coconut oil, yay or nay?

Options

Replies

• NostalgicMuse
    NostalgicMuse Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I add a half tbs to my protein shake. I include it in my count. Good fat.

My wife uses it when she makes a no sugar added banana bread.
    We use it when cooking fish too.
    I want that recipe!

I use it for baking, a spoonful now and again, moisturizer, personal lubricant, deep conditioner...etc.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    i smear it all over me when i tan, ha
  • NostalgicMuse
    NostalgicMuse Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    And I don't count it
  • VpinkLotus
    VpinkLotus Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I use it for cooking and I def count it. It's calorific
  • VpinkLotus
    VpinkLotus Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the whole spoon fulls of coconut oil ****...that is just stupid to me. I cook with it often...but taking spoon fulls of oil just seems like stupefying a perfectly good thing.

It has amazing health benefits when taken as a supplement. Obviously you don't want to overdo it but lots of people take just a tsp. a day. It's antifungal, antibactirial, and very healing.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the whole spoon fulls of coconut oil ****...that is just stupid to me. I cook with it often...but taking spoon fulls of oil just seems like stupefying a perfectly good thing.

It has amazing health benefits when taken as a supplement. Obviously you don't want to overdo it but lots of people take just a tsp. a day. It's antifungal, antibactirial, and very healing.

There is no difference between taking it as a supplement by the spoon full...or just using that same spoonful to saute some veggies. My point is why take spoon fulls of oil...just cook with it...that's what your'e supposed to do. Taking a spoonful is the same as taking a spoonful of butter or olive oil...it's thoroughly more enjoyable if you actually cook something with it.
  • madtownjeremy
    Options
    Try it on popcorn instead of butter. Soooooooooooo much better than butter! YUM!

Oh and I cook stovetop popcorn with it as well. Since it has such a high smoking point it gets hot enough to pop corn without burning it. I haven't had a burnt kernel in a year...so there's that. :)
  • djthom2
    djthom2 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I cook with it and use it to make chocolates. I also like to keep a jar of coconut oil mixed with raw sugar that I use a hand and body scrub. The smell is delicious!
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I love coconut oil. Use it for cooking, for my hair and skin as well.

Of course I count it, the thing is 130cals per tbsp ;)
  • marniesworld
    marniesworld Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    There is no difference between taking it as a supplement by the spoon full...or just using that same spoonful to saute some veggies. My point is why take spoon fulls of oil...just cook with it...that's what your'e supposed to do. Taking a spoonful is the same as taking a spoonful of butter or olive oil...it's thoroughly more enjoyable if you actually cook something with it.

Not to sidetrack the post or speak out of turn, but I have to say, some of the negativity and snarky responses on these boards are really discouraging sometimes. Maybe I'm just not "tough" enough, but it seems for every nice person that has good advice to offer, there is someone who just wants to shoot you down and tell you why you are doing it all wrong. I have only been here for a few days and have already felt belittled after asking a simple question (ironically, also related to coconut oil!).

It's one thing to offer a suggestion, but to say something is "stupid" just because it's not your preferred use of an item seems really unnecessary and mean for the sake of it. You say cooking with coconut oil is "what you're supposed to do" but, says who? I just posted a link of 50 different things you can use coconut oil for. Who is to say that any one is more useful than another?

Sorry to jump in and get involved with something that has little to do with me, but sometimes I don't think people are very aware of how their words can come off. As I'm certain you're not losing any sleep over someone else taking a spoonful of coconut oil, why go out of your way to make them feel silly or stupid for it?

I may or may not get attacked for this, and that's fine, but I just felt compelled to say something.

Anyway... coconut oil! Yay!!!
  • xWendyJonesx
    xWendyJonesx Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Where's the best place to buy coconut oil? I have to have some after reading through this.
    I've not tried it before.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Where's the best place to buy coconut oil? I have to have some after reading through this.

I buy mine at costco
  • marniesworld
    marniesworld Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I get mine at Trader Joe's. I think it's $5.99 a jar. Not sure how that compares with other places?
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm just not "tough" enough
    Possibly. There's a lot of good information on the boards if you can manage to filter through or ignore all the BS.

FWIW, I enjoy coconut oil in my coffee or to sauté vegetables.
  • MermaidTX
    MermaidTX Posts: 352 Member
    Options

I found mine at the grocery store. My mom gets hers from Vitacost (she buys the big almost-gallon size jars) - it's this one:
    http://www.vitacost.com/vitacost-extra-virgin-certified-organic-coconut-oil-54-fl-oz-10

She keeps some in a pint mason jar in kitchen cabinet for cooking & using in her coffee, etc, and keeps the big jar in dark pantry.

I found a coupon here --- http://dealnews.com/Vitacost-108-oz.-Extra-Virgin-Organic-Coconut-Oil-for-26-free-shipping/828954.html

but dunno how long it's good for
  • Yeller_Sensation
    Yeller_Sensation Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I get mine at Trader Joe's. I think it's $5.99 a jar. Not sure how that compares with other places?

A 78-fl oz tub of Nutiva's extra virgin coconut oil at the Costco in my neck of the woods costs $21.99.

And I use coconut oil every day. It is the epicsauce.
  • xWendyJonesx
    xWendyJonesx Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Thank you, I'm in the UK, I've just found I can get it frm my local Holland and Barrett health food shop.
  • 4my2jays
    4my2jays Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I use it for cooking purposes, oil-pulling on occassion and I use it on my skin and for my hair. It is great. I love it.
  • sunnyskys2013
    sunnyskys2013 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I take it and i don't count it.

Wait, why wouldn't it count? There's 130ish calories in a tablespoon. If you want to eat it for health benefits (or suggested ones), great, but make sure you log the calories. There's not point in tracking if you aren't tracking accurately.

Because i take it as a supplement along with other vitamins that i don't count. Coconut oil is a good fat.
  • emc916
    emc916 Posts: 77
    Options
    I mix it with ghee and take shots of it on Saturday night. Gets me hammered..