Getting into weight lifting?

Options
Hi, guys.

I am trying really hard to motivate myself to get back to the gym and start tracking my diet properly again, but I'm in a weird place with it all right now.

I've known for years that weight lifting is in most cases a key component of losing weight and that everything can't be done by cardio. Whether or not this is true, I have always wanted to get into weight lifting, but honestly it's always been extremely intimidating to me and whenever people start to talk about it, it always gets extremely technical and kinda goes right over my head.

Does anyone have any recommendations for places where I can get information as a "beginner"? Workouts, information on sets/reps, movements, etc. I'm the type of person who always likes to be at least slightly aware of what I'm doing when I go into something.

**Also, while I'm aware it's probably the *best* option, please don't recommend a personal trainer at this time as I currently am unable to afford one and the only reason I have a gym membership right now is because the manager was generous enough to offer me a few months free due to some financial issues. With this post, I am specifically seeking out online resources.**

Replies

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Here's a good place to start: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

I started off by walking into a fitness store on whim and saying something along the lines of, "I'm losing weight and trying to hang onto muscle. I know I need to incorporate some sort of resistance training and I'm a raw beginner. Help!"

They told me to start with either resistance tubes or dumbbells. And since I was a 40-minute walk from home and I didn't know how many extra pounds I could carry that far (and I didn't have a durable bag, so it would have been a plastic shopping bag that likely would've torn on the way), I opted for tubes. I got some exercises from the Thera gear website (they've moved that section to a different host) and others from YouTube.

Meanwhile, I hit the library and signed out a bunch of books on strength training. When I thought I had the best one for me, I went to the bookstore and... bought a different one at the last minute. Going by your profile pic, it probably won't be the best fit for you (it's Strength Training for Women by Joan Pagano), but it was for me. It includes multiple exercises for each muscle and/or muscle group, gives starting weights/sets/reps, three progressive workouts and four weights-and-cardio workouts. For me, it's been a good fit.

So, check the link above, visit libraries, browse bookstores, go on YouTube or fitness gear websites.

• thescouselander77
    thescouselander77 Posts: 31 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    General advice - keep it simple at first. Focus on a few compound movements like bench press, squats, deadlifts, overhead press. Programs like starting strengh or strong lifts are a good start and easily accessible.

Since you won't have a PT available you'll need to work out how you can perfect your form - this is really important if you want to progress and not get injured. There's loads of good channels on YouTube that can help demonstrate correct form - a couple of my favourites are Athleanx and muscular strength but there are others too (just watch out for the bad ones) Once you have an idea of what to do have a go with light weight (just the bar or even a broom stick) and video yourself so you can see how your form looks and go from there.

• jayemes
    jayemes Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Start here https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Don't go to a fitness store and ask them. They're not experts. They're salespeople.

I started with strong lifts 5x5. Watch videos on proper form. I feel like they really helped me understand what to do and what not to do. Here's the website https://stronglifts.com/5x5/
    There are videos on how to do each move.
    Strong lifts also has a free app where you could track your progress

Take videos of yourself doing each move. I found them invaluable to correct form problems and not hurt myself.

If at some point you can get a PT just for one session to show you how to use the bars/rack and do the basic 5 moves, that would be great. If not, take the videos and make sure you're doing it like you're supposed to.

Lastly, ask someone lifting. Just not *while* we're lifting. We're happy to help a newbie.
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    Options
    If simplicity is your priority then have a look at strong lifts. Website sets it all out. It’s fine as a beginners programme. Very easy to follow with 4 lifts.

Yes the weights room is intimidating at first. But honestly after a few weeks you get used to it. I’m a 46 year old woman training on my own with a bunch of bros. Hardly ever see another woman. I’ve been at the iron game for 3 years now. The first couple of weeks were scary. Now it’s like my second home.
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    Options
    Oh and don’t stress about ‘ perfect form’. There is no such thing. Just try your best and watch the videos on the strong lifts site. You can post videos of your lifts in the bodybuilding forum. There’s a few qualified coaches who will usually help with feedback.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Oh and don’t stress about ‘ perfect form’. There is no such thing. Just try your best and watch the videos on the strong lifts site. You can post videos of your lifts in the bodybuilding forum. There’s a few qualified coaches who will usually help with feedback.

I agree with "perfect" tech not needed. Good tech... oh yea, go for good tech and the right weight. if weight is causing a tech failure. Lower weight.
  • thescouselander77
    thescouselander77 Posts: 31 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options

Agreed there's no such thing as perfect form but it's important not to use outright bad form; especially on something like a deadlift. Its also important to get good enough so the lift at least feels right and doesn't put anything in a position that might cause injury.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,735 Member
    Options
    It's also possible to start with bodyweight exercises at home, with minimal equipment. There are some beginner bodyweight programs in the thread people have suggested already, i.e., https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1.

Perhaps that would be less intimidating, as an on-ramp to strength training?
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I also like stronglifts 5x5 because it is a very easy to follow program. Only 5 lifts to learn. I am able to do all of the exercises with a very small gym.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    The absolute most important thing as a beginner is to actually begin. You will get more comfortable and as you do you can progress.

I'm currently helping a friend who is a complete beginner and very intimidated by the thought of using a barbell, she also finds the free weights section as a whole a bit intimidating.

So I'm helping her just get used to a variety of exercises based around pairing push and pull movements using a variety of machines, dumbbells, bodyweight and cable work. All are easy to get to started on and importantly very hard to do "wrong" and feel like a clown.

• bex1086
    bex1086 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I started Stronglifts 4 weeks ago, initially I hired a PT for the first 2 weeks so I had 6 sessions. I found his help invaluable to help me learn how to use the equipment, check my form and give me confidence to go ahead and do my stuff. I'm on week 2 of doing it myself and it's not scary at all. I go in, headphones on and just ignore everyone else. I've only ever received compliments on lifting heavy because the people at my gym aren't used to women doing it.

Couldn't tell you if it's giving physical results but I am getting stronger, I'm able to increase the weights almost every time.

Go for it!