking with it whenever possible and always count it. I absolutely loves cooking eggs with CO:tongue:
    But I need to start trying it for beauty routines. I've never heard the makeup remover one, going to give that a shot. Thanks!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I love it on my skin, and I hardly have to use any, so it lasts for ages.

I don't really like the taste of it, so I don't eat it, but if I did I would definitely be counting the calories. It doesn't matter how good for you something is, the calories still add up, and fat is the most calorie dense macro-nutrient.
  • TINAHUNTER1969
    TINAHUNTER1969 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Yay - I take the spoonful of coconut oil and add it to my food diary, its a 100 calories but I do feel better for taking it. Didn't have it all weekend and really felt the difference!
  • MissMollyMN
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone! I agree, doesn't matter what it is, a calorie is a calorie! I myself love the taste of it but the texture of a spoonful can make me gag sometimes ;)

I also have a separate container that I use for beauty regimens (lotion, makeup remover, oil pulls, etc.) I LOVE IT! I use it as chap stick sometimes too.
  • MermaidTX
    MermaidTX Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I love cooking/baking with it whenever possible and always count it. I absolutely loves cooking eggs with CO:tongue:
    But I need to start trying it for beauty routines. I've never heard the makeup remover one, going to give that a shot. Thanks!

My mom has a little jar with combo of CO & some baking soda to get a light scrubby feel. She uses that mixture to not only clean her face, but brushes her teeth with it (not the same jar tho).

edit: clarifying
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Who here takes coconut oil as a supplement? for a while I was taking a spoonful in the morning for health benefits.

It's a spoonful of pure fat. If it's logged and fits your overall plan, sure, if that's how you want to allocate your calories.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I take it and i don't count it.

Wait, why wouldn't it count? There's 130ish calories in a tablespoon. If you want to eat it for health benefits (or suggested ones), great, but make sure you log the calories. There's not point in tracking if you aren't tracking accurately.
  • Shesaid_destroy
    Options
    Totally YAY!
    i love it!
    It's easy to measure, it doesn't take much at all in a non stick pan to cook my fish.
    Then, i let just a little bit melt on the fish once it is cooked. I really love the taste! works fabulous with asian style tofu woks.
    YAY YAY YAY for Coco!

Edit : i suppose all woks are Asian, sorry for being redundant. YAY YAY YAY!
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Who here takes coconut oil as a supplement? for a while I was taking a spoonful in the morning for health benefits.

Those that do take it, do you count the calories as part of your daily allowance? I do.

I use it to cook with and yes I count the calories, even if I know I left a good chunk of it on the pan. I figure being a little over there makes up for when I'm guessing on the light side when I eat out.
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    I've been meaning to try it- will definitely count towards daily cals if I do.
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    YAAAAAAAAAY! It's amazing! It's the best on baked broccoli :)
  • madtownjeremy
    Options
    Definitely cook with it; if it's getting sauteed in my kitchen, it's getting sauteed in Coconut Oil.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Is extra virgin olive oil still the nectar of life or will that kill you now? Its so hard to keep track.
  • Mcmilligen
    Mcmilligen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I used to use coconut oil for everything.
    makeup remover
    hair conditioning treatment
    cooking oil
    raw desserts (hello raw chocolate!)

It made my skin break out, it was difficult to get over the greasiness of it in my hair, and eventually I was consuming too much fat (it was the reason for my weight-loss difficulties).

If it works for you- do it! I still eat my healthy fats, but I have to limit them to avocados, flax, hemp and nuts- as coconut oil was just too much of a hidden caloric beast for me to continue to use on a daily basis. It has its time and place, but I do not use it often anymore.

*ETA: grammatical error.
  • kiwijo95
    kiwijo95 Posts: 25
    Options
    I dont eat it, but its the only moisturiser I use (no parabens and other nasty additives). Its wonderful. :o)
  • marniesworld
    marniesworld Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Is extra virgin olive oil still the nectar of life or will that kill you now? Its so hard to keep track.

This made me laugh. :-)

I love coconut oil! I cook with it and put it in my smoothies/protein shakes as well. Also, a friend of mine writes a health and wellness blog and did this post, called "50 Uses for Coconut Oil".

http://thegrassskirtblog.com/2013/02/19/50-uses-for-coconut-oil/

I kind of want to try to see how many I can do!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the whole spoon fulls of coconut oil ****...that is just stupid to me. I cook with it often...but taking spoon fulls of oil just seems like stupefying a perfectly good thing.
  • MommyisFit
    MommyisFit Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Try it on popcorn instead of butter. Soooooooooooo much better than butter! YUM!
  • Blitz_40
    Blitz_40 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I take it & I count it on my diary.