is exercise better in the early a.m. or P.m.??

Options
2»

Replies

• madtownjeremy
    Options
    In terms of benefit, it really doesn't matter. Exercise after sleep on an empty stomach being better has no real scientific backing, but more power to you if you feel that it works for you.

I find that lifting too late in the day keeps me up at night, but again, whatever works for you.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I perform best with endurance events in the AM...but usually workout at lunch 'cuz I also hate getting up early (or earlier than I already have to)...but my lifting sessions are always better in the evening. It's really all about whenever you can give it as much as you can give it.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Exercise is best at whatever time you are most likely to DO IT.
    True story.

:flowerforyou:
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't believe it matters when you work out, and I don't think that changing the time of your workouts would bust your plateau UNLESS by changing the time of day you increased the intensity of your workouts causing you to burn more calories.

I typically exercise right before bed because after I get off work is about the only time I really have time to do it. It hasn't affected my sleep cycles at all.
  • Yanagibashi
    Yanagibashi Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I like the mornings because it's cooler and there are fewer people out. I also go in the evenings but I have to make sure I stop 2 or more hours before bed or I'm hyper. Then again, I'm a bit hyper anyway when I feel good so...

In terms of the calories you burn, I doubt it make s huge difference. You're probably a bit more likely to lose weight if you're exercising when it's hot but that's mostly water weight anyway.
  • Cbefitforlife
    Cbefitforlife Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I say mornings, because you get it done first thing to start your day, however; If you work a shift where you have a different sleep schedule , you just do what you can do for you. I just think that after a morning workout, you have jump started your metabolism for the whole day! ;)
  • JusticeGirl25
    JusticeGirl25 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I personally like to exercise in the morning because it's a) cooler in the morning than at night and b) I'm tired when I get home from work and don't really want to work out.