The most bang for your buck - 400 Calories or less

Options
Trying to start a fun thread:

If you had only 400 calories left at the end of the day for dinner, what would you eat to get the most bang for your buck (a.k.a what will make you feel the most full on 400 cals)?

I'm asking this because I sometimes end up with 400-500 cals left in my daily total and am running out of ideas..

I would make a breakfast for dinner (one of my favorites):

-2 fried eggs: 180 calories
- 1 piece of whole-grain toast: 80 calories
- 3 strips of turkey bacon - 75 calories
- 1 tbs sugar free raspberry jam: 25 calories

Grand total: 360 calories

Replies

• rjapak
    rjapak Posts: 1
    Options
    Spaghetti Squash w/ Roasted Red Pepper Sauce - 260 Calories
  • Danni3ll3
    Danni3ll3 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Taco salad
  • joyfulhappyheart
    joyfulhappyheart Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    1 chicken breast and 2 cups green beans. 208 calories, 12 g fiber

One sugar free vanilla pudding cup. Mix in the juice of 1/2 fresh lime. -- tastes just like key lime. 60 calories

probably add a salad if I was still starving.
  • scarrletti_girl
    scarrletti_girl Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    any favorite soup in a can with oyster soup crackers lol that is what I am eating now. I only had 600 cals and now I still have like 200 cals left lol
  • cwaters120
    cwaters120 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    My favorite is taco salad: lots of romain lettuce and taco meat made with 94% lean ground turkey, low sodium taco seasoning, lots of chopped onion, green pepper and fresh tomatoes, toss it over the lettuce, top with an oz of squished Fritos corn chips, a half tbsp vegan mayo, and hot taco sauce - I can't do dairy or gluten and I don't miss it in this. Not to mention I am full nearing stuffed if I make 400 calories out of this :ohwell: OHHH and its even better over spaghetti squash :bigsmile:
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    tilapia cooked with lime juice, chili powder and garlic powder in a skillet with 0 calorie cooking spray
    delicious over orzo

grilled chicken over orzo with pesto

taco salad (minus the tortilla shell. I add black beans, seasoned 94% lean ground beef, low fat sour cream and fresh sliced avacado over 2 cups shredded iceberg
  • dazzer1975
    dazzer1975 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    probably 2 tins of tuna and an apple... IF I was actually hungry

i like the chicken breast/piece of fish with a few nice green veg suggestions too...can't beat that kind of meal
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Sugar snap peas (2.5 cups)
    1.5 tsp sesame oil
    1 tablespoon sesame seeds
    3.5 oz of extra firm tofu

Heat oil in pan. Throw in cubed up tofu until it becomes a little toasted. Add sugar snap peas and cook for about 3 minutes and toss in seeds.

Super yummy, filling and only 294 calories!
  • MD1978
    MD1978 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    BBQ chicken breast and a big veggie salad with light dressing & croutons.
    or
    Taco Salad (keep the cheese light)
    or
    Stir Fry Veggies & Meat over rice
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Scallops or a lobster tail & a baked sweet potato w/ cinnamon and maybe a bit of butter

I don't even crave dessert after eating that kind of dinner. :)
  • A_Warrior_Princess
    A_Warrior_Princess Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    taco salad (minus the tortilla shell. I add black beans, seasoned 94% lean ground beef, low fat sour cream and fresh sliced avacado over 2 cups shredded iceberg

THIS!!!!
  • muchadoaboutme2000
    muchadoaboutme2000 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    2 turkey meatloaf "cupcakes" with mashed sweet potato and sweet/spicy ketchup. Steamed snap peas, and raspberry tea. Yuummmmmm
  • forbiddendonut
    forbiddendonut Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Soup or salad. They are by far the most bang for your buck calorie wise. I usually have one or both every single day, swapping out the meats and veggies. My favorites - chicken tortilla soup, 150 calories a cup the way I make it, and salad with spinach leaves, tomatoes, mushrooms, Annie's lite balsamic vinagrette, and grilled chicken for about 230 calories.
  • ThreasaRenee82
    Options
    Well there are lots of meals that you can have that will fill you up for 400 or less calories. My favorites are baked fish or chicken with bell peppers and some fruit. Plus a small amount of carbs. The other day I made mashed potato pancakes and was able to have a little with my fish and still be under. I am sure there are healthier carbs that I could have eaten, but they helped with my bad food cravings, knowing I was still able to eat something I like, but portioned so I didn't eat to much of them!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    100g of this

1338221500-87057700.jpg
  • letmebangbro
    letmebangbro Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Bake talipia, hallibut(w/e fish you want) season a little salt and pepper, cayenne for that spice 4oz 100 cals
    Burger buns 200 cals

100 cals left
    add any kinda of sauce you like into the minced talipia, mayo, dill, etc
    Can add onions or even cheese to fill the rest up.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Mixed bean salad dressed with lemon juice and fresh cilantro..all natural,high in protein , no cooking required and no dead animals.

add pasta if you like :-)
  • jennyrebekka
    jennyrebekka Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    lots of good ideas here!
  • lucasmoten
    lucasmoten Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    If I'm at home, this would be either 2.5 - 3 servings of oatmeal, or 2 cantaloupes if I had 2 sitting around!
    I guarantee you that if you sit and eat 2 cantaloupes, you'll feel full.

If I'm out, then I'd probably have 2 orders of 4 piece nuggets from McDonalds. (380 calories)
  • MermaidTX
    MermaidTX Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Chicken Breast baked - topped with layers of jalapeno, bacon & monterey jack cheese + a cup of homemade creamy broccoli cauliflower soup.

Homemade shrimp creole, Green onion n jalapeno cornbread

Tuna or chicken salad on a big bed of leafy greens (romaine & baby spinach)

Bowl of homemade chili topped with sour cream & some shredded cheese