Weight training beginner

Options
I’ve started weight training. Always been pretty athletic and muscular so decided to embrace that and dedicate most of my gym time to weights. After months of no exercise and having piled on the pounds I rejoined my gym. First session I was on the hip adductor squeezing in so weights on inner thighs. I lifted 95kg. Second visit I lifted 105kg. It was tough but managed it several time’s. And no pain after (thought I’d be walking like John Wayne the following day)
Thing is I’ve been told firstly there’s no way I did that weight... and secondly if I did I shouldn’t be.
So I want to ask all you lovely people weight training... is that weight normal? And should I really not be pushing myself to lift that already???
TIA
Xxx

Replies

• kimspearey
    kimspearey Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Are u sure it was kg and not lbs? Only that’s very very heavy and if you are new I would have certainly expected some sort of aching/ Dom’s following on. Well done though if that weight is correct.
  • Pipsqueak1965
    Pipsqueak1965 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Yup - check for pounds or kilos. Also, were you moving through a full range - ie legs really wide apart to closed? Most people seem to just do little quick movements of about 6 inches ...
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend finding a good, well put together, progressive program to start with instead of just winging it with something like an ad/ab-ductor machine. A lot of people like the "Strong ..." programs, like Strong lift 5x5 or StrongCurves, but there are a lot of choices. Here's a thread mentioning a lot of them:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    What's normal for you isn't necessarily normal for someone else. But I agree that you should follow a program. What are your goals? If you just want strong inner thighs, then keep at the adductor machine. I prefer more well rounded routines.
  • Xtianne87
    Xtianne87 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    It was 105 kg... I was unsure and recorded a video and showed a PT... he was shocked! But yes definitely 105kg.. !!!
  • bretmartin09
    bretmartin09 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't get to caught up in the "Weight" on the stack but more so are you getting the rep range you need and are you getting a full range of motion. If your target rep range is...8-10 and you are getting that with good form, increase weight, if you are getting it with poor form, recruiting other muscles, or not getting your rep range.. decrease weight. Good lift.
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    GaryRuns wrote: »
    I'd recommend finding a good, well put together, progressive program to start with instead of just winging it with something like an ad/ab-ductor machine. A lot of people like the "Strong ..." programs, like Strong lift 5x5 or StrongCurves, but there are a lot of choices. Here's a thread mentioning a lot of them:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

This is good advice - look at Strong Liftd or Strong Curves - Pick one and follow it. Start with the basics first
  • RepswithRyan
    RepswithRyan Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    What type of lift? Was that a clean and jerk?

If it was a squat and deadlift, 90-100KG is average for a beginner.

You could go to a powerlifting gym and ask them to show you the technique as commercial trainers won't have as much knowledge regarding the technical aspects of the lifts.
  • RepswithRyan
    Options
    Xtianne87 wrote: »
    It was 105 kg... I was unsure and recorded a video and showed a PT... he was shocked! But yes definitely 105kg.. !!!

I see that's a cable and if it was a straight-arm pulldown, you could have been lifting with either momentum or your entire bodyweight.

If you are doing cable tricep extensions with that weight at strict form, that's impressive.

Remember, there are a lot of videos online explaining how to do each exercise but nothing beats being shown in person by an experienced weightlifter.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    LvlUpStr wrote: »

You could go to a powerlifting gym and ask them to show you the technique as commercial trainers won't have as much knowledge regarding the technical aspects of the lifts.

It was the yes/no machine :laugh:
  • RepswithRyan
    Options

It was the yes/no machine :laugh:

Ah, I see. :D

Well, I suppose it's somewhat of a start towards the squat.
  • jbruced
    jbruced Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    The hip adductor and abductor machines are two of my favorites. I use them at maximum capacity for the particular brand of machine; 305 lbs. The thing to know about them is that if you are performing them at near the end of the concentric rnage of motion you will be able to move a lot of weight. If you are moving through a full range of motion you usually need to lower the amount of weight. On the adductor machine start with the legs spread wide apart then close them. Hold the closed position for 1 second then slowly allow the legs to spread apart again over 3 to 4 seconds; eccentric part of the movement. Most people I see using these machines perform the range of motion way too quickly. Apply the same technique with the abductor machine. Start with a lower weight, maybe 70 kg in your case in a rep and set range that meets your needs. Slowly work your way up the weight range.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Some people are sensitive to training, some are resistant, and most are somewhere in between.

I wouldn't get caught up in how much weight, but the progress and how you respond to different reps schemes, volume, frequencies, etc...

A arbitrary number of weight doesn't mean you are pushing your self. The amount of effort does. The weight is just data to know how you are progressing hopefully.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options

For who, a man?

• RepswithRyan
    Options
    dbanks80 wrote: »

For who, a man?

I would say either.

I think most women start the squat at around 70-90KG if they have some leg development to begin with which appears to be the case here.
  • RepswithRyan
    Options
    I have the squat standards here.

For a muscular woman of 80KG, a novice to novice squat would be 85KG. It appears 90KG-100KG would actually be intermediate-advanced for a squat which is impressive for someone new!

https://strengthlevel.com/strength-standards/squat/lb#standardsFemale
  • RepswithRyan
    Options
    watts6151 wrote: »
    I have the squat standards here.

For a muscular woman of 80KG, a novice to novice squat would be 85KG. It appears 90KG-100KG would actually be intermediate-advanced for a squat which is impressive for someone new!

https://strengthlevel.com/strength-standards/squat/lb#standardsFemale

How many muscular 80kg novice females have you come across 🤔

Well, the tables go from 40-120KG and there are women of all shapes and sizes at the barbell clubs or in powerlifting teams.

They also show the relevant weight to body weight ratio for each of the major lifts.