Any advice for choosing a shelter dog?

Just_Mel_
Just_Mel_ Posts: 3,992 Member
My daughters and I have been wanting to adopt a fur child for the past couple years but were unable to until now. Tomorrow we are going to a local shelter to try and find our new baby. Does anyone have any advice on how to choose the right dog? The only thing we know is that we want a female and probably not a puppy.
Β«13

Replies

• cowsfan12
    cowsfan12 Posts: 6,042 Member
    @mbaker566 might be able to help here
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Check to see if there is a rescue organization for the breed(s) you'd be interested in close by you. These non-profit organizations are run by people who adore the breed. They don't all work like this but we got our sheltie through one and it was a great experience. The organization gets dogs from owners who have to give them up, shelters, etc. The dogs are all vet checked and any health issues taken care of. The organization has foster homes where the dogs will stay for a few weeks. This allow the organization to see it the dog is house trained, how it interacts with other animals, small children, etc. The adoption fee it typically a bit more than a traditional shelter, but you know more about the dog you adopt. Plus most of them will gladly take the dog back and refund your money if there is an issue (someone in the house turns up allergic, etc).

Best of luck.
  • emeraldeyes2020
    emeraldeyes2020 Posts: 231 Member
    lx1x wrote: Β»
    Let the dog choose you.. not the other way around. Do the research on the breeds and their temperament.

Agree with this , good luck with your new addition to your family πŸ‘
  • Tinydancer106
    Tinydancer106 Posts: 3,678 Member
    First.. that is awesome πŸ€—πŸ’—...congrats on your decision!

And second, you've gotten great advice so far and I'm no expert but I've had 7 dogs in my life and all from shelters. They were all different except the last two which were terriers....a silky who ended up looking like Benji 🀣 so dont be surprised if you do get a puppy and they may not be exactly what you think they are.....and our latest yorkie sweetheart .....if you live in an apartment or small home yorkies and terrier in general are great dogs ...playful and sweet but small enough to not feel overwhelmed.

Those are things to take into consideration...your environment....how much play time they'll need....certain breeds while love attention are more loners while others need constant attention....shedding or not? Can be overwhelming believe me
    ..my fav dog was a husky who would walk by our couch while shedding and leave a lovely sheet of shedding fur along the way....some people hate that so ...ya know things like that is good to decide on or at least acknowledge πŸ€·πŸ»β€β™€οΈ

In every case the dog just sort of picked me ....but if you can't make up your mind I know the staff at our local rescue were super helpful and told us about certain issues we needed to take into consideration....hyperactive....biter....barker....etc.

I would suggest if you don't find your dog the first time around ....because that happens sometimes ....you Will!

I'm so excited for you!! And would love to hear/see who picked you! LolπŸ˜πŸ€—πŸ•πŸΆπŸ’—
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    edited February 2020
    If you find one that seems like a good prospect for your family, ask the staff caring for them what they notice about the individual dogs personality/behaviour.

Maybe ask if you can take them on a trial basis to see if they fit in well with your home environment/lifestyle - you never know how an animal may adjust in a new environment. Most people who are in the animal care industry want the best for the animal and are totally willing to do this...it's not about finding a home for the animal, it's about finding the 'right' home, because they all have one!

❀❣❣

Please do share your new family member when he/she arrives!
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    lx1x wrote: Β»
    Let the dog choose you.. not the other way around. Do the research on the breeds and their temperament.

Yep. When we went to the house of the person who was running the rescue organization we were sitting in their screened in porch. They let 5-6 dogs in and one came over and sat between our 2 boys. One of the kids said, well she wants to go with us and she did.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    In most cases, you don't know for sure about breed(s), nor history, so be ready for anything once you get her home. Be patient and expect that it could take a year for the dog to really settle in and show her true colors... but IMO, it's soooo worth it.
  • isalsayourface123
    isalsayourface123 Posts: 2,153 Member
    this one looks nice .....

rabies_p3195181_p3241810.jpg

I vote this one
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Thanks for all the tips! We are about to go check out the shelter babies. Will definitely post if/when we get ours!

you're welcome.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Like others said, think about your lifestyle and how to pup needs to fit into it. Be candid with the staff about it and let them guide you, they know the animals.

Be patient the first few weeks, it will take the new pup about 2 weeks to adjust to your families routine and then things will get easier.

Enjoy your new family member!
  • Tinydancer106
    Tinydancer106 Posts: 3,678 Member
    1kzef8o6ptzz.jpg
    umznl47ra5tk.jpg
    y431awzwp20l.jpg

This pretty lady chose us. 5 year old good girl. We are picking her up on Monday after we get all her stuff and get the house ready for her. I think we are naming her Barbara. 😊

Omg!!! Loove this! And so happy for you all! She is lovely! πŸ•πŸ’•πŸ’•And I love the name tooπŸ˜‚πŸ‘πŸ€—
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    What a beauty! Congrats!
  • _Miss_chievous_
    _Miss_chievous_ Posts: 2,765 Member
    1kzef8o6ptzz.jpg
    umznl47ra5tk.jpg
    y431awzwp20l.jpg

This pretty lady chose us. 5 year old good girl. We are picking her up on Monday after we get all her stuff and get the house ready for her. I think we are naming her Barbara. 😊

Aww ❀ she's a beauty 😍 congrats!