How accurate is BMI

Options

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    180lbs does sound light for someone your height, but for a few examples, my son who is also 6ft 3 is 13 stone which is 182lbs - but he is really lean and probably his BMI is at the very low end of healthy. My husband is 6ft 1 and looks great at 14 stone which is 196lbs.
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I have nothing to add to the comments on the weight issue. But I see you are doing exercises for arthritic knees and I just wanted to say they work really well, but slowly, so do them diligently and keep doing them. My husband is obese and was nearly crippled by arthritic knees 2 years ago. Had to use a walker. He has not lost any weight but has been doing his exercises daily (in the swimming pool to take advantage of the water resistance and do things like squats which would be impossible at full body weight). It has done him the world of good and although he still has to use the walker for any distances his mobility is hugely improved, the pain has reduced and he has been able to reduce the dosage of his anti-inflammatory drugs.
  • yxba
    yxba Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    SnifterPug wrote: »
    I have nothing to add to the comments on the weight issue. But I see you are doing exercises for arthritic knees and I just wanted to say they work really well, but slowly, so do them diligently and keep doing them. My husband is obese and was nearly crippled by arthritic knees 2 years ago. Had to use a walker. He has not lost any weight but has been doing his exercises daily (in the swimming pool to take advantage of the water resistance and do things like squats which would be impossible at full body weight). It has done him the world of good and although he still has to use the walker for any distances his mobility is hugely improved, the pain has reduced and he has been able to reduce the dosage of his anti-inflammatory drugs.

Thank you for this. I really appreciate it. I hope that your husband will start to lose weight. Believe me. If i could do it so can he.
  • yxba
    yxba Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Had similar thought process except I was aiming for a carefully accounted 2500.

How much exercise were you able to do? I have mine a bit lower because sometimes with life i end up missing my exercises. And i found that it could wreak havoc with my mind game. I would get thoughts like this week was a waste and start thinking im gonna gain weight ect. I base my calories on still losing weight even with no exercise and view the exercise as a bonus. This helps me to remain positive at all times.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,987 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    OP: What does BMI have 2do w/your weight loss effort?

BMI was NOT designed to establish specific goals for weight loss or maintenance. It was ONLY designed as an indicator of one's risk for certain diseases, such as diabetes and heart diease, based on an arguably oversimplified correlation between one's weight and height.

Even if you reach a BMI of 22.5 (with a BW of 180 at 6'3"tall), that would only mean that you have reduced your risk for such diseases to "normal" but would be otherwise meaningless to your weight loss effort.

Forget about it!
  • rodnichols69
    rodnichols69 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    My doctor calls BMI voodoo math. As I read this, the math doesn't add up. Here is my reasoning:

1. Someone 6'3" who works averages more than 180 lbs. of lean mass, so the BMI chart puts you at 0% body fat.

2. My buddy is 6'3" 218 Lbs. and ~ 11% BF. His lean mass is 194 lbs.

3. I am 5'9" and have 158 lbs. of lean mass, which is just above an average build. At 180lbs., I am 12% BF

@rodnichols69 6'3" at 218 and 11% body fat is NFL wide receiver range of bodyfat for that height and weight. If all his measurements are accurate he's jacked/built, not your normal dude at LA Fitness.

He is exactly that size and looks nothing like a NFL receiver other than about a 2 pack of abs. The original question was how accurate is BMI. It is not accurate at all. It does not take lean mass into account or about 10 other factors that should be considered.

I would have to lose 9.5 lbs. of muscle to be at the top tier of the BMI scale for my height and still have some body fat.

BMI is a realistic benchmark for 80-90% of the population. It will correlate well with other measures such as bodyfat % and waist measurement (i.e, someone with an overweight/obese BMI will most likely be in the same category on the other measurements) and it easier to determine.

If someone is significantly overweight/obese on BMI, they should talk to their doctor and determine if there are other factors such as a high level of muscularity that mitigates the health threats associated with higher BMI. If one truly has a high level of muscle, and is being honest with themselves they know it (hint, it's not happening without extensive resistance training).

BTW 11-12% BF is fantastic and not what you typically see on your average gym goer and certainly not the average male on the street. Could I ask how you are determining BF%?

BTW - The BMI chart at 6' 3" = 195, not 180.

In the past 12 months my BF% has been measured using 3 different methods. Calipers and measuring at the gym, The gym's InBody Body composition scale, and a $275 exam. All were +/- 1%.

My beef with BMI - I had to renew my life insurance last year. My premium was going to sky rocket, because I was "obese". I had to pay $275 for an independent examination, which concluded I was 16.4% BF @ ~200 lbs. Those results had to go to a randomly subjective panel for approval.

My question is: with all our modern science and medicine, why do we lean on an astonomers equation from 1830?
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    OP: What does BMI have 2do w/your weight loss effort?

BMI was NOT designed to establish specific goals for weight loss or maintenance. It was ONLY designed as an indicator of one's risk for certain diseases, such as diabetes and heart diease, based on an arguably oversimplified correlation between one's weight and height.

Even if you reach a BMI of 22.5 (with a BW of 180 at 6'3"tall), that would only mean that you have reduced your risk for such diseases to "normal" but would be otherwise meaningless to your weight loss effort.

Forget about it!

The OP was formerly over 500 pounds. He was told by a doctor (granted not a surgeon who would be doing the surgery) he needed to get to 180 pounds for surgery to remove excess skin.

That prompted the discussion.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    My doctor calls BMI voodoo math. As I read this, the math doesn't add up. Here is my reasoning:

1. Someone 6'3" who works averages more than 180 lbs. of lean mass, so the BMI chart puts you at 0% body fat.

3. I am 5'9" and have 158 lbs. of lean mass, which is just above an average build. At 180lbs., I am 12% BF

@rodnichols69 6'3" at 218 and 11% body fat is NFL wide receiver range of bodyfat for that height and weight. If all his measurements are accurate he's jacked/built, not your normal dude at LA Fitness.

He is exactly that size and looks nothing like a NFL receiver other than about a 2 pack of abs. The original question was how accurate is BMI. It is not accurate at all. It does not take lean mass into account or about 10 other factors that should be considered.

I would have to lose 9.5 lbs. of muscle to be at the top tier of the BMI scale for my height and still have some body fat.

BMI is a realistic benchmark for 80-90% of the population. It will correlate well with other measures such as bodyfat % and waist measurement (i.e, someone with an overweight/obese BMI will most likely be in the same category on the other measurements) and it easier to determine.

If someone is significantly overweight/obese on BMI, they should talk to their doctor and determine if there are other factors such as a high level of muscularity that mitigates the health threats associated with higher BMI. If one truly has a high level of muscle, and is being honest with themselves they know it (hint, it's not happening without extensive resistance training).

BTW 11-12% BF is fantastic and not what you typically see on your average gym goer and certainly not the average male on the street. Could I ask how you are determining BF%?

BTW - The BMI chart at 6' 3" = 195, not 180.

In the past 12 months my BF% has been measured using 3 different methods. Calipers and measuring at the gym, The gym's InBody Body composition scale, and a $275 exam. All were +/- 1%.

My beef with BMI - I had to renew my life insurance last year. My premium was going to sky rocket, because I was "obese". I had to pay $275 for an independent examination, which concluded I was 16.4% BF @ ~200 lbs. Those results had to go to a randomly subjective panel for approval.

My question is: with all our modern science and medicine, why do we lean on an astonomers equation from 1830?

The 180 pounds in the discussion was what the OP was told he had to get to for skin removal surgery (he was 500 pounds).

That sucks on your insurance. If all they did was a DEXA Scan you got hosed, I paid $75 for one a month ago.

With that said, from an objective point of view, don't you think most people in the general population that are overweight/obese on BMI are also over fat when looking at BF%?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

Def not 11% with only a 2 pack... my profile pic, with a 6 pack, is me at 10-12% BF%... obviously the method to calculate BF% was not accurate for him
  • leopard1978
    leopard1978 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    First congrats on the journey this far!

BMI is a concept I abandoned nearly 40 years ago as young military person. Personal anecdotes aside, the BMI concept , created in the 1830s, creates guidelines for healthcare providers but is probably not a valid tool for individual goals. The Trefethen update to the BMI measurement would put the upper end of your healthy weight at 210 I believe. Attempts to quantify and calculate something as complicated as a human being are always going to flawed =)
  • rodnichols69
    rodnichols69 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »

Def not 11% with only a 2 pack... my profile pic, with a 6 pack, is me at 10-12% BF%... obviously the method to calculate BF% was not accurate for him

Yeah but you're flexing like a mad man. He has abs walking.
  • Chelle8070
    Chelle8070 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    BMI is outdated and isn't an accurate measure of fitness or health.