Options
2»

Replies

• RepswithRyan
    RepswithRyan Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    LvlUpStr wrote: »
    I have the squat standards here.

For a muscular woman of 80KG, a novice to novice squat would be 85KG. It appears 90KG-100KG would actually be intermediate-advanced for a squat which is impressive for someone new!

https://strengthlevel.com/strength-standards/squat/lb#standardsFemale

Why does anyone need a standard? How about they just start wherever they are? :huh:

The strength standards can give new weightlifters the goal of increasing their one rep max in relevance to other weightlifters and powerlifters, it can also give them an idea of where they are relevance to novice, intermediate, advanced and professional standards.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

For a muscular woman of 80KG, a novice to novice squat would be 85KG. It appears 90KG-100KG would actually be intermediate-advanced for a squat which is impressive for someone new!

Why does anyone need a standard? How about they just start wherever they are? :huh:

Yea I ignore these charts, in the past they made me feel bad about my numbers. Now I don't care since I compete with myself. Plus I don't even know my max since it's not my goal.
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    watts6151 wrote: »

How many muscular 80kg novice females have you come across 🤔

Well, the tables go from 40-120KG and there are women of all shapes and sizes at the barbell clubs or in powerlifting teams.

They also show the relevant weight to body weight ratio for each of the major lifts.

I asked how many YOU had come across in your 2 years of training ?

• dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I weigh 60. Most I’ve ever squatted was 90. Prob not to competition depth. I’m front squatting 55 at the moment for sets of 3. I’ve been strength training 3 years. Does any of this matter? Not really. Only to me. It’s progression over time that matters. Keep lifting everyone.

This ^^^
  • RepswithRyan
    Options
    I weigh 60. Most I’ve ever squatted was 90. Prob not to competition depth. I’m front squatting 55 at the moment for sets of 3. I’ve been strength training 3 years. Does any of this matter? Not really. Only to me. It’s progression over time that matters. Keep lifting everyone.

That's great news and that's your training philosophy.

I know everyone doesn't care about reaching professional standards or competing and I can respect that.

I think there are different groups of people when it comes to training philosophies. Some people like to workout at Planet Fitness while others like to workout at Iron Sport Gym.

Everyone is different.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options

That's great news and that's your training philosophy.

I know everyone doesn't care about reaching professional standards or competing and I can respect that.

I think there are different groups of people when it comes to training philosophies. Some people like to workout at Planet Fitness while others like to workout at Iron Sport Gym.

Everyone is different.

I was thrown off when you said the average beginner (someone who never lifted before or little experience) woman can lift that much. I am 180 lbs, been lifting for 3yrs and I can DL 205 lbs (comfortable 8 - 10 reps) but I worked up to that. Trying to get to 220 this year hopefully. 3 yrs ago NO WAY I could lift that on an average.

Everything is relative.
  • RepswithRyan
    Options

The strength standards can give new weightlifters the goal of increasing their one rep max in relevance to other weightlifters and powerlifters, it can also give them an idea of where they are relevance to novice, intermediate, advanced and professional standards.

As a competitive powerlifter, I know this. I know it pretty freaking well, actually. But I don't think a novice needs to know this. KISS principle and gauging your audience is pretty helpful in these boards, I've found.

Thank you.

What's the KISS principle?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

As a competitive powerlifter, I know this. I know it pretty freaking well, actually. But I don't think a novice needs to know this. KISS principle and gauging your audience is pretty helpful in these boards, I've found.

Thank you.

What's the KISS principle?

Keep It Simple, Stupid. (I didn't come up with the name and I'm not calling names. You can Google it.)
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options

Exactly. It simply doesn't matter towards your goal of aesthetics, strength, endurance, etc... what does matters long-term progress toward your goal well checking off short-term goals along the way.

Unless you are a competitor and you have a chance to win a competition it makes no difference other people's numbers are.

Just train and progress.