Homemade cup of soup for work - Just add boiling water

pamperedlinny
pamperedlinny Posts: 1,551 Member
edited January 2020 in Recipes
I have been experimenting with making my own cup a soup type mixes at home. Things like Creamy Tomato Soup with a tomato powder & dry milk base or minestrone with 3 minute noodles and freeze dried vegetables. I want more options of things I can just add hot water from the coffee machine and a few minutes later have something filling to keep me away from vending. Anyone have any ideas or recipes?

I'm using these more as snacks than meals. :wink:

Some things I've already made.....all of these are just add boiling water, cover for 5 minutes or so and enjoy.

Minestrone Vegetable Soup
1-1/2 tbsp powdered beef flavor base
2 tsp tomato powder
1/4 tsp Italian herb seasoning
1/8 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp onion powder
1/8 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup mixed freeze dried vegetables
1/3 cup quick-cooking pasta (I like the Ronzoni 3 minute elbows)
=============================================

Creamy Tomato and Basil
1/4 cup tomato powder
1/3 cup instant dried milk powder
2 tablespoons powdered chicken bone broth
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon onion powder
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
=============================================

Chicken Noodle Soup
2 tablespoons powdered chicken bone broth
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon onion powder
1/8 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon freeze dried spring onions
2 tablespoons freeze dried mixed vegetables
1/2 cup fine noodles egg noodles

Replies

• pamperedlinny
    edited January 2020
    Any thoughts are appreciated
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    Do you actually find these filling? I'd be starving if that was all I had for lunch.

• pamperedlinny
    Do you actually find these filling? I'd be starving if that was all I had for lunch.

Not for lunch. More like mid afternoon when lunch has been a couple hours past but I still have an hour before I go home and make dinner for the family.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member

Not for lunch. More like mid afternoon when lunch has been a couple hours past but I still have an hour before I go home and make dinner for the family.

Ah ok, I guess if it works for you why not!

• Dailly13
    Dailly13 Posts: 190 Member
    I would have to check the powders, to see what is actually in them and if they are as healthy as I thought.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,075 Member
    I have been experimenting with making my own cup a soup type mixes at home.

I do this kind of thing fairly often with leftovers (retired, so I don't need an "at work" instant soup). Often, I have some part of a box of broth/stock from cooking, so, to use it up, I take dried veg (my grocery sells jars of them in the spice section), perhaps leftover fresh cooked veg, diced protein (e.g., chicken), cooked rice if I have it, etc., plus herbs/spices/seasonings.

Makes an acceptable lunch/snack. I haven't dried dried tomato powder/etc., that's a good lead, thanks. I've been thinking about tiny noodles/pasta (dried) to be kept on hand as well, so that a handful would cook nicely in a couple of minutes for a soup addition. Good job.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,029 Member
    https://www.ruled.me/5-minute-keto-egg-drop-soup/

I like this one still even though I am not keto
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    There used to be some with mashed potato flakes. I never made any, but I knew some people who did. You could probably google it?
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    I think this is a great idea! Very creative and can be adapted to personal taste without all the artificial add-ins of commercial instant soup! You’ve inspired me to think about how I’d do the same thing!

First thing that crosses my mind is to wonder what would happen if you were to blitz some dried porcini mushrooms, added milk powder, maybe dried tarragon, garlic powder? I’d think about adding in a little dehydrated potato flakes to give a bit of body....🤔
  • pamperedlinny
    mjbnj0001 wrote: »
    I haven't dried dried tomato powder/etc., that's a good lead, thanks. I've been thinking about tiny noodles/pasta (dried) to be kept on hand as well, so that a handful would cook nicely in a couple of minutes for a soup addition. Good job.

I bought a small 4 oz pouch of tomato powder at first now sure how often I would use it but it's so convenient that I actually used it all pretty fast and ordered a 24 oz container on Amazon. I use it even at home for just a bit of tomato flavor when I don't want a whole can of paste or sauce.

Also, I've found any noodles that cook in 4 minutes or less are perfect. The 3 minute pasta, unflavored ramen, fine egg noodles, etc. The 4 minute or less cook time seems to be the line unless you're wanting to actually cook rather than add some boiling water. Instant rice is also a good and simple starch to add.
  • pamperedlinny
    I think this is a great idea! Very creative and can be adapted to personal taste without all the artificial add-ins of commercial instant soup! You’ve inspired me to think about how I’d do the same thing!

First thing that crosses my mind is to wonder what would happen if you were to blitz some dried porcini mushrooms, added milk powder, maybe dried tarragon, garlic powder? I’d think about adding in a little dehydrated potato flakes to give a bit of body....🤔

I'll have to try something like that and see what happens. I saw some powdered coconut milk and I'm wondering if the mushrooms, garlic, etc would work for a thai style dry soup... :yum:
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member

I'll have to try something like that and see what happens. I saw some powdered coconut milk and I'm wondering if the mushrooms, garlic, etc would work for a thai style dry soup... :yum:

I was just thinking something along the same lines as going with powdered coconut milk but in that case buy sliced dried shiitake mushrooms and blitz to a powder or fairly fine at least. I always have some of the powder handy for when I don't want to use a whole can. Maybe you could add an egg you whisk in at the end kind of like egg drop soup for some protein if that's not too much trouble.
  • pamperedlinny
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    Why complicate this when you might as well just purchase a good quality canned soup and call it a day?

Cans take up a lot of desk space if I'm leaving a couple there and I like to experiment. :smile:
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    I make ramen at work with just the seasoning packet and noodles, but I like to scramble in an egg or two so it is more like a noodly egg drop soup...but I microwave it...I'm not sure that would work if you truly only have access to the hot water and not a microwave...the egg might not cook just from the water...might be worth a try...
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    There was a Serious Eats post a while ago with what I think are some pretty good ideas: https://www.seriouseats.com/2014/09/diy-instant-noodle-cups-food-lab.html
  • pamperedlinny
    aokoye wrote: »
    There was a Serious Eats post a while ago with what I think are some pretty good ideas: https://www.seriouseats.com/2014/09/diy-instant-noodle-cups-food-lab.html

Great!